Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chronic Crease Marks on Your Cheek? A $3 DIY Solution
Chronic Crease Marks on Your Cheek? A $3 DIY Solution
After a few weeks of starting CPAP, I started noticing crease marks on my cheeks from the headgear, and while at the beginning they disappeared after the morning shower, gradually they would last well into the start of the workday. You may not always wish to engage in a conversation with everybody about why you have to marks. Not all of us work hidden away in some cubicle all day, but rather have to work face to face with the public, for example teachers, sales reps, police officers, hairdressers, doctors, nurses, you name it.

At first I thought perhaps the headgear for the Pico was so voluminous it might be simple fix to try a smaller nasal pillow mask with more minimal headgear, but after a few days with the Philips Respironics Nuance Pro Gel nasal pillow mask, cheek creasing was still a problem.

Before learning about the great lady who runs Padacheeks, Supplier #31, I tried to find a solution on my own. I read about people who tried all kinds of homespun solutions such as cut up t-shirts, microfiber cloth, lotions and gels, etc.; one fellow was even ingenious enough to try his wife's (unused) panty liners and brave enough to post about it. I spent a day going from store to store to try to find some products or material I could turn into cheek protection. I came home with a bunch of stuff and started experimenting.

What I've found best among them all is the soft, wide (green) microfiber attachment on a $4 (US$3) Spray Squeegee I found a the local dollar store.

1. Remove it from the squeegee.
  2. Cut it in half with some sharp scissors.
  3. With the tip of the scissors, slice a slot open in the closed half the white stretchy attachment strap. (The other side is velcro.)
  4. Attach the two halves to the two sides of your headgear.
 I did eventually discover Padacheek, and their mask liner works great for my Pico nasal mask. However, for the crease marks on my cheeks, Padacheeks or the flannel cheek pads included with the Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal cushion mask were not adequate, since they only make the contact area with my cheeks softer, but do not distribute the the contact area across a wider surface, which my MacGyver method does. That has proven to be the key to success for someone like me whose marks are not caused by the tightness of the headgear, but rather by being pressed between my cheeks and my pillow when sleeping on my side and burying my cheeks in the pillow, as I do. I've successfully used this method for a Resmed Airfit P10 as well.

[Image: g13bXAdr.jpg]
[/url]

[Image: LRLXobJ.jpg]

[url=https://i.imgur.com/IpMVTXy.jpg][Image: IpMVTXy.jpg]

[Image: KPFQabz.jpg]

[Image: YTmITGc.jpg]

For the Pico nasal mask, whose headgear has longer lower straps, you can either go with a full length (uncut) green squeegee microfiber pad, or if you'd like to immerse yourself in the luxury model in which you feel a bundled up for your trip to sleepyland, you can use this German-engineered Kärcher model.

[Image: wbw0dgd.jpg]

[url=https://i.imgur.com/wbw0dgd.jpg]
[Image: Igmv6NN.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chronic Crease Marks on Your Cheek? A $3 DIY Solution
Dielaughing    like
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Needs to be added to the Wiki.

Brilliant!

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Comfy AND effective!
Post Reply Post Reply
Fabulous! Some people are just so creative!
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
Thanks!   Grouphug3

Sorry about the typos and the HTML artifacts. I posted quickly before going out, and when I got back the edit window time had elapsed. (Dunno if that can be fixed.)

I realize this is not for everyone, and for many folks the Padacheeks will be perfectly fine. But perhaps this can help some people who are still struggling with chronic creasing.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
An idea worth trying, thanks.   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done! Very crafty and creative.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Gives new meaning to side burns???
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sheepish,
Thank you for sharing this neat solution, very good information for the wiki.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 32 11 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 223 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 390 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise JimIve 33 26,897 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: tj1616
  Chronic Fatigue despite good CPAP and Oximetry statistics. MoldyBagel 2 636 08-27-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MoldyBagel
  Battery solution needed sumitsimlai 8 916 07-24-2023, 02:01 AM
Last Post: sumitsimlai
  Was there a solution for “Check Power?” Jeffo1 12 11,284 04-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Thomas S

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.