Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clarify "Clear Airway" Rescan vs Sleepyhead
Clarify "Clear Airway" Rescan vs Sleepyhead
Just want to really clarify how Rescan is reporting my events. Here's Sleepyhead data for 1 night where it shows I had 6 events. 3 Clear Airway, 2 Obstructive, 1 Hypopnea.

Rescan, doesn't give you a clear count of events. You have to manually count them from the graph (As far as I can tell).

As I see it, Rescan says my 3 Clear Airway events are Central Events. Is that correct?     [attachment=3041]

And I do understand that no one is clear on the definition of Clear vs Central.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clarify "Clear Airway" Rescan vs Sleepyhead
Hi calcuttaman. Welcome to the Apnea Board. Clear Airway is the machines and software's best interpretation of an event where you stop breathing but your airway is open. These are essentially Central Apnea events. Your numbers look pretty good. Add your machine information and settings to your profile for easy reference.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi calcuttaman,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

from wiki:
Central Sleep Apnea - A period of at least 10 seconds without airflow, during which no respiratory effort is evident.

The use of the phrase "clear airway" and "Central SA" are essentially the same, and you will notice it is used interchangeably here.

This means that your brain "forgot" to tell you to breath. Your airway is open, but there is no effort to breath. I wouldnt worry as the Clear Airway Events are toward the morning and are probably what we call "sleep wake junk".

from wiki: Sleep-Wake-Junk - Clusters of apnea and hypopnea events concentrated mainly around periods of sleep-wake transition. In general Sleep-wake-junk (SWJ) is not regarded as "real" since they do not occur during periods of sleep, but may be during semi-awake periods or "dozing".

Hope that helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason these machines do not use the term Central Apnea is because they simply cannot detect it as a CA. You would need to be hooked up to many electrodes monitoring to see if there was any attempt to breath. ResMed (probably others) use FOT forced oscillation technique and an algorithm to do a best guess as to whether your airway is open or not. It doesn't know if it is a Central event or just that your airway is open and you are not breathing. Is that a Central Event? probably but legally they cannot call it.

Check this post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...03#pid1203

and also this one: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rway-apnea
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rescan software v 5.9 SteveC 7 977 09-10-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  F&P SleepStyle - Clear Airway/CentralApnea LookingForACleverHandle 6 778 08-03-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Beach Junky
  How to clear Z1 travel cpap faults? Motorheadrulz 2 1,951 08-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  RESCAN V7.0 MAULE-N9008E 8 2,641 10-13-2022, 08:51 AM
Last Post: JT60
  Rescan V7 download issue newmember 1 1,049 07-21-2022, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Call for Excel VBA help: to support effort to clarify/understand FL 2SleepBetta 44 5,693 10-24-2021, 04:54 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Rescan Data export for provider OldYamaha 13 1,320 10-08-2021, 06:04 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.