Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Choking episode not recorded
Choking episode not recorded
For two nights in a row I have awakened from a dream coughing to the point I had to remove my mask and chin strap. I don't have a cough or cold. I did cough and I had some mucus in my throat.
Both times I had Mr. Green Smiley Face and and AHI of 0.0 at the point of awakening. My heart did not seem to be racing. So maybe it was either GERD or collected mucus but it was strong enough to wake me up. Maybe I'll do a salt water rinse with the Neti Pot tonight and see it I'm okay tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Choking episode not recorded
Hi Lukie,
When I first saw the title of your post, I wondered if you had GERD.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I've said it before, but two nights in a row with an AHI of 0.0 could be machine error. Unplug the machine for a few minutes then plug back in.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It was 0.0 after 5 hours. By 9 hours it was 0.2.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apnea is only mild. Sleep Study AHI was 7.6. The reason I'm on CPAP is that when I do have apneas they are bad ones and I desaturate to less than 85% So my AHI is usually less than 0.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're doing great! Congrats!

As for the choking, no clue on that. One thing to do while you try to figure it out is raise the head of your bed. If it helps, then your doc will know it was more than likely GERD. Sometimes all it takes is a single 2x4 but usually more. You can put it under the feet of the headboard or under the mattress itself. We used 2 for several years. Now we just use one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do unplug the machine for a few minutes to reset it. Many people have reported their S9 occasionally gets stuck on zero.

Even if you do choke and stop breathing, you may wake up and start breathing soon enough that you don't technically have an apnea. (10 seconds.)

If mucous builds up, you may get a choking reflex, even if you never actually stop breathing.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 01:20 AM)archangle Wrote: Do unplug the machine for a few minutes to reset it. Many people have reported their S9 occasionally gets stuck on zero.

Even if you do choke and stop breathing, you may wake up and start breathing soon enough that you don't technically have an apnea. (10 seconds.)

If mucous builds up, you may get a choking reflex, even if you never actually stop breathing.

I often get a 0.0 AHI when I wear my nasal mask and chinstrap. My AHI goes to 1 or 2 when I wear a full face mask. I have never gotten 0.0 two days in a row but I do get it regularly because I have mild apnea and a good mask fit.
The choking has gone away. I guess it was just a cough or gerd.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 05:59 PM)Lukie Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 01:20 AM)archangle Wrote: Do unplug the machine for a few minutes to reset it. Many people have reported their S9 occasionally gets stuck on zero.

I often get a 0.0 AHI when I wear my nasal mask and chinstrap. My AHI goes to 1 or 2 when I wear a full face mask. I rarely get 0.0 two days in a row but I do get it regularly because I have mild apnea and a good mask fit..
The choking has gone away. I guess it was just a cough or gerd.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised 20 minutes recorded for full night's sleep Deborah K. 10 597 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  OSA events mistakenly recorded as central? esaulcatnas 0 317 12-14-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  [CPAP] WORST SLEEP APNEA IN RECORDED HISTORY, plzzz help! memoryNada786 23 2,803 09-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Mjadalak
  Higher CA recorded in second half of sleep Ron R 1 356 07-21-2023, 07:39 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMTL
  Are my apnea events being accurately recorded? vontheri 90 5,666 12-31-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Pappy15
  Long episode of intermittent breathing DrNefario 24 1,763 03-31-2022, 10:03 AM
Last Post: cathyf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.