Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nearenough - Therapy Thread
RE: Choosing Quality over Quantity
I'll add that both of the above charts look awesome to me. Statistically the differences are insignificant.

Once you have achieved good numbers such as you have shown above both Sleeprider and myself favor comfort vs numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Near - You are two months into the process, and thus may be experiencing so-called "treatement-emergent" central apneas. Because you breathe more efficiently with CPAP, you blow off more CO2 which causes the centrals. As your body adjusts over a period of time, these will probably diminish or disappear in time, leaving you with a super duper AHI. In which case, comfort rules.

If you subscribe to the strategy of using the LOWEST pressures that will handle your obstructive events, as opposed to the highest pressure you can tolerate, the answer is pretty clear. Personally, I would try lowering the minimum to see if you still can have a low AHI. If you do, remember to keep a setting for several nights, maybe a week, because one night is not a trend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick, 2 part update after 4 days at at 13cm.

I feel less tired than at 16cm.  Still tired, but not on the brink of exhaustion.  AHI is staying under 1 every day. 

My historical flow limit 95% at pressures 14cm and higher were always 0.00 to 0.01.  At 13cm it's hovering between 0.02 to 0.03.

I'll post the 3 days of 13cm charts and second posts zoomed in at the difference in inspiratory flows.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking closer at flow rate in particular, I see at 13cm there are a large percentage of abnormal inspiration curves.  At 15cm and up the average flow tends to be more sinusoidal on average.

Typical curve shape @ 13cm leading up to what looks like a RERA to my untrained eye.

Typical mixture of inspiration curves @ 13cm showing various flow limitation patterns

Contrasted by 16cm which tended to look more sinusoidal on average.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would say quality of sleep/how you feel.

With a big BUT, how long do events last, how low does oxygen get because this can cause health issues beyond feeling tired.

If you can handle EPR turned off, I would suggest Auto, 12 to 16.5. Then go up or down from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow-up post
Following up, as recommended, from a previous post.  

Subjectively I'm not as tired at 13.8 cmH2O (EPR=3) as I was at higher pressures.  Still experiencing fatigue, but it's not debilitating. 

Averages over the last 14 days
AHI - 0.55 
Flow Limit 95% - 0.01

The numbers seem good.  There's relatively few events, although it's clear zoomed in there is still SDB episodes that are too brief for the device to flag.

I'll post charts to take a look at.  Zoomed in to 2-3 minutes there appear to be RERAs and lot of deformed inspiratory flow shapes.  I'm not sure what to make of those, or whether they suggest Bilevel is worth considering.  

Thanks for taking a look as always.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow-up post
Zoomed out:

Post Reply Post Reply
nearenough - We prefer that you keep your topic related posts in the same thread.  I have merged this thread, "Follow-up post" into your thread, "Choosing Quality over Quantity".  Please let me know if you wish to have it renamed and the title you want.

- Red

Edit: Actually in looking at all your threads they are related to your therapy.  I will be merging them and retitling your thread to, "nearenough - Therapy Thread".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2022, 05:46 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: nearenough - We prefer that you keep your topic related posts in the same thread.  I have merged this thread, "Follow-up post" into your thread, "Choosing Quality over Quantity".  Please let me know if you wish to have it renamed and the title you want.

- Red

Edit: Actually in looking at all your threads they are related to your therapy.  I will be merging them and retitling your thread to, "nearenough - Therapy Thread".

While I appreciate that, two issues arise.  First, Gideon explicitly asked for a follow up post, hence the new thread.  Second, threads go dead once someone asks for a week of metrics.  No one replies after a week of collecting data - threads just goes dark. It's remarkably difficult to have a therapy discussion when no one will reply to an ongoing thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nearenough - Therapy Thread
I think now that it's labeled as a therapy thread that will improve.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 150 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,258 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.