Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinstraps and full face mask
Chinstraps and full face mask
I have primary central sleep apnea. I have recently switched to a new DME provider for supplies for my ASV bipap machine.  They informed me that I shouldn’t be wearing a chinstrap because I wear a full face mask.  I’ve been wearing a chinstrap the past nine years because I’m a mouth breather and without the chinstrap I get really bad dry mouth. 
Can anyone on the forum elaborate on this situation?

Thank you in advance for your time!  - Dreamless

Have to update my profile due to a new machine in the last 2 days - AirCurve 10 ASVauto
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chinstraps and full face mask
There's no reason NOT to wear a chinstrap if you find it helps your comfort. The reason they said this, I presume, is because most people use a chinstrap to enable them to use nasal/pillow masks and reduce mouth leak... but even though an FFM makes mouth leaks a non-entity in terms of therapeutic efficacy, it absolutely DOES cause a horribly dry mouth, no matter how much you drive up the humidifier.

If you find that using a chinstrap helps reduce your dry mouth, and it's not causing you leaks (as some straps come up high enough to shift the mask) then go for it. Use a chin strap. Personally, I've given up and use a soft collar now, even with my FFM, because it stops me waking up after 60-90 minutes with my mouth so dry I can barely swallow. There are other things that might help with a dry mouth, products like Biotene or the xylitol lozenges that you tuck between your gum and cheek, but not everyone can tolerate those or find they help. Do whatever feels comfortable for you, though.

I don't know about you, but even with a chinstrap or a collar, I still have mouth leaks, just reduced enough that I can tolerate them - which is why I STILL use an FFM most of the time and only use pillows when I have to give the bridge of my nose a rest or I can be bothered to tape my mouth, put on a chinstrap and then the pillows. LOL The collar or chinstrap just stops my chin from dropping so far that it falls out of the mask, and helps stop the whole chipmunk cheeks thing which sometimes happens even with an FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just do what works. If the chin strap works then keep it. It could be helping if you have chin drop.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for replying. I would like to ask you another question. I have for the past
 9-1/2 years put on my full face mask then the chinstrap. I read a post recently, to try putting on the chinstrap first and then the full face mask. Your thoughts on this please. 
Thank you for your time! 
  - Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
It probably doesn't matter unless you have reason to remove your mask at night, then you might want the chin strap on first. But do whatever is the most comfortable for you.
If I were using a chin strap, I would put it on over the mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just use this and you won't need a chin strap. I am kidding in case you can't tell.

[Image: 44DvkU2.jpg]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as you are using what works I have no problem.

In general the best chin straps for us (CPAP users) to use would gently pull vertically. Those that pull up AND back not so much. I'd rather see a soft cervical collar used which is designed to maintain a proper alignment.
An orthodontist pushes and pulls on the teeth and jaw to alter alignment, we don't want to do that unintentionally.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I use the chinstrap, I personally put it under for the FFM and the P30i because of how and where the headgear straps sit, but I put it OVER on the P10 because that has such a minimalistic headgear, I find it just gets in the way underneath. But YMMV. Whichever works best and feels better for you is what's right, in the end. And yes, a soft collar definitely works well for me too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thank you all for your input and your time. 

I've just gotten a new, different ASV machine  last Thursday due to the recall. I'm really having a time dealing with leaks, dry mouth and the machine in general. I'm exhausted. 

Thanks, Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2021, 08:32 AM)Dreamless Wrote: Wow, thank you all for your input and your time. 

I've just gotten a new, different ASV machine  last Thursday due to the recall. I'm really having a time dealing with leaks, dry mouth and the machine in general. I'm exhausted. 

Thanks, Dreamless

Start a separate treatment thread and post a screen shot F12 of your daily section.  Someone here will help you.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,601 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.