Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinese and Alternative Medicine for Sleep Apnoea
RE: Chinese Medicine & Sleep Apnoea
(08-17-2015, 09:59 AM)me50 Wrote: DocWils

I sent it to you in a PM, not for you to figure out me but to show you why I am a little bit concerned and yea, I get the gatekeeper receiptionist thing so the doc can see patients but when a doc instructs a patient to do something then we need to do it and even more importantly, the receptionist should not be practicing medicine and telling a patient they can take certain things as they don't know the patient's medical issues and whether any of the medications can conflict with medication that the doc is considering.

Off my soap box but opinion remains the same

Which is usually when I sack the receptionist, if I get wind of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Osteopathy is interesting in the US. It's also different from osteopathy in other countries. It's every bit as legitimate in the US as MD.

I think Its reputation has been somewhat tainted by associating it (probably incorrectly) with chiropracty. I also tend to confuse DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) with OD (Doctor of Optometry).

My understanding is that a US osteopath (DO) is basically a "real" MD plus osteopath training. They like the term "osteopathic physician."

I get the impression that some doctors get DO instead of MD designation because of limited admission numbers and other impediments that keep the number of MD's down. Throw in conspiracy theories about the medical mafia artificially keeping the numbers of MD's down to cut down on competition.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
In Britain it is the same - it is a full 4 years education plus a few years internship. The same for chiropracty in Canada. In the US the standard for chiropracty is considerably more limited. There are no schools for either in Switzerland that I am aware of - most every osteopath practising here is UK trained, some form N.A., chiropractors mostly from N.A.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have sight problems you can confuse OO with OD and DO, but only one can probably fix you up.

OAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doc Wils and DeepBreathing- what a breath of fresh air. There are so few willing to present the inconvenient truths of the rampant fraudulent practices in alternative medicine. I began my research in 1989 when I watched friend after friend become literally 'hypnotized' by gifted manipulative practicioners
Post Reply Post Reply
ZW, I am a doctor - do you honestly think I would be quiet about snake-oil? Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if a mod might be reading this and change the thread title to "Chinese and Alternative medicine for Sleep Apnoea." ...perhaps if I report this post maybe ...thanks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 04:54 AM)C-PAP Wrote: I wonder if a mod might be reading this and change the thread title to "Chinese and Alternative medicine for Sleep Apnoea." ...perhaps if I report this post maybe ...thanks Smile

I've changed the title in your firs post and it seems to be coming up on the index with the new title. I can't change each of the individual posts though (well I could, but I don't have time...)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 05:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 04:54 AM)C-PAP Wrote: I wonder if a mod might be reading this and change the thread title to "Chinese and Alternative medicine for Sleep Apnoea." ...perhaps if I report this post maybe ...thanks Smile

I've changed the title in your firs post and it seems to be coming up on the index with the new title. I can't change each of the individual posts though (well I could, but I don't have time...)

Oh thanks a lot Smile the M in Medicine should have been capitalized, that's my error (I have ongoing tiredness which I'm hoping to eventually sort out, and prone to making stupid little mistakes Smile )
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 02:02 AM)DocWils Wrote: ZW, I am a doctor - do you honestly think I would be quiet about snake-oil? Wink

Sadly, too many doctors these days are quiet about snake oil. It's even getting into the medical training programs and seemingly legitimate medical groups and hospitals. I'd like to think it's a USA thing, but I think I've heard about a problems with this in Europe, too.

e.g. http://www.csicop.org/si/show/state-spon...ia_nurses/

BTW, I used to really love reading the James Randi Educational Foundation web page for various kinds of quackery and fraud, but James has sort of retired and vastly cut back on his activities.

There's some really great skeptic web sites listed on his web page here: http://web.randi.org/swift/archives/03-2015

Skeptics are right more often but less happy.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 147 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 398 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 442 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.