Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chronic cough since CPAP started
Chronic cough since CPAP started
I have posted two topics recently and received very helpful responses, so I figured I would try one more.

I have been using CPAP for about 6 months now and ever since I started I have had a chronic, mostly dry cough. I did not have this before and I am sure it is from the CPAP blowing air down my throat all night.

I do not cough during the night, but once I am up and about for the day, I cough a lot, maybe 25-50 times a day. I feel a tickle in my upper respiratory tract and cough to ease the feeling. Sometimes I cough several times in a row. Whatever phlegm gets coughed up is whitish. I do not feel in any way sick.

I have tried different settings of the humidifier but this has made no difference.

I did try a prescribed med for sinuses but it made little difference.

Has anyone else had this experience and dealt with it successfully?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chronic cough since CPAP started
It would help to know your humidifier settings, but since you feel dry, I assume you are on auto settings. Turn to manual, turn up the humidity (start at 4) and control the tubing temperature as needed, but 80 degrees F is a good start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the humidity at 4, 5, 6, 7 - no difference. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I feel dry. That is not the case. I have a dry cough, meaning a non-phlegmy cough. I do not have the heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try XtliMelts. They keep your throat moist during the night. You can get them online.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am getting the impression that this is my unique problem as no one is writing back to say that they share the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a chronic cough but it is not from CPAP. I found I was much more comfortable with the climateline hose and run on auto.

My cough was made much worse recently by cigarette smoke so much so that I have been literally dropped to my knees with vision narrowing at a distance of about 100 yards from a single smoker. Surprisingly pirolsec helps to minimize the impact. There are other triggers I try to avoid as well, insense, perfume, and some cleaning agents. I also did voice therapy to train myself not to cough.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a dry chronic cough twice.
First was due to aciid reflux and omneprazole fixed it.
The second was a side effect of a blood pressure medicine - Lisinopril. Fixed by changing to losartan.
Each one diagnosed by an MD.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed recently a cough from nothing that can be explained besides cpap usage. Its not a lot but didn't exist before. You are not alone.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 837 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 134 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 180 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,708 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 281 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 854 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 358 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.