Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinese and Alternative Medicine for Sleep Apnoea
RE: Chinese Medicine & Sleep Apnoea
(08-15-2015, 09:58 PM)me50 Wrote: DB

well personally I would rather take lavender gel caps than xanax and that is the type of things that I'm speaking of

Yes, but that's not homeopathy. I'm personally reluctant to take any of these herbals or complimentaries simply because I don't know what's in them. They are not subject to the same testing and regulatory requirements as "proper" drugs and experience here in Australia has been that quality control is lax. Further, the great majority have never been subject to the types of double blind controlled trials that proper drugs are.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2015, 10:39 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(08-15-2015, 09:58 PM)me50 Wrote: DB

well personally I would rather take lavender gel caps than xanax and that is the type of things that I'm speaking of

Yes, but that's not homeopathy. I'm personally reluctant to take any of these herbals or complimentaries simply because I don't know what's in them. They are not subject to the same testing and regulatory requirements as "proper" drugs and experience here in Australia has been that quality control is lax.

I believe studies in Canada have shown this, too. Buying herbal medicines seems to be similar to buying street drugs in that you don't really know what you are getting.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
We did sampling of quite a few brands of herbal medicines, many of them big name brands form Switzerland, Germany, France, the UK and the US, in our labs, and all showed to be dubious in content - often the active ingredient was anywhere from a fifth of what they claimed to x-times the amount they claimed - there was no rigorous quality control and we sent recommendations to the Swiss customs to block several brands. Only very few, and not all of them Swiss, were as advertised (Bach Flower remedies were, but some of them contained substances that dangerously interact with pharmaceuticals, and none showed to have strong medicinal use - mostly placebo effect, methinks, but the study was designed to examine what was in the stuff as opposed to the claims as to what was in it, and not to look if it really did anything). In a few cases we found dangerous substances in them. Very bad indeed. If they were as rigorously controlled as the pharmaceutical industry (and they SHOULD be! They are claiming medicinal quality cures on these things) then I think it would be a lot better for everyone. We also found levels of mercury and heavy metals in several Chinese cures. Why is a bit beyond us - it may have to do with the soil and water in which they are grown or it maybe part of the curative process. Just be careful consuming Chinese herbal preparations that come from China.
Post Reply Post Reply
a lot of pharmaceuticals are produced in China as well and we have to be careful about those but we don't know where the pharmacy we use gets their drugs from. And, if we do know where they get their drugs from, I bet, at least in the US, it would be hard to find a pharmacy that doesn't get a bulk of their drugs from China. This is just what works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe there are rigorous enough quality controls for generic drugs either. Bioavailability has to be within a range of the real thing at initial licensing, but I don't believe there is ongoing monitoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure how it works in the US, but here regular spot checked governmental lab sampling is the norm of all medications imported for sale, and for those made locally, so very little gets past them. Actually for all imported food, too, and local products. They stick their nose into everything, to be frank, but I am pretty glad of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a difference between homeopathic and holistic? I can look up the definitions but that isn't my question. I am not sure how thorough the FDA is in the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2015, 05:12 PM)me50 Wrote: Is there a difference between homeopathic and holistic? I can look up the definitions but that isn't my question. I am not sure how thorough the FDA is in the US.

Holistic medicine treats the whole system - mind, body and spirit. It doesn't just look at one symptom in isolation. There's something to be said for this approach, but there's a lot of quackery and mumbo-jumbo involved as well.

Homeopathy is pure bunkum. They take one drop of an active ingredient and dilute it in 100 ml water. The more dilute it is, the more powerful it is, so they take one drop of the diluted solution and dilute that in 100 ml of water. And so on 5 or 6 or 8 times, so that the final product is so dilute there is statistically no chance of even a single molecule of the original ingredient remaining in any given dose. Following this logic of the more dilute the better, your best chance of a homeopathic cure would come from not using it at all.

There's a lot of additional claptrap around homeopathy, but what I said above is the basic guts of it.

The problem with all these fringe and fraud medicines is that they encourage people to avoid proper, tried and tested therapies. People have died of cancer because they took homeopathic remedies (ie water!) instead of going on chemotherapy, which would have saved them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 05:33 PM)C-PAP Wrote: Don't knock it, it's a different approach that has worked for thousands of years ..pretty ancient stuff. There's a lot that western medicine can't deal with. Maybe a bit of this and a bit of that is the right approach?

No. TCM is 99% quackery. Just because a lot of fools believe in it doesn't make it any better.

People have been stupid for thousands of years. (Including Westerners.) There have always been faith healers, snake oil salesmen, phony priests, etc. Even if you believe, for instance, that Christian prayer helps, you probably believe that Hindu healers, Sikh healers, Taoists, various tribal religions, Baal, Horus, Druids, etc. are all wrong. The fact that a lot of people believe in it means nothing. Radium was a miracle cure for everything.

For many years, many people believed in bloodletting. They thought malaria comes from bad air. Many people believed that all illness was caused by evil spirits. Laxatives were the cure for everything. "All natural" opium was a miracle cure.

There are even a lot of poor deluded fools who still believe in homeopathy.

Faith healing and quackery convince a lot of stupid people that they're feeling better. You might as well just try prayer.

Good medicine is a question of science and statistics, not a popularity contest.

Don't forget these TCM people are the scumbags who are killing off rhinos and tigers for use in their quack medicines.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2015, 09:55 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(08-16-2015, 05:12 PM)me50 Wrote: Is there a difference between homeopathic and holistic? I can look up the definitions but that isn't my question. I am not sure how thorough the FDA is in the US.

Holistic medicine treats the whole system - mind, body and spirit. It doesn't just look at one symptom in isolation. There's something to be said for this approach, but there's a lot of quackery and mumbo-jumbo involved as well.

Homeopathy is pure bunkum. They take one drop of an active ingredient and dilute it in 100 ml water. The more dilute it is, the more powerful it is, so they take one drop of the diluted solution and dilute that in 100 ml of water. And so on 5 or 6 or 8 times, so that the final product is so dilute there is statistically no chance of even a single molecule of the original ingredient remaining in any given dose. Following this logic of the more dilute the better, your best chance of a homeopathic cure would come from not using it at all.

There's a lot of additional claptrap around homeopathy, but what I said above is the basic guts of it.

The problem with all these fringe and fraud medicines is that they encourage people to avoid proper, tried and tested therapies. People have died of cancer because they took homeopathic remedies (ie water!) instead of going on chemotherapy, which would have saved them.

yeah I was checking on this thanks for the information my doctor is more holistic where she will do testing if she feels like it is necessary and treat accordingly and she gives her patients with choice if they want to go with pharmaceuticals because their insurance covers it or if they want to use a different product as an example when I was having trouble with my ear she ordered an MRI and then treated that accordingly and she gives me lavender gel caps because that was my choice to see if it helps me sleep better tomorrow I will read more about homeopathy but that's not what my doctor does and I do like having the option of not having to use pharmaceutical if I choose not to but at the same time she will order test and she does treat the whole body.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 399 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 442 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.