Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Choosing the best PAP machine for my hyperreactive nose--Resmed 10 For Her?
RE: Choosing the best PAP machine for my hyperreactive nose--Resmed 10 For Her?
Thanks for all your feedback, Dave. 
I have been using the Airtouch F20 for the past 6 days, which makes it clear to me that I have to try something with a better fit and lower leak rate.
I'm still waiting to receive the P10 and see how it works, i.e., fits my nostrils. 

I have many more events per hour with the F20 than the N30i and it will be interesting to see how it goes with the pillows.
I think it would be great if it would be possible to use facial recognition data and 3D-printing to make custom masks instead of these generic things that are currently available with only 3 sizes to fit everyone.  Even with current technology it should be possible and we would all have precisely fitting masks without trying on a bunch, which has been impossible in Covid times.

Thanks again for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Solving your hyperreactive nose issue was a main goal in your search for a different machine / mask. I'm wondering how that's going. Still having issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, my machine says I'm sleeping well, but my body totally disagrees.  I think I'm having problems with the humidifier.  The air temp is set to 81°F and my room temperature is about 60°F.   There was a load of condensation in the tube between the heated tube and the mask (P10) and I was drowning in condensation last night.  This morning one nostril is clogged and my ear is full of fluid.  This is only my second night trying the pillow mask.  It doesn't leak, but I feel that it does not provide enough air... For tonight, I'm thinking of turning down the air temp to 70°C and turning off the humidifier.  What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
When the warm moist air hits the unheated tube on the end of your mask, it is condensing on the plastic tube. You probably need to turn down the humidity setting, and it will help to cover that tube with a fleece tube cover. Be sure to cover the tube right up to the mask. The fleece cover will also cover most if not all of the CPAP tube from the machine. This will solve most of the problem. Your room is over 20 degrees below your heated tube setting, so increasing your room temperature a bit might also help. CPAP tube covers are inexpensive and make your equipment more comfortable and resistant to rain-out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m using the P30i, but I don’t use and don’t feel like I need the humidifier.  I think the last time I used it I had rainout, it just didn’t seem like it was doing anything for me so I don’t use it. Two days ago my room temperature was 65 and my heated hose temp was 62. I woke up with cold air blowing in my nose, it was almost painful. So, last night I uped the hose temperature to 72 and I didn’t feel that.

I didn’t like the nasal pillow when I first started, like you I didn’t feel I was getting enough air. I really wanted to adapt to either a nasal cushion or nasal pillow because of the perceived benefits of nasal breathing. The first part of October I tried a nasal cushion and after about 6 weeks switched to a nasal pillow and I did much better. 

The title of your post caught my eye. I’ve been dealing with itchy nose since I started this back in late April. I’ve tried everything under the sun, to no avail. Now I’m using Lansinoh Lanoline Cream and the “correct size” nasal pillow and (knock on wood) that combination seems to be working for me.

Maybe this thread from the archives will be of interest to you. I haven’t yet read it all, but a lot of it pertains to me.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2020, 01:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: When the warm moist air hits the unheated tube on the end of your mask, it is condensing on the plastic tube. You probably need to turn down the humidity setting, and it will help to cover that tube with a fleece tube cover.  Be sure to cover the tube right up to the mask.  The fleece cover will also cover most if not all of the CPAP tube from the machine.  This will solve most of the problem.  Your room is over 20 degrees below your heated tube setting, so increasing your room temperature a bit might also help.  CPAP tube covers are inexpensive and make your equipment more comfortable and resistant to rain-out.

The chart from last night is interesting because I used the P10 all night but during the first half of the night I forgot to change the setting from "FF" to "pillows." At the same time I changed the humidifier setting from "auto' to "2" and shook out the condensation from the hose. (The two big leaks are when I'm shaking the moisture out of the mask). 

I have a couple of questions:  
            1) I've seen these different pressures profiles for different masks with proper settings.  Either the pressures goes up and down between 6-8 or it max's out at 10 and stays there.  The varying pressure makes sense, but why does the pressure stay high even between events and with no big leaks?  Is there something wrong with the settings or the machine? 
            2) I agree that the 20° differential explains the condensation but I like to sleep cold.  I wonder if it's possible to shut off the humidity entirely and still use the heated hose at a comfortable air temperature without excessive condensation.  What temperature setting would you recommend?  

I know that the pressure is set too low and that I can reset the pressure setting myself.  I also know the clock is wrong (three hours late).  I'm hesitant to tinker with it before it has been approved by the insurance and the sleep doc has yet not responded to my request for help with the pressure setting.  

I'm surely learning how different the good and the bad days of cpap treatment are in this quest to find the right mask.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2020, 02:59 PM)letsrun100 Wrote: I’m using the P30i, but I don’t use and don’t feel like I need the humidifier.  I think the last time I used it I had rainout, it just didn’t seem like it was doing anything for me so I don’t use it. Two days ago my room temperature was 65 and my heated hose temp was 62. I woke up with cold air blowing in my nose, it was almost painful. So, last night I uped the hose temperature to 72 and I didn’t feel that.

I didn’t like the nasal pillow when I first started, like you I didn’t feel I was getting enough air. I really wanted to adapt to either a nasal cushion or nasal pillow because of the perceived benefits of nasal breathing. The first part of October I tried a nasal cushion and after about 6 weeks switched to a nasal pillow and I did much better. 

The title of your post caught my eye. I’ve been dealing with itchy nose since I started this back in late April. I’ve tried everything under the sun, to no avail. Now I’m using Lansinoh Lanoline Cream and the “correct size” nasal pillow and (knock on wood) that combination seems to be working for me.

Maybe this thread from the archives will be of interest to you. I haven’t yet read it all, but a lot of it pertains to me.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

Thanks for the hints on the temperature settings for the hose and encouragement for the nasal pillows. 

I had itching, running nose, with violent sneezing, and watering eyes, but for now most of it went away when I got the new machine with hypoallergenic filters.  This may be because of the machine and the better filters, but it can also be because this first year of my CPAP treatment corresponds to an extraordinary year of seasonal allergy triggers (pollen, dust, mold, and algae blooms) accompanied by terrible fire-smoke air pollution problem for months.   

I also use lanoline and it seems to work well, but it's only my second night with the pillows mask.  

I'll check out the thread.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I was surprised to hear you are using a humidity setting of 2. I have mine at 4 with tube temp at 80. With a fleece cover I have never had condensation with my P10 mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,808 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 194 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,973 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,354 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 804 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.