Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning CPAP Equipment
RE: Cleaning CPAP Equipment
(05-15-2016, 03:26 PM)shewhorn Wrote: My question would be... what's the easiest and fastest way to clean the hose? I'm willing to sacrifice efficiency and speed for effectiveness. I know that for myself, if it's a process that takes any amount of time, I'm less likely to do it. Fortunately with the humidifier tank, I just throw it in the top rack of the dishwasher.

I am one of the once a week people. I take hose, mask, humidifier into the kitchen and half fill a sink with hot water and a dash of plain dish soap. I put everything in and swirl it around a little, then let it soak about 30 minutes. I then swish it some more and then run water over under and through everything until clear.

I take the headgear and once soaked I put a few drops of soap on it and massage it until completely foamy, then continue massaging while holding under running water until it is clear - no more suds.

I then lay everything out on a dish towel and let it air dry for an hour or two.

My involvement is about a total of 10 minutes to take it all apart, swish it around, rinse it off, lay it out to dry and then put it all back together. Once a week doesn't bother me.

I wipe down the mask and cushions every night before going to bed and top off the humidifier as necessary. I then wipe again in the morning when I get up. I use a cheap non-alcohol "baby wipe".
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a hose brush. It's fast, effective, and easy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like our members with round tuits are not showing up for this thread. I wash the humidifier tank and the hard plastic parts of my mask when I get a round tuit. I have washed one of my hoses once or maybe twice in the last 4 years. I have decided to clean the mask cushions only with Pampers baby wipes. Keeps the cushions in excellent shape and helps to seal in or replace the plasticizer in the Silicone that keeps it flexible. It also gives the silicone a little bit of tackiness which I think helps to maintain the seal.

I have not even had a cold in the 5 years that I have been a hosehead.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2016, 05:55 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It looks like our members with round tuits are not showing up for this thread. I wash the humidifier tank and the hard plastic parts of my mask when I get a round tuit. I have washed one of my hoses once or maybe twice in the last 4 years. I have decided to clean the mask cushions only with Pampers baby wipes. Keeps the cushions in excellent shape and helps to seal in or replace the plasticizer in the Silicone that keeps it flexible. It also gives the silicone a little bit of tackiness which I think helps to maintain the seal.

I have not even had a cold in the 5 years that I have been a hosehead.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I think that there's a lot of people that are new, and fervently cleaning their equipment, and people that have been doing it for some long time, that have decided it's not worth the trouble. I've never washed my second hose, (second in seven years) though I did wash the first one a couple times... because people said to.. then I figured "why?" I'll wipe down the mask, and wash it if it doesn't still look clean. change filters when they're dusty... it works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know some people have had issues with various science experiments growing in their hoses, etc. and getting sick as a result (mold is especially nasty). I'm guessing success may be regional. While Dallas is (if I'm correct) kind of in the middle for humidity, it's often so hot there that air conditioning is a requirement. AC dries out the air so... you have a climate controlled environment (not hot) with very dry air which isn't as hospitable to science projects. Smile In a more humid environment such as where I live (NH) where you need a machete to cut the air in the summer months (and not everyone has AC), it might be more favorable to interesting things growing in your hose! Just a theory.

I think my DME replaces my hose every 6 months. I'll probably clean it more frequently in the summer months when a SCUBA tank is required to breath, and not as frequently in the winter months where it's so friggin' dry you need to wear a Faraday cage to avoid getting shocked! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2016, 05:55 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It looks like our members with round tuits are not showing up for this thread. I wash the humidifier tank and the hard plastic parts of my mask when I get a round tuit.

[Image: tuit.jpg]

I've been bad about not washing mine every week so I occasionally go two weeks but I've never had an issue and I use distilled water all the time. I also change out my filter rather than wash it. They are cheap enough. I replace the pillows ever 3 months.

I would go broke if I listen to my DME who says I need to change out the pillows every few days. Oh-jeez
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Lavender scented baby shampoolike. Cushion daily. Everything else weekly. Dawn dish liquid gave sour smell(or maybe it was me)
Post Reply Post Reply
Every morning: wash the nasal pillows and mask parts that make contact with my face in warm water with regular soap, the same stuff I wash my hands and face with. Doesn't take any longer than washing hands.

Once a week: Fill sink with hot water and Dawn detergent, toss in everything - hose, mask, headgear, filter, and let it soak for about 20 min while I do other errands. Rinse everything out under hot water. Press out the filter and headgear on a towel, hang the hose to dry. Takes a few minutes to put everything in the sink, and a few minutes to rinse, dry, and shake off.

I don't use a humidifier. If I did, I'd probably have to add more steps to be sure of getting rid of, and preventing, mildew.
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally subscribe to the manufacturer's and insurance's recommendations. Not what the DME wants to sell me. No more, no less. Not to say there are special situations that apply.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 376 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.