Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Choking & Dry mouth
Angry 
Choking & Dry mouth
Hi all,

I have a philips respironics with a full face mask. My doctor has not been willing to adjust any settings from day one. Original script was for a 5 pressure with 15 burst.

I've had to go through my DME to adjust the settings and each time I ask my doctor to adjust my prescription after the fact, which he does do.

Prior, I had an AHI of 5 with a ton of rera's (200+). No snoring detected. The max it ever burst up to was around 7 pressure.

Currently, my pressure is set to 8.5. It is maintaining 9.5 90% of the time. It's bursting up to 13. 2-3 rera a night. AHI of 0.1-1.1.

I am waking up feeling terrible with a headache/dizziness that doesn't go away throughout the day. I have a dry mouth. My machine is recording 10-20 snoring events a night and I'm hearing myself choke in my sleep.

Humidifier settings do not change this.

My nose is also collapsing during the night. Doesn't matter if it's a full face mask or nasal pillows. My ENT has said there is nothing structurally wrong with my nose.

For background, the doctor who ordered the sleep study had to leave the clinic and I got saddled with this new doctor.

Essentially, because my AHI is under control he doesn't care about any of my current issues. I've also brought up my OSCAR graph data and got a pat on the head and told since it wasn't official licensed software it was worthless.

I've tried to stop using cpap and it was a horrible horrible idea so I'm stuck in limbo right now.

....is there any setting I can change on my end to address my issues? I've tried a lot of combinations with no success.

Also, my sleep study recorded no snoring and no central apneas and no periodic breathing. I have all three now but the periodic breathing is rare and short lived.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Choking & Dry mouth
Please post your OSCAR graph data you mentioned, organised like the wiki article instructs http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

Sleep study results would be useful too.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. We can and will help you.

First please post your nightly charts. They are much more accurate than the statistics you have quoted. For example you have stated that your pressure is maintaining 9.5 90% of the night." To resolve your choking I would want to increase that pressure and have you set (don't) your min pressure to 10.5. Again don't do this. A 90% value means something else, specifically that you pressure was at or BELOW 9.5 for 90% of the night. Basically it is a high value with the spikes removed.

Your AHI is awesome. But you have a lot of RERAs. This says you likely will need a different machine, specifically a BiLevel

On your choking set min pressure = 7 and Flex = 2.
5 is too low for comfort for most adults
Post Reply Post Reply
Your experience is not unique, unfortunately. But this group will be such a help to you!

I'm just incredulous when doctors are so willingly blind and uncaring. (Even though I've experienced it plenty myself. I fired my sleep "doctor".)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Attached are some graphs and data. The AHI is indeed awesome. But I'm waking up with a sore throat and hearing myself choke in my sleep (very vague recollection). RERA's have more or less been taken care of with this cpap machine unless it's not as sensitive as the sleep study.

The rest of the sleep study is largely irrelevant. The reason insurance granted the cpap was because the 300+ rera's in the study along with the delayed rem. RDI (AAMS) was 224 total. RDI (CMS) was 202 total. AHI was not relevant in the study.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Last one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Post flow rate closeups.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached.

Post Reply Post Reply
https://i.imgur.com/rdXocwk.png

https://i.imgur.com/5J1yzah.png
Post Reply Post Reply
paradox551,
Please review the links in my signature for organizing and posting images here.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.