Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning - Actually Drying - Question
Cleaning - Actually Drying - Question
Ok, so I'll admit as a new user, I got sucked into a Soclean purchase. I'm in the process of seeing if I can return it (unboxed, but not used). I actually would be willing to use it based on mostly positive reviews from those that have tried it vs. those that say it isn't necessary, might not work). However, I'm worried about damage it might do to internal seals and stuff.

Anyway, I had washed my mask, hose and reservoir in scent free soap as recommended by Soclean. I did this Saturday around mid morning, and the house was relatively dry (humidity in the mid 30's), but by late that evening, there was still visible water drops throughout the climateline and mask hose.

So, I know some people clean and some don't (getting cleaning advice, based on reviewing old threads on here and other forum seems futile, as advice varies from daily tear down, soak/scrub, to never do it).

However, I haven't read anything on the best way to dry things out before using. Should I just hook it back up with the damp hose and figure the air will dry it out, or do I need to try and figure out a better way to dry the hoses after cleaning?

There is no way working and all that I'm going to have time to clean every morning, so I figure I'll try and do a weekly thorough cleaning, and daily wipe down with cpap/baby wipes (or maybe daily soap/water of nasal pillows).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning - Actually Drying - Question
Hi, as you said already, advice for cleaning runs the gamut.

But here's mine, Smile

I use cheap alcohol free wipes to wipe down the mask and silicon seal daily. At night I wipe my face off with one to remove skin oil which is death to the seal (from what I have read). Nightly I top off the humidifier.

Weekly, when I get up Saturday morning I wash the humidifier tank, mask and hose in warm dish soap water and rinse well, that takes only a couple minutes. I then reconnect the mask and hose and hang them from the ceiling without connecting to the machine. (I have plant hanger in the ceiling over the machine that I hang the mask from each morning when I get up so the hose is extended up to the ceiling and any water in the hose can drain back to the humidifier.) That also keeps it out of the way so the cats can't knock it onto the floor from the end table.

I then reconnect the hose to the machine that night and I am done. I figure a few little water drops in the hose are not a big deal.

Things to avoid - sunlight (UV is bad), heat (hair dryers are not recommended), harsh cleaners.

To me the important thing is a process that is not a major chore, otherwise I know me well enough to know I won't keep it up long. This process takes almost no time daily and very little on Saturday.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
After washing hose, shake it so that most water comes out, then hang the hose to dry.
You will never get all the water droplets out of the hose, and it doesn't really matter as soon as hose is connected and air is turned on, it will dry out.

I have two hoses, so that I can let one dry out and use the other.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 08:43 AM)OpalRose Wrote: After washing hose, shake it so that most water comes out, then hang the hose to dry.
You will never get all the water droplets out of the hose, and it doesn't really matter as soon as hose is connected and air is turned on, it will dry out.

I have two hoses, so that I can let one dry out and use the other.

Hmm, two hoses, good idea - seems the simple solutions are often overlooked by me Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jhtrazor,
Once a week, I soak my hose, mask and water chamber in warm, mild soapy water.
You can hang your hose over a shower curtain rod, (or a rack of some sort,) to dry, or you can hook your hose to your machine and run it so the air will dry out your hose.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 09:00 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi jhtrazor,
Once a week, I soak my hose, mask and water chamber in warm, mild soapy water.
You can hang your hose over a shower curtain rod, (or a rack of some sort,) to dry, or you can hook your hose to your machine and run it so the air will dry out your hose.
Hang in there for more suggestions.

I must admit that I didn't think about using the air from the machine until about 30 minutes before bed and took it off auto and cranked it up on full with the humidifier tank empty. I guess I could do that earlier in the day.

Also, thinking about it, I had it laid out on the kitchen counter on a towel, and should have hung it. Duh, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Since it's got a humidifier anyway, is there any practical downside to starting to use the hose with some drops left in terms of stuff growing?
Post Reply Post Reply
For some reason I hopped to the last post in the thread, and didn't see the previous replies. So, it sounds like hang the hose and realize that there are going to be some water droplets remaining and don't sweat it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been wondering if there are any benefits to using wipes to clean the mask rather than washing it in dish soap and warm water. I have the Wisp nasal mask and feel the need to clean the cushion every day. I have been using dish soap and warm water.

I feel satisfied with the cleaning, but I'm finding that the nasal cushions are only last about 3-4 weeks before they start leaking and need to be replaced. This is more often than my health coverage will pay for replacement, so I've been ordering them online.

I also make sure my face is clean at night before I put on the mask and I try to keep any facial moisturizer away from the area of my face that the nasal cushion touches.

Would wipes make the nasal cushion last longer?

Thanks.

(and thanks to jhtrazor, whose thread I am borrowing.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash the nasal pillows part of the mask every use. I keep a stash of them so that this is every 2 weeks. If I don't wear a clean pillow every night, my nose gets sore. The rest of the gear I swap out every week or two. I have several of everything now. I never get all the water drops out of the hoses no matter how long they hang, but the blower does do the job once I hook em up
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 10:12 AM)DariaVader Wrote: I wash the nasal pillows part of the mask every use. I keep a stash of them so that this is every 2 weeks. If I don't wear a clean pillow every night, my nose gets sore. The rest of the gear I swap out every week or two. I have several of everything now. I never get all the water drops out of the hoses no matter how long they hang, but the blower does do the job once I hook em up

My nose is raw, which I assume that just comes with being new to CPAP/nasal pillows, but it's also possibly I'm not cleaning them good enough. I've been wiping them down with one of the cpap cleaning wipes I bought.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,794 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 756 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.