Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning Your Stuff
RE: Cleaning Your Stuff
(04-04-2014, 05:30 PM)PollCat Wrote: If you use the Search button at the top of this page, you can locate numerous threads covering the debates about need to use "distilled water".

Yes. And I was actually thinking of starting another one.

All the discussions, and there have been many as you say, seem to always go back to whether or not tap water makes my machine look icky, and should I wash it or not.

I am much more concerned with whether or not, and I believe it's "whether," humidifiers can contain a health risk all on their own when used with tap water.

Incidentally, for those that don't know, one of the main uses for "Neti Pots" is/was for sleep apnea. Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually wash my mask at least once a week and do it in the shower. Kill two birds with one stone. Wash out the tank every couple of weeks and throw it in the dishwasher on the top rack. When I am home, I use distilled water. On the road, bottled, or if they want to much for that - whatever comes out of the tap. I change my filters weekly and also rinse the foam filter at the same. And I don't remember the last time I washed either car and the neighborhood kids haven't written wash me on the back window yet. If I wait for it to rain, it will be the middle of July. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Retired_guy,

I read the article and although the author is an MD (apparently), he does not seem to know much about distillation and the use of a Netti Pot is in no way similar to CPAP heated humidification especially at low temperatures like CPAP humidifiers. As pointed out by ResMed and Zonk neither viruses nor bacteria nor single cell organisms will move into the airstream with the water molecules because, in comparison, they are too big. Of course minerals will not be carried with the air either. As far as chlorine is concerned, most municipal drinking water processing does not use chlorine gas. They use chloramine and the residual chlorine after treatment is controlled to the low parts per million concentration.

After all of this, as far as I am concerned, the decision whether or not to use distilled water is largely personal or a matter of supply.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 09:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Retired_guy,

I read the article and although the author is an MD (apparently), he does not seem to know much about distillation and the use of a Netti Pot is in no way similar to CPAP heated humidification especially at low temperatures like CPAP humidifiers. As pointed out by ResMed and Zonk neither viruses nor bacteria nor single cell organisms will move into the airstream with the water molecules because, in comparison, they are too big. Of course minerals will not be carried with the air either. As far as chlorine is concerned, most municipal drinking water processing does not use chlorine gas. They use chloramine and the residual chlorine after treatment is controlled to the low parts per million concentration.

After all of this, as far as I am concerned, the decision whether or not to use distilled water is largely personal or a matter of supply.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Yes Payton, I know. Cities are converting to Chloramine because the government is very concerned about disinfection byproducts from chlorination. But Chloramine produces its own brand of disinfection byproducts that are not being regulated by the govenment. Currently the FDA is considering banning chloromine from drinking water. That probably will not happen.

But you are also correct that whether or not anyone wants to use or not use distilled water is their own choice. After all, the government keeps us safe, don't they?

I'll drop this now and not bring it up again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I am not arguing about this.

I am seeking any actual evidence of real problems.

It doesn't HURT anything much for some folks to wash it a lot.

It's just that until there is some actual evidence of a significant problem it won't be something that wastes *my* time nor *my* money.

The tank can be washed or replaced. So can the hose.

One of my goals is to based my decisions on facts, logic, and evidence as much as practical.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawn dish soap. Few drops in the sink, fill it with hot water, and let it soak while I'm in the shower. Every night, for the mask, once a week for the hose and tank. Coming up on 4 years since I replaced the mask cushion... And it's as comfortable and leak free as ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Warm soapy water. I learned on this board that if your water is too hot for you hands to be in it, then it's too hot for your equipment to be in it. Water that is too hot will prematurely degrade your equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my machine since Jan 9, so at the 3 month mark. I've been using baby shampoo and warm/hot water. I wash my mask cushion every couple of days and try to wash the rest of the mask, hose and water tank once a week (sometimes ends up 2 weeks before I get to it).This seems to be going fine.

However, this past weekend (it had been 2 weeks since the last cleaning), the inside of the water tank no longer felt smooth. It was rough along the bottom and up the sides to around the water level. Hadn't had this happen before and it felt like it might have gotten pitted or layered with a residue. I used vinegar and water and let it soak for a while and the residue came right out and it was smooth again just like new.

Not sure if it was the extra time that caused this. I always use distilled water and it has never run dry. I just add some water to it every night or three depending on what it left. I usually only fill it to the 1/2 or 3/4 mark. So my new process will be, tank weekly with baby shampoo must of the time and then vinegar when needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 185 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 254 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,747 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 326 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 589 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.