Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clarification on Graph Titles and axis
Clarification on Graph Titles and axis
I am contacting you folks because you are the acknowledged "experts" on all things OSCAR.

On another board, it is contended that the OSCAR graphic chart of titled "Flow Rate" is mislabeled
That chart is NOT really FLOW RATE  versus time of day,

but should properly be labeled "FLOW", furthermore the y-axis units for that graph should be ml  and not ivolume/time (L/Min)

So the chart should be depicting ml versus time of day.

For my own edification, is the sensor reporting flow (as in volume) or is it reporting flow per min (as in rate)?

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clarification on Graph Titles and axis
The flow rate graphs displays the respiratory flow in mL/second (flow rate) for the time shown in the graph. It is not an instantaneous volume, but is a volume over time, or rate. It is graphed based on the 25 Hertz (25 data points per second) in Resmed or 5-Hertz frequency data from Philips, or whatever measure is used by the manufacturer. Any given point on the graph is the flow-rate per second, but the graph represents the flow-rate in mL/second over time. It is properly named. Other flow rates in Oscar include the tidal volume (milliliters/second) and minute vent (Liters/minute), both presented as minimum, median, 95th percentile and 99th percentile statistical measures. Measured flow is always based on a time basis or flow rate. We almost always refer to flow in a quantity per time, or rate. This is true of water treatment plants at MGD (million gallons per day) or a river flow rate in cfs (cubic feet per second) or even stack-flow in meters per second. Other measures are velocity (distance per time). I'm not aware of a "flow" measurement that is not a rate, velocity or based on some increment of time.

If you isolate just one point in the graph of flow rate, you will see the flow in mL/sec for that data point, however the graph is the flow rate, and changes over time and with the respiratory cycle. To be exact, the Y-axis is flow-rate per second and the X-axis is time. The resulting graph is flow rate per time or flow rate.

To fully refute the contention that the graph represents "Flow", the flow being measured is a volume (milliliters). Without time, or zero, we have a divide by zero error. Give that a try and you are left with a meaningless static measurement.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider, for context,

I've been trying to suggest (over there) that the OSCAR tidal volume graph is a critical tool to be considered when evaluating a hypopneas, in light of the fundamental definition of a hypopnea as being a reduction in volume (aka less air inhaled compared to prior breaths).

Thanks for the clarity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a longer history on the CPAP Talk forum dating back to 2008. I don't participate over there for reasons you are learning. I really don't want to get dragged into that conversation.

Tidal volume is a simple function of inspiration or expiration flow rate over a single breath cycle. Oscar reports the tidal volume, minute vent and breath rate as reported by the manufacturer. As far as I know these statistics are identical to what your should see in Airview or Orchestrator. Hypopnea events are also flagged by the CPAP software and reported by Oscar. Remember that Oscar is a reporting software and does not actually flag events and each manufacturer has its own definition of what a hypopnea is in terms of a short duration flow rate deviation from a longer-term average. In clinical PSG, hypopnea is defined by flow rate reduction and SpO2 desaturation of 3 to 4%. Be sure when you debate over there, that you are all on the same page as there are differences between machines and sleep studies. Oscar is only reporting and graphing what is in the data generated by the machine. I would argue tidal volume cannot be considered without also looking at breath-rate, which gives the total air exchange over time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do appreciate, and understand, your hesitation about the other...... (nuf said) 

The thought that I'm trying to promote is that the tidal volume data should not be ignored when assessing the questionable hypopneas flags.

For my benefit and understanding, is the OSCAR graph for tidal volume taken directly from the EDF files. What I mean to say is that OSCAR software does NOT calculate tidal volume, but rather just presents the EDF data in graphic form. 

Am I correct in that assumption?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct; the Autoset, vAuto, and ASV machines (ResMed) all report tidal volume every two seconds.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2022, 06:00 AM)pholynyk Wrote: You are correct; the Autoset, vAuto, and ASV machines (ResMed) all report tidal volume every two seconds.
for additional clarification, please.

The tidal volume determination (that I have assumed is calculated rather than measured), can NOT be prior to the completion of an inhalation. 

What I'm suggesting is that the limiting factor (for tidal volume determinations) is not the cycle time of a sensor, but rather is the number of inhalations per unit time. 

Is this a correct way of looking at it?

Thanks again for your patience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea how the machine calculates anything. The code in the machine is a black box.

OSCAR takes the data in the edf files and displays it. I have no interest in going any deeper than that.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2022, 10:43 AM)pholynyk Wrote: I have no idea how the machine calculates anything. The code in the machine is a black box.

OSCAR takes the data in the edf files and displays it. I have no interest in going any deeper than that.

OK, lets try it this way, does the EDF file containing what OSCAR plots on the flow rate graphic have a heading and dimensions?
Like "flow rate, ml/sec "?
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course it does... read up on the edf file format: https://www.edfplus.info/

From the header:
Code:
Label      >Flow.40ms       <
Transducer >                                                                                <
Units      >L/s     <
Min        >-2.000000<
Max        >3.000000<
Dmin       >-1000<
Dmax       >1500<
PreFilter  >                                                                                <
Smp/Rec    >1500<
Reserved   >                                <
OSCAR scales the values to ml/sec for convenience
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar question - flow rate graph not showing kkjacks 7 120 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Trouble scrolling in a zoomed graph window. morningstar 2 466 09-26-2023, 12:43 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  Oscar graph questions. Bullabill 6 852 09-26-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Feature Request] EPR mode in overview pressure graph tossinandturnin 8 856 07-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: tossinandturnin
  No graph in OSCAR Sleepygrl 4 1,971 07-14-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: RedMtl
Question Percentages in Oscar - seek clarification BlueSky1958 3 654 07-09-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Graph data missing dalderson66 6 1,217 05-23-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.