Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning CPAP Equipment
Question 
Cleaning CPAP Equipment
Any recommendations for cleaning out the hose tubing, etc.? There is a machine out there that sterilizes all plus there are liquids out there for the task and someone recommended Listerine for it's anti-bacterial properties. I find it hard to clean inside the tube to do a good job. Is a long tube cleaning brush recommended?

Also, do you really clean the mask seal every day? I clean mine every 3-4 days.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning CPAP Equipment
I wash the humidifier tank, hose, mask every Sunday night with dish soap. then sanitize them all in control 3 solution for 10 min then rinse. Yes I clean the mask seal every night before bed with 91% alcohol and a paper towel, then wipe my face with the paper towel where the mask seals. Never had a problem with colds or even being sick in the last three years doing this. Also clean the filter weekly, Change filter monthly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi genieangel,
I soak my hose, mask and humidifier chamber in warm, mild, soapy, (Ivory Liquid,) water once a week. I put my headgear in to soak with the other things every once in a while.
To dry your hose, you can hang it up over a shower curtain rod.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 09:16 PM)Gru. Wrote: I then sanitize them all in control 3 solution for 10 min then rinse.

What is in the Control 3 solution?

Post Reply Post Reply
I do what trish6hundred does. I live in a what could fairly be called a high mildew area. I am pretty sure that Mildew is is the Official Local Flower. The air going through the tube has moisture from the humidifier. I plan on replacing it as soon as it shows signs or smell of growth. The rest I can wash with soap and water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 10:12 PM)genieangel Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 09:16 PM)Gru. Wrote: I then sanitize them all in control 3 solution for 10 min then rinse.

What is in the Control 3 solution?

Control III Disinfectant germicide is a hospital grade disinfectant. It contains a special combination of two quaternary compounds, which makes it a highly effective, broad-spectrum disinfectant. By providing a hospital grade disinfectant for home care, you are assured of the same infection control at home that is available in hospitals. Mixed at a rate of 1 ounce to a gallon of water, a use solution of Control III Disinfectant can be created which can be used on a variety of hard surfaces and equipment.

I just use mild liquid soap and very hot water once a week. My hose is over two years old and doesn't show a spot of contamination. Likewise my humidifier.

Post Reply Post Reply
my hose neither, and it's about three years old, and has never been washed...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi genie. There are long brushes that you can buy for cleaning the hose. I don't know how many people use them.

I clean my hose in the bathtub. I'm able to get a large stream of water going into it that way. I use Dawn dish soap. Then I hang the hose over the shower curtain rod to dry.

I soak the hose and the plastic parts of my mask in a dilute vinegar and water solution every couple of weeks and then rinse.

I, personally, would not use Listerine for cleaning. I feel like there's a possibility that you could end up breathing a tiny bit of whatever you use to clean the hose and mask parts with, and I would not want to breathe any Listerine. (I wouldn't want to breathe Dawn dish soap either, but the idea of that doesn't bother me as much for some reason.)

I have a nasal mask, and I do wash the nasal cushion every day. If you want, you could look into getting one or more spare nasal pillows once you feel like you have the correct size. You can buy them either from your DME or online (probably lots less expensive online.)

I have been on this forum since February, and I've noticed that people wash their mask and hose with widely different frequencies, and the same goes for replacing the hose. I think it depends on individual preference and on how susceptible you are to respiratory illnesses.

If your CPAP supplies are covered by health insurance, you can check what the allowed replacement interval is for the hose. For me, it's six months, and I expect I will be getting a new hose every six months.

As far as the fancy device to sterilize CPAP equipment goes, I don't know how helpful those are. If you do get one, I'd think you would still need to wash your mask and hose to remove any skin oils or other material that gets deposited on them.

(05-14-2016, 07:16 PM)genieangel Wrote: Any recommendations for cleaning out the hose tubing, etc.? There is a machine out there that sterilizes all plus there are liquids out there for the task and someone recommended Listerine for it's anti-bacterial properties. I find it hard to clean inside the tube to do a good job. Is a long tube cleaning brush recommended?

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 07:16 PM)genieangel Wrote: Any recommendations for cleaning out the hose tubing, etc.? There is a machine out there that sterilizes all plus there are liquids out there for the task and someone recommended Listerine for it's anti-bacterial properties. I find it hard to clean inside the tube to do a good job. Is a long tube cleaning brush recommended?

Hello genieangel, awhile back I had issues cleaning my cpap machine too. I cleaned my machine with dawn and vinegar once a week then switched to cleaning it everyday because of me being a big germaphobe and had some nasal issues. I purchased the soclean 2 about a year ago and couldn't be happier! My machine now gets sanitized everyday on a timer. Using the soclean leaves me with a high degree of confidence that my cpap machine is clean before using it every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
My question would be... what's the easiest and fastest way to clean the hose? I'm willing to sacrifice efficiency and speed for effectiveness. I know that for myself, if it's a process that takes any amount of time, I'm less likely to do it. Fortunately with the humidifier tank, I just throw it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,794 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.