Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Choking w/full-face
Choking w/full-face
I have no issues w/comfort,claustorphobia or falling asleep w/mask. However, on 3 occasions I have woke up from a deep sleep with a gasping feeling of not getting air. The machine reports are all good. I have reduced apnea episodes from over 40 to 7 and once 5.
I have seen this problem reported with nasal masks with the issue being that air was leaking from mouth and the fix being either a chin strap or a full face mask. (my mask is full face with no leaks).
Has anyone reading this had similar experiences with cpap. Also, I require high pressure as prescribed. Machine ramps up to 13 and peaks at 20.
Thank You for your response.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Choking w/full-face
Welcome

I only had that happen once and it was because I was running about 5-6cm pressure so I really wasn't getting any air.
I really don't think your mask is at fault unless you are leaking a lot while you sleep.

In your case, I think the only way you can run down this problem is by collecting data each night by using SleepyHead software.
I am not sure at this time if the Respironics DS560HS is compatible with that software

My only other suspicion is the humidity.
Is your mouth/throat really dry when you wake up like this?

Hang in there and I'm sure more folks will chime in on the problem, you came to the right place!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2013, 11:14 PM)RWN59 Wrote: However, on 3 occasions I have woke up from a deep sleep with a gasping feeling of not getting air.
Also, I require high pressure as prescribed. Machine ramps up to 13 and peaks at 20.

If your machine is peaking at 20 perhaps it has reached it max but needs to go higher. Since it is unable to go above 20, maybe you are being awakened by an apnea.

Bi-level models can usually go as high as 25 cmH2O, and maybe you need one of those.

However, the amount of pressure we need is strongly influenced by sleep position. Sleeping on the back usually requires higher pressure than sleeping on our side. So, to minimize how much pressure you need, avoid sleeping on your back.

I wear a teeshirt with tennis ball in pocket sewn between the shoulder blades, to keep me off my back while sleeping.

I agree with suggestion to use SleepyHead to look at your plots of pressure versus time, to see if you are awakening when your pressure is max'ed out.

I think SleepyHead works with your machine as long as the special SleepHead patch is installed for use with '60 series machines. I don't know the details but I think there is a thread which discusses how to install the SH software and how to install the SH patch to make it work with your 560 machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2013, 12:01 AM)vsheline Wrote: I think SleepyHead works with your machine as long as the special SleepHead patch is installed for use with '60 series machines. I don't know the details but I think there is a thread which discusses how to install the SH software and how to install the SH patch to make it work with your 560 machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
SleepyHead does works with 60 series machine as outlined by "cbramsey"
See post #5 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...episodes-5

Post Reply Post Reply
How do you KNOW you have no leaks?
Do you have Sleepyhead? If so, what does it report as Minimum, Maximum, Median and 95% leak rates?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Dry mouth, machine maxed out, and side-sleeping all make sense to me.
I posted, hoping to get common-sense ideas that I can discuss with my Dr. and supplier and your comments
are sure to be helpful.
Thanks Again
RWN59
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2013, 11:14 PM)RWN59 Wrote: I have no issues w/comfort,claustorphobia or falling asleep w/mask. However, on 3 occasions I have woke up from a deep sleep with a gasping feeling of not getting air. The machine reports are all good. I have reduced apnea episodes from over 40 to 7 and once 5.
I have seen this problem reported with nasal masks with the issue being that air was leaking from mouth and the fix being either a chin strap or a full face mask. (my mask is full face with no leaks).
Has anyone reading this had similar experiences with cpap. Also, I require high pressure as prescribed. Machine ramps up to 13 and peaks at 20.
Thank You for your response.

If that happens again, try to contain your panic and investigate. If possible, don't take off the mask, but take it off if you must, and get a good breath or two, then put it back on. Do not turn the machine off.

Consciously breathe in and out and feel the air. Is there air coming in and going out easily? How does the pressure feel? Get a light and check the pressure displayed on the unit. Feel for airflow in the stream of air coming out the exhaust vent. Lift up the edge of the mask and feel air gush out to be sure it's working.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that if you insert your fingers under the bottom edge of the seal and lift it off for a few seconds you can get plenty of ambeint room air in and that is an immediate panic stopper.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.