Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Searching For an Answer - Causes of Sleep Apnea
Searching For an Answer - Causes of Sleep Apnea
I cruise around the net most mornings for answers to questions that I have and most mornings I come away with more questions. Except the other day I came across something that was very interesting, heres a snippet:

•When we have poor blood circulation it has an effect on our sleeping patterns. It may even cause sleep disorders like sleep apnea.

This is being looked at very closely at the moment which got me very interested as I have always had poor circulation. Always get cold hands and feet sometimes get RLS while trying to sleep, which Im told could be another tick for Bad circulation.

"The sleep process deals with the brain, which is made up of brain cells. If a sleep problem exists, it has something to do with the brain cells. In order for these cells to send and receive all messages in a proper manner, they need to be nourished by oxygen and essential nutrients. This is why when blood vessels are blocked on the way to the brain, the processes will not function efficiently. This causes blood vessel plaque to buildup from fat and cholesterol and is just another reason why sleep trouble can be dangerous."

It seems that Im ticking lots of boxes of late to the cause of sleep apnea.

Large Neck
Snoring
Poor Circulation
Overweight (Slight)
Stress

It seems that anyone of these could have triggered my trip down cpap lane it would be nice though if I could pin point the exact point when I fell over the edge, Hopefully one day I will find my answer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Searching For an Answer
Thanks, DC, I'm going to show this to my wife. She's been procrastinating about getting a sleep study done. Bigwink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Searching For an Answer - Causes of Sleep Apnea
Good questions, DC. I updated the title slightly to better reflect the subject matter.

Seems very logical to me that poor blood circulation can be a major factor in a lot of health issues. The life of the flesh is in the blood. Reduce that blood flow and cells eventually die or become vulnerable to disease.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Searching For an Answer - Causes of Sleep Apnea
(04-21-2012, 02:56 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: It seems that Im ticking lots of boxes of late to the cause of sleep apnea.

Large Neck
Snoring
Poor Circulation
Overweight (Slight)
Stress

A sleep study will tell you what kind of sleep apnea you have. If what you have is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) then I can see how any of these factors might contribute to it (except for snoring, which is a symptom of, but not a cause of, OSA).

The thing is, there's no doubt that the remedies for these maladies will improve the quality of your life. OSA is itself a malady, and a remedy is CPAP therapy. Even if you didn't have OSA, you'd still want to reduce stress and bring your weight down to a healthy level to improve the quality of your life.

My point is that adopting these strategies will improve the quality of your life, even if they aren't in anyway related to OSA.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.