Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning Your Stuff
Cleaning Your Stuff
Please what is a good solution to clean the mask, hoses, humidifier with?
Also, how often?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning Your Stuff
Hi big1dog,
I soak my mask, hose, and humidifier chamber in warm soapy water once a week and I use Ivory liquid.
Another good cleaning solution is Control III. You can find that at CPAP suppliers on the supplier list at the top of each page here on the board.
Edit: Anyway, then I rince everything and dry it well then I put things back together so it will be ready for use, end edit.
When I think of it, I will wipe my cushion with mask wipes in the morning when I get up between washing times.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Big,

For my stuff I just use a little liquid dish soap and warm water. I usually soak stuff awhile, then rinse very well and allow to air dry.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hot running water for most days.

Sometimes a little liquid soap.

1 part Vinegar & 2 parts water every so often.

I bought come Control III but the warning label was so dire that the vinegar seemed much safer.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I TRY to empty my chamber daily, wash it and my cushion in dawn unscented dishwashing liquid (not for the dishwasher). Weekly, I have a designated bucket that I put all parts in except the seal inside the water chamber and my head gear and chin strap (which I am not having to use anymore) with vinegar and dawn unscented dishwashing liquid (again, not for the dishwasher). After I let it soak a while, I wash all parts and then I put all the parts except the climate line tubing on a towel to air dry and then put it all back together and put distilled water in the water chamber. The climate line tubing I hang up to air dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very mild soap and water. Doesn't take much soap at all. The most important is the rinse. You want to remove the soap residue so you can get the seal. Plus if the soap has any smell to it, you might not want that blowing into your nose all night.

Some wash theirs every morning. Some do it once a week. Some do it less than that. Some spend big bucks on ozone cleaners (that sound you hear is me giggling). Some use Control III solution which will kill germs and viruses.

I use a scent free mild soap on the mask parts and hoses. After a simple rinse, I soak them and the humidifier parts in a vinegar solution. Then I rinse like mad and let it air dry.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi big1dog

On a daily basis I rinse my mask and the short flexible hose which attaches to the mask, with warm water and a non-scented liquid soap. The humidifier tank also gets emptied. I leave all this to dry during the day, and reassemble all the parts in the evening.
Once a week I disassemble all parts and soak in hot unscented soapy water for about 1/2 an hour and then rinse thoroughly with hot water to remove all soap residue. The hoses & mask cushions the get rinsed in a bit of distilled water, to minimize lime buildup. All the parts are left to air-dry during the day, and reassembled in the evening.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Baby Wash & Shampoo works for me. I do the mask every morning and everything else weekly. On the weekly wash, I also rinse the humidifier chamber with a weak vinegar solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash mine every weekend. I use dawn dish soap (unscented ... not anti-bacterial). I put a little white vinegar in with the soap and soak my mask (cushions and headgear), hoses, and humidifier tub for a couple hours. Rinse thoroughly and hang up to air dry. I do this early mornings so the equipment has all day to air dry. I have a dishpan used only for cleaning my CPAP equipment so my equipment doesn't pick up any bacteria that might be in the sink.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am curious. I hear a lot of soaking going on. The info that came with my ResMed Mirage Quattro said to wash the mask in warm water but warned not to soak it. My old F&P zest mask said to soak in warm water for not more than 15 minutes. Anyone have any idea why these recommendations are the way they are?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 187 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 144 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 254 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,752 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 152 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 326 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 589 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.