Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Cpap user since 2011

Sex: Male

RE: Chin straps (sigh)
(06-01-2014 11:37 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 07:58 PM)HoseMan Wrote:  I've also found that if I use a little vick's vapor rub on the bottom part of the nasal mask It seem's to seal off a little better.

It's recommended that you use something that won't degrade the silicone pillows. Lanolin cream is sold in drug stores, marketed as a salve for nursing mothers, you can find it in the baby aisle. I love the stuff.

I use the vick's so it will open me up more.Haven't had a problem with the cushion degrading.Never hurt's to try something.It may work for me.But,other's it want.
06-03-2014 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I had a pleasant surprise this morning. Yesterday I met with my genius sewing-lady friend because I had bought some additional 1 1/2 inch elastic to make a new chin strap (extra tight this time). When I looked at my data in SleepyHead this morning I had my first ever night with zero leaks! Yay!

I should also add that my friend introduced me to a new product that I didn't know existed - diaper pins. I had been hand sewing my custom home-made chin straps because regular safety pins sometimes come apart in the middle of the night. The diaper pins are much more secure. I like them so much that I found a Chinese place on Amazon that offered a pack of 50 for $3.57 with free shipping and bought them.

I should also mention that I found the 1 1/2 inch elastic in a fabric store where it cost me $1 a yard, although my friend told me that $1 a yard is an excellent price. I had previously bought several yards of 3/4 inch elastic for the back straps at $0.75 a yard. I'd like to point out to those who are buying commercial chin straps from a DME or online supplier for $15 to $40 or so that my chin straps cost me less than a buck apiece. They last only a couple months before the elastic loses too much of its stretchiness, but who cares?
06-16-2014 11:26 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(06-16-2014 11:26 AM)JJJ Wrote:  I had a pleasant surprise this morning. Yesterday I met with my genius sewing-lady friend because I had bought some additional 1 1/2 inch elastic to make a new chin strap (extra tight this time). When I looked at my data in SleepyHead this morning I had my first ever night with zero leaks! Yay!

I should also add that my friend introduced me to a new product that I didn't know existed - diaper pins. I had been hand sewing my custom home-made chin straps because regular safety pins sometimes come apart in the middle of the night. The diaper pins are much more secure. I like them so much that I found a Chinese place on Amazon that offered a pack of 50 for $3.57 with free shipping and bought them.

I should also mention that I found the 1 1/2 inch elastic in a fabric store where it cost me $1 a yard, although my friend told me that $1 a yard is an excellent price. I had previously bought several yards of 3/4 inch elastic for the back straps at $0.75 a yard. I'd like to point out to those who are buying commercial chin straps from a DME or online supplier for $15 to $40 or so that my chin straps cost me less than a buck apiece. They last only a couple months before the elastic loses too much of its stretchiness, but who cares?

Thanks for the tip JJJ,

We're already wandering the baby department isles of the "five & dime" for HPA lanolin, so we'll all be on the lookout for diaper pins too!

I use regular safety pins on my P10 straps and they have been fine. but I'll check out the diaper pins for the chinstrap if not the P10.

I suppose the wider (up to a point) the better on the elastic? I'll check with Mrs. Retired_Guy and see what she has in her sewing room. I'd go look, but that's a place I'm frightened to go......
06-16-2014 12:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,583 Today 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Overslept last night, forgot what day it was *sigh* Beej 8 364 11-20-2016 01:59 PM
  New Chin Strap experiment tonight FrankNichols 4 352 09-13-2016 03:41 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Need help/advice with chin strap Lanco 11 776 09-10-2016 04:10 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Best chin straps for women somnia16 2 240 08-28-2016 08:37 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Chin strap and duct tape SaldusMiegas 8 646 07-06-2016 08:15 PM
  Chin strap covering mouth? coldspaghetti 5 443 06-26-2016 01:26 PM
Last Post: surferdude2