Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinstrap recommendation
Chinstrap recommendation
I am looking for recommendations for a good chin strap. I wear the Comfortgel Blu and love it but have problems with leaks that are almost certainly mouth leaks. What do others use. I just don't think I can tolerate the full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chinstrap recommendation
Another thought might be something mentioned in another post - a sponge type neck brace. I do not know if that would work as well.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried three traditional (single piece) chin straps and have found the Ruby to be reasonable of these. Still, I often found that even the Ruby slipped and I had to adjust it or tighten it to the point of sometimes being uncomfortable and hindering my sleep. Most recently, I have been using the PapCap and have had the best results with it. It sometimes slips, but not as much as the others and I can usually adjust the fit to where it is effective, but not uncomfortable.

It is truly a cap, covering the top of your head. The cap is pretty light-weight and I had no problem getting used to it. The separate chin strap attaches via hook and loop (velcro) at each side. I found it best to attach and adjust the strap and then to leave the strap attached. I slip the strap off my chin to remove the cap and reverse the process to put it on. This is easier than attaching, detaching and re-attaching the strap with each use.

I put the PapCap on first and the mask headgear on over the cap. Some care is required when putting on the mask to keep the velcro on the mask straps away from the velcro on the cap, but this is not a big deal. The velcro on the cap portion sometimes can be an irritant. A small cloth or pad inserted between the inside of the cap to separate the offending velcro from your skin alleviates this problem if, or when it occurs.

Bottom line, for me, the PapCap is the most effective chinstrap I have found to date.

Post Reply Post Reply
Problem with chin straps is that they wear out easily. So you have to change them frequently. I change it every 3 - 6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used two types of chinstraps
1- Seatec (Aussie made)
2- Ruby adjustable (US made)

Seatec is more durable but the Ruby feel lighter and doesn't get as hot
I line-up the chinstrap with cotton fabric so doesn't irritate my sensitive skin Smile

I'm searching for chinstrap ... light, comfortable, feel good, and well made
Post Reply Post Reply
Tighten the chin strap. Try a full face mask. They're not as bad as you might think. I thought I'd hate it but ended up loving it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the Ruby. Most chin straps pull my chin back, which further closes the airway.

Even with the Ruby, I make a small modification, to the cup for the chin. I cut a little slice off the front edge of the cup so it flattens out more, and I can slide it a little further under the chin, so that no part of the strap is pulling my chin back, only up.

Simply wrapping an ace bandage around 3 times works too. And is less complicated to put on. Since I like to put the Ruby on last, to help hold the P10 in place better when I roll around on the pillow. It's a little bit of a contortion act to get the Ruby to go over the P10, since the P10 hose doesn't detach at the pillow end. Without disconnecting all the flaps on the Ruby anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply
I like the Ruby and would be concerned about one idea suggested above, using a soft neck collar. I've read that wearing one might increase intracranial pressure. I suppose it could impede venous return.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the foam cervical collar--I hadn't heard anything about the intracranial pressure problem. Do you know where you saw it? I keep mine fairly loose--probably would be a lot tighter if needed as a neck brace. I have an Oracle chin strap and it doesn't work with my DreamWear mask--it pushes my sagging cheeks up and into the mask cushion. It has pretty well eliminated my "chipmunk cheek" problem--I don't mouth breath but mouth sometimes get blown open despite the tongue suction trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been considering a soft cervical foam collar as well. I tend to tuck my chin down into my neck when sleeping and think a soft collar would stop me from doing that.

A foam collar isn't restrictive like a rigid cervical collar that is used after surgery,
they are fairly loose and allow movement. Dont-know

Note: I am not a doctor and this should not be looked at as medical information.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 120 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 265 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 405 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 881 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,340 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  Full Face Mask Recommendation? Dan8585 4 894 10-12-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: NightyTighty

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.