Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning - What is really Needed?
Cleaning - What is really Needed?
I have been using CPAP with nose pillows for 3 months and have been mostly washing them daily.  The hose, pillow mount and water reservoir are washed weekly.  I just saw that I should also be washing the pillow mount/ vent part daily.  However, I never see any sign of dirt/ contamination of any kind even when missing a couple of days.  Everything always looks immaculate even before washing so I feel like my schedule is quite excessive.   Are there any recommendations on what is really needed/ adequate to keep these components clean?  What do others do? 

I do live in a very dry climate, Sacramento CA, and suspect the result could be much different in a humid climate.

On that same note, I have also seen a recommendation to replace the hose and mask every 3 months.  What is the reason for that?  All of my components look perfect.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning - What is really Needed?
Your schedule is fine, and more aggressive than mine. I spill and wipe the humidifier chamber daily, clean weekly. Mask cushion 2-days, mask frame and tubing never, I just replace the mask every 6 months and have never had an issue. Obviously we don't share this equipment and if a hygiene or health problem were apparent I would deal with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't overthink the need for frequent cleaning. My hose is original to my machine, and I've been uoing it now for over three years. Same goes for the water reservoir. 

I quit using distilled water years ago. It's just tap water now and it's fine. I do empty the reservoir each morning. My mask gets wiped down with Clorox Anti-bacterial Wet Wipes every couple of days or so. 

I'm using an AirFit F30 and it's so easy to clean. About every two weeks or so, my headgear, mask, and cushion, gets a good scrubbing in Hot water and dawn dish soap. If I think of it, I'll toss the water tank in as well. 

I use white vinegar in the water tank to rid it of any mineral build-up that might occur. A few minutes of soaking and it's all gone, clean as new! 

The hose itself gets cleaned every couple of months. Hot water and Dawn dish soap. I never experience any rain-out. 

I was in the military. I'm Germ-ProofBigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2021, 11:24 AM)mcman56 Wrote: On that same note, I have also seen a recommendation to replace the hose and mask every 3 months.  What is the reason for that?  All of my components look perfect.
There may be several reasons:
The suppliers make more profits when you replace components per their schedule.
Arbitrary recommendation
Concern for liability if someone uses a component t0o long without cleaning and gets some type of respiratory infection (highly unlikely)

Most here change components much less frequently, like when they fail. I've been using the same hose for 4 years and won't replace it until it fails in some way.
The recommended frequency for full face mask cushions is monthly. I used the last one for two years before I replaced it. I use a reservoir until it develops leaks.
I've been using my original F20 mask frame for over 4 years. I replaced the headgear after 3 years when the Velcro began to fail. I recommend keeping at least one spare of everything and saving your money. I do replace filters every month or two which is close to the recommended schedule.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow I could never keep up with that lol. I use distilled water in my humidifier and empty it each day allowing it to air dry. I rinse the hose and mask tubing with dawn and hot water every two weeks. I change my filters every two weeks as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
What filters so you change?  My system only has this small coarse air intake filter that always looks perfect.  It looks like it is there to make sure a bug does not get sucked in.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2021, 07:48 PM)mcman56 Wrote: What filters so you change?  My system only has this small coarse air intake filter that always looks perfect.  It looks like it is there to make sure a bug does not get sucked in.

I feel the same as you do. It's there to protect the machine, not the user. 

The filter in my ResMed 10 AutoSet rarely gets dirty. If it should, I simply wash and dry it and it's good to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s a good idea to have a spare hose, mask, humidifier chamber, filters, and cushion. Most of the recommended replacement times are based on what insurance will pay for. Order a replacement when you start to use your spare.  Those items generally last much longer than the minimum replacement recommendations.  Memory foam cushions are an exception as they have an average 30 day lifespan.  Pollen filters are good for 2 to 4 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is important to note that no manufacturer recommends cleaning of the INSIDE of the machine itself and with very good reasons.
The machine motor and blow chambers are protected with fine filters and the machine's inside cavity is in positive pressure state while it is working, so the likelihood of the insides of the machine getting contaminated , is very low.
The mask, tube and water containers can be cleaned using warm water and mild soap dish every other night before use (or every day if you are really fussy).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THERE IS NO NEED FOR OZONE AND ULTRAVIOLET CLEANERS<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are considering to buy expensive cleaning equipment, spend the money on something more important because you are wasting your money on these so called cleaners and if you happen to have a Philips product, you will run the risk of destroying the sound abating foam inside and seriously hurt your health.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2021, 11:24 AM)mcman56 Wrote: On that same note, I have also seen a recommendation to replace the hose and mask every 3 months.  What is the reason for that?  All of my components look perfect.

In my experience (>6 years) that is unnecessary provided the equipment is cleaned regularly.  My current hose is 5 years old and the mask 3 years old.

Masks need to be cleaned often but tend to last well provided the seals are not damaged by sharp fingernails ets.

The only issue with the hose that I can see (apart from physically breaking it) is mould if the user runs high humidity and does not disconnect the hose from the tank to allow it to air out when not using it.

Headgear can be an issue with some masks.  I had a Pilaro mask where the elastic straps used to perish and lose tension over a few months.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,776 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 157 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 147 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 176 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 178 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,664 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.