Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Which goes on first..Mask or Chinstrap?
This poll is closed.
The Mask goes on first.
55.56%
5 55.56%
The Chinstrap goes on first.
44.44%
4 44.44%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Chinstrap users...which comes first?
Chinstrap users...which comes first?
As a chinstrap user I would like to know whether the number of users put the Mask or the Chinstrap on first when using their machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chinstrap users...which comes first?
Hi Bompa, I have tried it both ways but, if there is a comfortable position for the thing, (Ha-Ha-Ha,) I personally found it to work better if I put it on first. I wish I didn't have to wear one, but I have tried to "TRAIN," my mouth to stay closed,, but I can just forget about that, HUH, oh well, (Ha-Ha.) When I first started CPAP therapy, from my sleep study on, they said most likely I wouldn't need one, WELL! I prove them wrong, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using a spandex headband as a chinstrap. It goes on first since it won't work the other way. I tried a ResMed chinstrap, but I couldn't figure out how to keep it from slipping around.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Bompa..
We just had a poll on that subject less then a month ago with a thread started by Zonk on
7-12-12..

Your attention is invited to page 3; thread #41. Smile

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Big_Dave, I know what you mean about the "Resmed" chinstrap, I had the same problem. I switched to the "Puresom Ruby" chinstrap and it's better but for me, it's still uncomfortable but I tough it out though because of the reason I mentioned at the top of the post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trish,
Thanks for the tip. That looks like a much better design than the ResMed chinstrap. I might try that later, but I'm flat broke right now. The spandex headband works well for me although it would be nice if it was a little wider. I'm not sure how long it will last, but they're only $2 each.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again big_dave, No problem, I sure do understand that, if what you are doing works relatively well, I'd stick to it, I know these things can get expensive, REAL quick.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2012, 10:29 AM)Bompa Wrote: As a chinstrap user I would like to know whether the number of users put the Mask or the Chinstrap on first when using their machine?
Mask first.
The chinstrap (loosely worn) helps to keep the mask in place especially when turning in bed or if have to get up during the night to take a leak!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't often wear a chinstrap, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis!.....oh....sorry! LOL!
I hardly ever wear one, but like Big Dave I use the hair thingy and it works for me. I put it on under the headgear. I can see where if you had a certain kind of real, honest to goodness chinstrap you could wear it on the outside and possibly even use it to help keep the straps in place.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried four different masks and two different chinstraps. Which one went on first depended on the design of the mask and the chinstrap. I currently use the simple blue ResMed chinstrap that is a single loop of fabric. One loop goes over the top of the head just in front of the ears. I use the Respironics ComfortLite 2 mask which is a nasal pillows mask that attaches to the forehead. With this particular arrangement I put the chinstrap on first. The mask helps keep it in place.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,017 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 402 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,156 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 552 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,714 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,238 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.