Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 13-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Choking w/full-face
I have no issues w/comfort,claustorphobia or falling asleep w/mask. However, on 3 occasions I have woke up from a deep sleep with a gasping feeling of not getting air. The machine reports are all good. I have reduced apnea episodes from over 40 to 7 and once 5.
I have seen this problem reported with nasal masks with the issue being that air was leaking from mouth and the fix being either a chin strap or a full face mask. (my mask is full face with no leaks).
Has anyone reading this had similar experiences with cpap. Also, I require high pressure as prescribed. Machine ramps up to 13 and peaks at 20.
Thank You for your response.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 11:14 PM by RWN59.)
04-20-2013 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Choking w/full-face
Welcome

I only had that happen once and it was because I was running about 5-6cm pressure so I really wasn't getting any air.
I really don't think your mask is at fault unless you are leaking a lot while you sleep.

In your case, I think the only way you can run down this problem is by collecting data each night by using SleepyHead software.
I am not sure at this time if the Respironics DS560HS is compatible with that software

My only other suspicion is the humidity.
Is your mouth/throat really dry when you wake up like this?

Hang in there and I'm sure more folks will chime in on the problem, you came to the right place!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
04-21-2013 10:29 AM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(04-20-2013 11:14 PM)RWN59 Wrote:  However, on 3 occasions I have woke up from a deep sleep with a gasping feeling of not getting air.
Also, I require high pressure as prescribed. Machine ramps up to 13 and peaks at 20.

If your machine is peaking at 20 perhaps it has reached it max but needs to go higher. Since it is unable to go above 20, maybe you are being awakened by an apnea.

Bi-level models can usually go as high as 25 cmH2O, and maybe you need one of those.

However, the amount of pressure we need is strongly influenced by sleep position. Sleeping on the back usually requires higher pressure than sleeping on our side. So, to minimize how much pressure you need, avoid sleeping on your back.

I wear a teeshirt with tennis ball in pocket sewn between the shoulder blades, to keep me off my back while sleeping.

I agree with suggestion to use SleepyHead to look at your plots of pressure versus time, to see if you are awakening when your pressure is max'ed out.

I think SleepyHead works with your machine as long as the special SleepHead patch is installed for use with '60 series machines. I don't know the details but I think there is a thread which discusses how to install the SH software and how to install the SH patch to make it work with your 560 machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 12:03 AM by vsheline.)
04-22-2013 12:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(04-22-2013 12:01 AM)vsheline Wrote:  I think SleepyHead works with your machine as long as the special SleepHead patch is installed for use with '60 series machines. I don't know the details but I think there is a thread which discusses how to install the SH software and how to install the SH patch to make it work with your 560 machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
SleepyHead does works with 60 series machine as outlined by "cbramsey"
See post #5 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...episodes-5
04-22-2013 12:11 AM
imfletch Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
Humidifier: ResMed 5i
CPAP Pressure: 16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

How do you KNOW you have no leaks?
Do you have Sleepyhead? If so, what does it report as Minimum, Maximum, Median and 95% leak rates?
04-24-2013 01:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
RWN59 Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics DS560HS
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 13-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Dry mouth, machine maxed out, and side-sleeping all make sense to me.
I posted, hoping to get common-sense ideas that I can discuss with my Dr. and supplier and your comments
are sure to be helpful.
Thanks Again
RWN59
04-24-2013 05:14 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(04-20-2013 11:14 PM)RWN59 Wrote:  I have no issues w/comfort,claustorphobia or falling asleep w/mask. However, on 3 occasions I have woke up from a deep sleep with a gasping feeling of not getting air. The machine reports are all good. I have reduced apnea episodes from over 40 to 7 and once 5.
I have seen this problem reported with nasal masks with the issue being that air was leaking from mouth and the fix being either a chin strap or a full face mask. (my mask is full face with no leaks).
Has anyone reading this had similar experiences with cpap. Also, I require high pressure as prescribed. Machine ramps up to 13 and peaks at 20.
Thank You for your response.

If that happens again, try to contain your panic and investigate. If possible, don't take off the mask, but take it off if you must, and get a good breath or two, then put it back on. Do not turn the machine off.

Consciously breathe in and out and feel the air. Is there air coming in and going out easily? How does the pressure feel? Get a light and check the pressure displayed on the unit. Feel for airflow in the stream of air coming out the exhaust vent. Lift up the edge of the mask and feel air gush out to be sure it's working.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
04-25-2013 01:45 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

I found that if you insert your fingers under the bottom edge of the seal and lift it off for a few seconds you can get plenty of ambeint room air in and that is an immediate panic stopper.

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
04-25-2013 01:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 12 644 Yesterday 04:37 PM
Last Post: Zippo
  Face drying out Ibiban 1 214 11-24-2016 05:10 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 316 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  Face mask ? Thunderbritches 4 319 11-07-2016 09:52 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Any suggestions for when your mask aggravates your face? FormerFed 11 565 11-06-2016 11:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal pillow Vs full face unofon 4 492 10-27-2016 09:12 AM
Last Post: unofon
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 506 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz