Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clean Zone--alternative to So Clean
Clean Zone--alternative to So Clean
there's a new--to me--product called Clean Zone that uses ozone to disinfect mask, hose and reservoir while these are detached from the machine. In other words, ozone never touches the cpap machine itself, which has been a concern for some (not for me.) The kicker is that this system only costs $100.00. 

any reviews or impressions? My So Clean recently bit the dust after about 13 years of service. 

The only thing is...Clean Zone takes 30 minutes to operate; So Clean, about 7. But the clean zone appears to not leak ozone into the air in your room.

anyway, this may answer the issues that people have with so clean possibly degrading cpap machines.

p.s. in googling around I see that there's also something called Respify that is very similar and similarly priced.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clean Zone--alternative to So Clean
Against my better judgement I'm going to respond, though I wonder if I should be providing oxygen to this argument.

1. Resmed recommend that the hose, mask and humidifier tub should be washed in mild detergent and warm water. Nothing else!

2. These machines are all sold under false pretences - they do not clean anything.

Honestly, why would anybody waste good money on a machine of dubious reputation to replace a simple clean with soap and water? I suppose there's one born every minute.
Post Reply Post Reply
“As seen on TV”; it must work. Seriously, another ozone cleaner that provides no good scientific studies to show it’s effective. I reviewed what little literature the manufacturer supplies. They do show before and after photos of petri dishes with and without E. coli colonies labeled before and after but don’t elaborate on how they were produced. This hardly qualifies as evidence of efficacy. I couldn’t find any detailed lab studies.

Even if it generates sufficient ozone to kill microorganisms it is unlikely that it will sanitize the inside of the hose. Effective sanitization of hoses with gaseous agents requires active movement of the gas through the hose. Passive diffusion is not reliable. Although I’ve never worked with ozone I have found this to be true for several other gaseous sterilizing agents.

Only testing claimed is to demonstrate it meets FCC requirements for radio emissions

It must leak ozone because the user instruction contain the caution “Never use Clean Zone™ in confined spaces less than 120 square foot (10' x 12') room with 8' ceiling. “

The bottom line, however, is why is anything more than mild detergent and water needed?

I've looked at Respify in the past. It's maker doesn't even supply photos of petri dishes to demonstrate it's efficacy.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
"I suppose there's one born every minute."

Yeah, grumpy know it alls are everywhere...

It's fine to have a philosophical aversion to these types of machines. Or to be temperamentally averse to them. Casting aspersions is unnecessary. As is well known, all of the pros and cons in this debate have been hashed to death. I won't get into it.

I was just curious if anyone had tried one of these and if so, what were their impressions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2020, 10:32 AM)hegel Wrote: Yeah, grumpy know it alls are everywhere

Have you been talking to my wife again?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2020, 10:45 PM)hegel Wrote: ... But the clean zone appears to not leak ozone into the air in your room...

... there's also something called Respify that is very similar and similarly priced.

It produces ozone in quantities to do some beneficial effect...at least, that's what the claim is.  So, if it doesn't leak into the room, what happens to it?  Or, would you guess that this machine, priced as it is, is so precise that it produces not one molecule more than is needed to achieve its claimed effect?

Secondly, it should come as no surprise that, in a market where any entry is going to have to be competitive in terms of cost, appeal, form-factor, and function, there should be so little variation in what each of them can do and at the competitive price point they all somehow manage to offer.  Call me a cynic, but my guess is that, just as one can get in-room ozone generators on popular sales sites for about USD$60 (markups all included), one should be able to find a number of offerings purporting to clean devices of all kinds, probably with those same ozone generators mounted in the frames.  These generators are engineered, tested, tooled, materials sourced, and brought to market for about USD$15/unit.  

You'll be met with resistance at this board when you talk about ozone cleaner/sanitizers.  While they probably do a god job of the latter, they can't possibly 'clean'.  You have to do that yourself.  So, while you're bending over the sink or the tub, why not swish the innards of the next-to-skin items and the hose with a sanitizing agent and be done with it...for pennies?  Or, if that is a moot point for the person sweet on ozone machines, why does RESMED, for one, say they'll not honour warranties where they can demonstrate that the customer subjected their machines or their peripherals to them?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2020, 01:22 PM)mesenteria Wrote: It produces ozone in quantities to do some beneficial effect...at least, that's what the claim is.  So, if it doesn't leak into the room, what happens to it?  Or, would you guess that this machine, priced as it is, is so precise that it produces not one molecule more than is needed to achieve its claimed effect?
Actually, ozone naturally breaks down to O2 with a half life of 15-30min. So even if there is no leakage it will "disappear". It doesn't require leakage or reaction with anything else for it to clear.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it either reacts with something or it naturally decays.  But, as one walks into a room that has an active ozone-generator will attest, you know there's something 'funny' about the air in that room.  I just wanted our poster to realize that the $100+ dollar SoClean can't generate what is needed for 'sanitizing' and on a one-molecule-for-one basis.  Some of it will leak into the space in which it operates, even if just back up the hose, through the machine, and out through the filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well no, the $100.00 machine is placed in a sealed tub or bag with the hose, mask and humidier tub, all detached from the machine. I thought this was interesting because some here think the So clean degrades the cpap machine.

Look, it's primarily the inside of the hose that I'm interested in. It's a pain to wash and dry and it represents a warm, potentially moist environment for mold and perhaps bacteria. The humidifier tub too but that's fairly easy to hand wash. 

The so clean has been around for what, 15 years or more? and it gets hundreds of rave reviews. I don't want to argue this; I just think that it's likely that it does what it claims, namely disinfect  tubes and masks--but not remove oils and worse from the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Seeking advice for reset of time zone richapple 0 195 02-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: richapple
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 449 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 914 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.