Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Comfortlite 2
Humidifier: Airsense comes with humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 6-20
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Question Cleaning CPAP Equipment
Any recommendations for cleaning out the hose tubing, etc.? There is a machine out there that sterilizes all plus there are liquids out there for the task and someone recommended Listerine for it's anti-bacterial properties. I find it hard to clean inside the tube to do a good job. Is a long tube cleaning brush recommended?

Also, do you really clean the mask seal every day? I clean mine every 3-4 days.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2016 07:17 PM by genieangel.)
05-14-2016 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Gru. Offline

Members

Machine: S9 Vpap auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed mirage FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: E. 13.5 / I. 15.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Cleaning CPAP Equipment
I wash the humidifier tank, hose, mask every Sunday night with dish soap. then sanitize them all in control 3 solution for 10 min then rinse. Yes I clean the mask seal every night before bed with 91% alcohol and a paper towel, then wipe my face with the paper towel where the mask seals. Never had a problem with colds or even being sick in the last three years doing this. Also clean the filter weekly, Change filter monthly.
05-14-2016 09:16 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi genieangel,
I soak my hose, mask and humidifier chamber in warm, mild, soapy, (Ivory Liquid,) water once a week. I put my headgear in to soak with the other things every once in a while.
To dry your hose, you can hang it up over a shower curtain rod.
Hang in there for more suggestions.

trish6hundred
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2016 09:20 PM by trish6hundred.)
05-14-2016 09:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
genieangel Offline

Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset for Her
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Comfortlite 2
Humidifier: Airsense comes with humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 6-20
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

(05-14-2016 09:16 PM)Gru. Wrote:  I then sanitize them all in control 3 solution for 10 min then rinse.

What is in the Control 3 solution?
05-14-2016 10:12 PM
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Sex: Male

I do what trish6hundred does. I live in a what could fairly be called a high mildew area. I am pretty sure that Mildew is is the Official Local Flower. The air going through the tube has moisture from the humidifier. I plan on replacing it as soon as it shows signs or smell of growth. The rest I can wash with soap and water.
05-14-2016 10:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-14-2016 10:12 PM)genieangel Wrote:  
(05-14-2016 09:16 PM)Gru. Wrote:  I then sanitize them all in control 3 solution for 10 min then rinse.

What is in the Control 3 solution?

Control III Disinfectant germicide is a hospital grade disinfectant. It contains a special combination of two quaternary compounds, which makes it a highly effective, broad-spectrum disinfectant. By providing a hospital grade disinfectant for home care, you are assured of the same infection control at home that is available in hospitals. Mixed at a rate of 1 ounce to a gallon of water, a use solution of Control III Disinfectant can be created which can be used on a variety of hard surfaces and equipment.

I just use mild liquid soap and very hot water once a week. My hose is over two years old and doesn't show a spot of contamination. Likewise my humidifier.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-14-2016 11:51 PM
palerider Offline

Preferred Members-

Machine: s9 vpap auto
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 18/13+

Other Comments:

my hose neither, and it's about three years old, and has never been washed...
05-15-2016 02:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Hi genie. There are long brushes that you can buy for cleaning the hose. I don't know how many people use them.

I clean my hose in the bathtub. I'm able to get a large stream of water going into it that way. I use Dawn dish soap. Then I hang the hose over the shower curtain rod to dry.

I soak the hose and the plastic parts of my mask in a dilute vinegar and water solution every couple of weeks and then rinse.

I, personally, would not use Listerine for cleaning. I feel like there's a possibility that you could end up breathing a tiny bit of whatever you use to clean the hose and mask parts with, and I would not want to breathe any Listerine. (I wouldn't want to breathe Dawn dish soap either, but the idea of that doesn't bother me as much for some reason.)

I have a nasal mask, and I do wash the nasal cushion every day. If you want, you could look into getting one or more spare nasal pillows once you feel like you have the correct size. You can buy them either from your DME or online (probably lots less expensive online.)

I have been on this forum since February, and I've noticed that people wash their mask and hose with widely different frequencies, and the same goes for replacing the hose. I think it depends on individual preference and on how susceptible you are to respiratory illnesses.

If your CPAP supplies are covered by health insurance, you can check what the allowed replacement interval is for the hose. For me, it's six months, and I expect I will be getting a new hose every six months.

As far as the fancy device to sterilize CPAP equipment goes, I don't know how helpful those are. If you do get one, I'd think you would still need to wash your mask and hose to remove any skin oils or other material that gets deposited on them.

(05-14-2016 07:16 PM)genieangel Wrote:  Any recommendations for cleaning out the hose tubing, etc.? There is a machine out there that sterilizes all plus there are liquids out there for the task and someone recommended Listerine for it's anti-bacterial properties. I find it hard to clean inside the tube to do a good job. Is a long tube cleaning brush recommended?

05-15-2016 09:28 AM
filo4u Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurveā„¢ 10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: Fisher and Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: PS 3.0 over 8.0-16.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-14-2016 07:16 PM)genieangel Wrote:  Any recommendations for cleaning out the hose tubing, etc.? There is a machine out there that sterilizes all plus there are liquids out there for the task and someone recommended Listerine for it's anti-bacterial properties. I find it hard to clean inside the tube to do a good job. Is a long tube cleaning brush recommended?

Hello genieangel, awhile back I had issues cleaning my cpap machine too. I cleaned my machine with dawn and vinegar once a week then switched to cleaning it everyday because of me being a big germaphobe and had some nasal issues. I purchased the soclean 2 about a year ago and couldn't be happier! My machine now gets sanitized everyday on a timer. Using the soclean leaves me with a high degree of confidence that my cpap machine is clean before using it every night.
05-15-2016 11:22 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
shewhorn Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson & ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 19

Other Comments:

My question would be... what's the easiest and fastest way to clean the hose? I'm willing to sacrifice efficiency and speed for effectiveness. I know that for myself, if it's a process that takes any amount of time, I'm less likely to do it. Fortunately with the humidifier tank, I just throw it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
05-15-2016 03:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cleaning Dream wear mask Judy1843 3 183 12-02-2016 07:13 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  [News] ASAA received large supply of donated equipment big_dave 0 112 11-28-2016 11:34 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  How to disinfect used equipment Lanco 21 687 11-18-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Spy Car
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,269 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 365 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP cleaning system Tommy C 97 62,766 10-20-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Equipment] New vs. Used Equipment T.Hud 10 512 10-15-2016 02:20 PM
Last Post: T.Hud