Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning masks?
Cleaning masks?
I've just had a fairly strong head cold for a couple of days, during which I continued to use my AirFit F10 full-face mask. Thus I'm wondering if I ought to clean it and, if so, how. Do you all every clean your masks? Are there any do's and don't's (anything that might, for example, mess up the seal)?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning masks?
I was told to clean it once a week and just wipe it down in the morning with a damp cloth. But I am kinda a germaphobe and wash mine each morning with soap. The equipment lady at Sanford told me to use baby shampoo or a mild dishwashing detergent.
Post Reply Post Reply
The nights I do not wash my mask, and my face both, air leaks start by midnight, and continue on until I get up and correct it. I recently had the flu. Yeah, everything but headgear got soaked.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash the nose piece every day in a mild soapy water, on weekends i soak all of it, and every couple weeks do the vinegar soak thing after the soap soak thing. I sleep better, and the equipment smells better. when I was traveling I did much less, and it felt stinky and sticky to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.airfitf10.com/airfit-f10-instructions.html
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dyssomniac,
I soak my mask once a week in warm,, soapy water, I use Ivory liquid dishsoap but you can use baby shampoo, too.
When I think of it, I wipe my mask in the morning with CPAP wipes as well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 5% white vinegar.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash mask every morning with dish soap rinse and dry. sanitize mask, hose and water tank every Sunday night with Control 3. Eat-popcorn

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all, duly dunked with Ivory flakes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your body had billions of cold germs in it while you were sick. Assuming your body manages to fight off the germy hordes already in your body, a few of the same germs coming back into your body from the mask aren't going to make a difference.

It would be an extra bad idea for someone else to use your mask right now.

Give it an extra good cleaning just for the heck of it.

If you're extra paranoid, get some Control III disinfectant online and soak your mask in it after cleaning, but it's not really needed unless you're using equipment that's been used by someone else. Read and follow the label directions and dilute it before using.

Realize that CPAP equipment goes on you, not in you. It's not surgical equipment. There are germs in the air going into your CPAP, but you're breathing those same germs 16 hours a day when you're not using CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.