Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinstrap doesn't prevent mouth breathing, how to solve?
RE: Chinstrap doesn't prevent mouth breathing, how to solve?
(08-06-2016, 05:19 AM)Snurkel Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 04:41 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I went down that path, mouth breathing, and failed to solve it. I tried, tape (recommended by some doctors, not by others), gluing my lips together with dental adhesive, ace bandage wrapped over my mouth, dual chin straps, tongue sticking, etc, etc, etc... many many methods, some worked for a day or two before I would figure out a way to defeat it once asleep.

I ended up with the F10 FFM, and it has it's problems also, with being bumped around as I toss and turn, and spontaneous leaks when the pressure is over 15.5. I am still working on these problems.

What keeps me going is that I feel so much better when I get even a partially successful nights sleep, and the stories here of people that have managed to tame the mask beast...

Good luck and never give up!

Thanks Frank for the heads up! I'm already looking into reviews of FFM's mentioned here; the Simplus and the Amara. They are of the same make as my current mask, which is very comfortable so I'm quite hopeful one of them will work out.
Will call the sleep madam on Monday, and see if I can get one here soon. Indeed, lets tame that breath and make it go where it should go!

Hi there,
The Simplus is a Fisher and Paykel mask. The Amara View is Respironics. Please also note that there is a Resprionics Amara mask, which is a typical FFM. The Amara View is the one that covers mouth and only the bottom part of the nose.

Good luckSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
The burping usually goes away with time. If it doesn't, then raise the head of the bed a few inches. Put something under the feet, under the mattress, or under your pillow to raise you up so the air is released (or doesn't go down).

I gave up on chin straps and the like for lip leaks because they weren't really working, were a pain in the arse, and I really didn't like all that headgear on at the same time. I like simple. I'm blonde and Southern, bless my heart. A FFM meant one headgear. Simple.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 06:04 AM)cands Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 05:19 AM)Snurkel Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 04:41 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I went down that path, mouth breathing, and failed to solve it. I tried, tape (recommended by some doctors, not by others), gluing my lips together with dental adhesive, ace bandage wrapped over my mouth, dual chin straps, tongue sticking, etc, etc, etc... many many methods, some worked for a day or two before I would figure out a way to defeat it once asleep.

I ended up with the F10 FFM, and it has it's problems also, with being bumped around as I toss and turn, and spontaneous leaks when the pressure is over 15.5. I am still working on these problems.

What keeps me going is that I feel so much better when I get even a partially successful nights sleep, and the stories here of people that have managed to tame the mask beast...

Good luck and never give up!

Thanks Frank for the heads up! I'm already looking into reviews of FFM's mentioned here; the Simplus and the Amara. They are of the same make as my current mask, which is very comfortable so I'm quite hopeful one of them will work out.
Will call the sleep madam on Monday, and see if I can get one here soon. Indeed, lets tame that breath and make it go where it should go!

Hi there,
The Simplus is a Fisher and Paykel mask. The Amara View is Respironics. Please also note that there is a Resprionics Amara mask, which is a typical FFM. The Amara View is the one that covers mouth and only the bottom part of the nose.

Good luckSmile

Thansk Cand, for pointing that out! From the looks of both masks I assumed they were of the same make, but I guess by now there will be less and less difference between the basic construction of all masks.

Are you content with your Amara view? I just watched a Youtube vid in which a guy told the plastic rim to which the the soft cushion is attached started to hurt his face after a couple of nights. Do you wear it every night without problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 09:48 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The burping usually goes away with time. If it doesn't, then raise the head of the bed a few inches. Put something under the feet, under the mattress, or under your pillow to raise you up so the air is released (or doesn't go down).

I gave up on chin straps and the like for lip leaks because they weren't really working, were a pain in the arse, and I really didn't like all that headgear on at the same time. I like simple. I'm blonde and Southern, bless my heart. A FFM meant one headgear. Simple.

Hi Paula, I think I got rid of the burps: I switched back to CPAP the night before and spent last night burpless, just with regular releases of air through my chinstrapped lips. I already sleep for about a year with an elevated bed head end. It didn't do much for my tiredness (or my current burp urge) but a lot for my migraines though:-).
I like simple too (being blond and southern apparently leads to certain preferences:-)) and wouldn't mind to loose a a piece of the gear.
I also look forward to being able to mouth breathe again; my nose is always stuffed and the first 15 minutes of CPAPping always goes accompanied by a lot of beeps and other audio, and struggling for air.

Post Reply Post Reply
Taping has solved my mouth leaking issues ...I use 1/2 or 3/4 inch 3M Micropore tape. I apply it from the centre of upper lip over tightly closed lips and under chin. I fold over each end about 1/8 " to facilitate removal. I use nasal pillows...Airfit P10. Works for me ...of course I also try to keep my tongue properly positioned behind front teeth on the roof of the mouth but don't think it remains in that position throughout the entire night...I keep practising.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 10:29 PM)Jackiep Wrote: Taping has solved my mouth leaking issues ...I use 1/2 or 3/4 inch 3M Micropore tape. I apply it from the centre of upper lip over tightly closed lips and under chin. I fold over each end about 1/8 " to facilitate removal. I use nasal pillows...Airfit P10. Works for me ...of course I also try to keep my tongue properly positioned behind front teeth on the roof of the mouth but don't think it remains in that position throughout the entire night...I keep practising.

Or you could try a full face mask. They have an anti-asphyxiation valve. Moreover, they equalize the pressure so that even if you do open your airway to your mouth, air won't leak out.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an AG Industries chin strap. I take a folded piece of paper towel and place it in the chin pocket if the strap. Then I slide it up over my mouth. Chin straps used as intended don't work for me. It doesn't matter how tight your jaw is. Your lips have to be sealed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd give a FFM a tryout.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2016, 02:05 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Or you could try a full face mask. They have an anti-asphyxiation valve. Moreover, they equalize the pressure so that even if you do open your airway to your mouth, air won't leak out.

Well, sort of. I am currently using a F10 FFM and the problem is at higher pressures (I am up around 19 now) they do leak and there is a balancing act between tightening too tight and leaking a lot.

And when it leaks I get the same dry mouth I was getting with the P10 Nasal pillows. I have woken on occasion to find the bottom of the mask between my upper and lower lips and I was "happily" breathing through the gap, I think I opened my mouth wide and the mask slipped over the bottom lip.

I think the one thing that is certain is that we are all different and different things work for each of us. The only thing one can do is try as many different things as possible and see what works for them.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
After watching a utube video from a sleep doctor on how to make a great chin strap that really works...I made one.
You take a ball cap and cut off the front brim so you end up with a skull cap. You sew Velcro strips on the sides of the cap just above each ear. You use a non stretchable fabric or Velcro strip about 2-3 inches wide and sew Velcro strips on each end on a piece long enough to go under the chin and up each side of the face to mate with the Velcro on the sides of the cap. The cap stays in place all night which is the main problem with other chin straps that slip off the crown of the head .
It really works well. I also cut holes all over the cap for ventilation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 847 6 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 181 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,582 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.