Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning Spill Inside of Dreamstation Machine
Cleaning Spill Inside of Dreamstation Machine
We went on vacation and I packed my brand new Dreamstation machine in a bag that also contained a bottle of apple cider. Long story short, bottle of apple cider opened up and spilled the contents into the machine.

The machine dried out and is fully functional, but the insides still smells of stale apple cider and waking up, I feel like I've breathed in something and start coughing (might be a nocebo effect).

My first attempt to clean it was to stick cleaning cloths into the air passage as far as it will go, but that hasn't cleaned it.

I've called the manufacturer and talked to the doctor's staff, but they both just recommend that I wipe the outside of the machine. Disregarding their advice, I cracked open the machine, but the fan and air passage area is surrounded by a two piece plastic shield that's sealed; no way for me to access that area without breaking something that shouldn't be broken.

So, any thoughts about how to clean this? Can I flush the entire system with water and let it airdry until it's completely dry? Stick a pipecleaner in further?

I'm on my 18 year old backup machine that sounds like a jet taking off, but I really want to get back onto my brand new $1K machine.

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning Spill Inside of Dreamstation Machine
I certainly would not want to risk compounding any apparently minor damage by 'flushing it out with water...' again.  That's all cider is, plus sugar, unless it somehow becomes vinegar in which case you have a heap of trouble ahead.

You have two practical choices:

a. Live with it as it, and hope the smell goes away and that nothing further develops: or

b. Ask the manufacturer for a repair estimate, or an estimate to have it cleaned.

Meanwhile, aside from the cleaning you have accomplished, you can practically only clean the reservoir and tubing/mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a Dream station in which I sometimes use Essential Oils. If I'm stuffy I use Eucalyptus Oil, and sometimes a bit of Lavender for a sleep aid.
I just put a couple of drops of oil on the air filter, reinsert the filter and enjoy the aroma of the oil. I'm wondering if  you used a few drops of an oil that you find pleasant would help?

Hope this helps.
Bompa
Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 12:11 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I certainly would not want to risk compounding any apparently minor damage by 'flushing it out with water...' again.  That's all cider is, plus sugar, unless it somehow becomes vinegar in which case you have a heap of trouble ahead.

You have two practical choices:

a. Live with it as it, and hope the smell goes away and that nothing further develops: or

b. Ask the manufacturer for a repair estimate, or an estimate to have it cleaned.

Meanwhile, aside from the cleaning you have accomplished, you can practically only clean the reservoir and tubing/mask.

Thanks. Is there any issue with running the machine for a few hours not connected to anything on the hope that it'll also clear out gunk.

Also, what's the issue with vinegar? The cider was hard cider, so it was part of the way to vinegar...
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t think So Clean machines are necessary for cleaning CPAP machines and supplies, but I wonder if the ozone generated by the SoClean would get rid of the residual odor in this particular instance. Can anyone that has a SoClean comment?

I know my DME uses them to clean trial masks, so might be worth asking the DME if they can run your machine through a SoClean machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'd invest in a can of Ozium first and spray it in the intake while the CPAP is running.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 02:41 PM)MichaelFan Wrote: ...Also, what's the issue with vinegar? The cider was hard cider, so it was part of the way to vinegar...

Vinegar contains acetic acid.  Acids are ionic solutions that oxidize materials, especially metals.  You have a lot of thin slivers of metals on your motherboard, commonly known as solder.  Acids are very bad for solders over time.  So, IF your solution were at all acidic, and IF any of it makes contact with sensitive electronics or connections, you may have a repair in the next few weeks/months when the thinnest solders break down.  ...IF...   We don't know that yet.  But, maybe a cleaning job will be cheaper than the repair with motherboard replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll 2nd Crimson Nape. I'd try the Ozium.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found some Ozium Air Sanitizer spray and wow, that's one of the scariest labels I've read in some time.

"It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling... Spray away from plastic"

"Corrosive. Causes irreversible eye damage. Do not get in eyes or on clothing"

"Note to physician: probably mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage"

I'm going to consult with my doctor friend before I spray this into my machine.

I've run the machine for 4 hours with no mask and it didn't smell of apple cider when I sniffed the outside of the machine. I did try a night with it on again and it still smells about as strong as it did before and I did cough the morning after. I'll run it with a mask again for a few more hours today and see if it helps.

Thanks again for all your advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't want to spray the Ozium into the machine. What you do is spray it on some cotton balls and place them next to the filter intake. Run the machine and let it pull the vapors through the machine. Needless to say you don't want to be using your hose or mask during this process.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,799 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 612 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 761 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.