Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chronic Insomnia
RE: Chronic Insomnia
chin-tucking.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29535]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay thanks. I will go back to wearing the SCC.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=29626][attachment=29625][attachment=29624]I have attached a few screenshots of my sleep last night. My data shows I had 5 CA's which 2 I will count, 3 H's, 0 I will count. But it shows I had 24 OA's which most I will count. At one point during the night I woke up and felt like I was starving for air and had to raise the mask off my nose to get fresh air. Something happened at the 11:32 time period which looks strange to me. But it looks like a cluster of OA's in short period of time. It looks like I keep bumping my max pressure of 13 a lot. Do I need to maybe raise it up?

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2021, 09:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: chin-tucking.

Is there info out there on what causes chin-tucking?  Is it stress?  Also, is there anything out there that states chin-tucking is related to teeth clinching or TMJ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know of any info, but based on analyzing my own experiences of improper mask headgear positioning, too low on the head, can lead to chin tucking, mask leaks, and a low grade headache.  Having the headgear positioned too low on the head will cause the mask tension to increase when you tilt your head back and reduce the tension when you tilt your head forward.  While asleep, your body will seek a more comfortable posture by tilting the head forward to reduce the mask pressure against the face.  Having the headgear too low can lead to over tensioning to make up for this problem.  I have found that by adjusting the vertical position of the headgear upward using the top-of-the-head adjustment strap, to the point that the headgear is not touching the back of the neck and the mask tension against the face does not change when tilting your head forward or backward, can reduce chin tucking, mask leaks, and headaches.   These conditions seem to be more prominent when using the 4-point full face mask type of headgear.

I don't know if this will help your case, but I wanted to provide it for your consideration.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
earlier I suggested capping your max to minimize ca, which it appears to have done. maybe in combination with high or very high trigger but I don't remember how you have that set. increasing ps to 4 appears to have reduced your flow limitations. your oa looks positional so a soft cervical collar and or fewer pillows are the usual suggestions. in addition, I'd incrementally raise min epap (not max) to help with the oa.

your chart shows that same gap in pressure you had before at the time you felt air starved but no leak this time so something weird is going on with your machine. the only thing I can think of to suggest is to make sure you have smartstart turned off. failing that, I'd wonder about some kind of malfunction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still Struggling After 1 Month With New Machine
[attachment=29781][attachment=29782][attachment=29783]After 1 month of using my new Resmed AirCurve VAuto I seemed to still be having problems with apneas. The machine seems to have helped my CA's a lot but now I am having a lot of OA's and H's which seem to be waking me up. I will post a few screenshots of 2 different nights. One is with my max pressure at 13 and the other is where I bumped max pressure to 14 to see if that would help. On last nights screenshot the period starting around 3:20 with the leaks was where I had waken up and was tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep. But up till then I had minimum leaks. Please take a look and see what changes I might need to make.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mawaw1992, I merged your new post with your previous thread. Simply put, the problem is unchanged. You are chin-tucking and need to acknowledge the Positional Apnea and soft cervical collar suggestions posted previously.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=29827][attachment=29828]I used the SCC last night along with a new mask I am trying out. My AHI came down with no CA's or H's but still had 12 OA's but felt very tired today more than normal. Do not understand why. On the second screenshot is where I woke up just before 3:00. It looks like the OA happened first and then I show an air leak afterward.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a great improvement! From an AHI over 4 to less than 1.5.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 212 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 296 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 602 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Chronic Fatigue despite good CPAP and Oximetry statistics. MoldyBagel 2 647 08-27-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MoldyBagel
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 774 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Insomnia Slumberseeker 4 639 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Slumberseeker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.