Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning masks?
RE: Cleaning masks?
Wife and my mask cushions get a Dawn wash everyday the hoses once a week and the tanks every two weeks with a white vinegar soak then wash. Tanks get dumped daily and just washed with dawn every other day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2014, 07:02 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: http://www.airfitf10.com/airfit-f10-instructions.html

near as I can tell, almost *no one* actually (just) follows the instructions.... if we just go with those, no need for conversation Smile usually it's more than just the instructions that is desired. (besides, that told "how" but not "how often")
Post Reply Post Reply
I soak my mask every morning in hot, mild soapy water and then soak it in non-soapy water.

In my experience, a daily clean in soapy water is essential to remove facial oils from the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
I clean my mask completely in warm soapy water occasionally (when the impulse strikes me). I wipe the cushions daily with a clean rag. Sometimes I will wash the cushions only (on the same schedule as washing the whole mask).

I have not even had a cold since I started CPAP 4 years ago.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll relate my experience for what it's worth, not suggesting that it could be a standard of care for masks.

I had a spare mask given to me by my brother who has been CPAPing for 12 years and more. He had cleaned it and stored it in a zip-lock bag when he got a new one on the six month schedule that is common. Since I have to pay for mine, he gave it to me for possible use. I also cleaned it fully (you can't take your brother's word) in warm soapy (Dawn) water and put it aside in a new zip lock bag for use as a spare since I already had a brand new Mirage Quattro. As my new mask became an old mask and I never did have much luck getting it to hold pressure above 12 cm H²O, I decided to give the spare a try. It had been stored in that zip lock bag for four months so I didn't see the need to clean it. Lo and behold, it was much easier to get a leak free installation (14 cm H²O) with it so I upped the pressure for a further test. It held very well at the top setting (20 cm H²O), even when I pulled slightly on it to loosen the fit. I shut down and loosened the straps to make the mask barely press against my face and tested again at the top setting. It still performed leak free so I decided to use it exclusively.

But wait, there's more! The first night with it went very well and therapy was much more tolerable with much less facial damage than the previous mask was causing. Being well pleased, I washed it with warm soapy (Dawn) water and put it up to dry.

Now the sad part, I put the mask on for the second night and found that it had all the bad characteristics of my first mask and all the good traits it had the previous day were gone completely. It was necessary to tighten the straps back to their original settings to prevent leaks.

I'm guessing the cleaning process removed some of the age induced stiffness and made the mask perform much the same as a new one, which it seems isn't as good as an aged one that has set idle for four months. Go figure. I'm hard pressed to come up with some way to use that information so I'm open to suggestions as to how I might be able to artificially create four months of disuse in twelve hours so that I could have a top performing mask that beats a new Mirage Quattro. Maybe infra-red or ultra-violet exposure would work. I'm thinking it has to do with the surface polymers drying up from long term storage as opposed to bringing more of them to the surface by washing it in warm (not hot by any means) water. I doubt I can fault the Dawn liquid soap, it has a very good reputation for removing grease and oils. Even so, if I had it to do over, I'd use some of the mask wipes I got free when I ordered a mask rather than using Dawn. Unfortunately it may be four months before I get another shot at it.

In case you're thinking I should just try using the mask wipes now and see it that's the answer, you can rest assured that I already did that with no joy (pun there).

The old saw has it that "there's a lot of good reading in an old book" so perhaps that can be modified to there being "a lot of good using in an old mask".
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming that when you stored the mask in the zip lock bag, you stored it somewhere that did not get much light - like in a drawer or box. If that is the case then I would go with infra-red or mild heat. Actually, ultra-violet is reduced drastically by normal window glass, which is why it is difficult to get a tan through a window.

My first guess would have been plasticizer coming out of the surface of the cushions over time but the zip lock bag might prevent that and I do not know how washing the mask would have replaced any of the plasticizer unless it just drew some more back to the surface.

Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth. It would be nice if we could find a way to create whatever situation the mask cushions had when they were performing very well.

It would be interesting to get a set of mask cushions into the condition you describe and use them a number of times without washing them.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2014, 05:39 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It would be interesting to get a set of mask cushions into the condition you describe and use them a number of times without washing them.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Hi Paytona!

Amen, If I manage to pull that off, I'll certainly share it with all.

I can't be sure but based on recalling my first impression when donning the old mask it seemed to be stiffer than my regular one. I remember thinking right away that it wasn't going to work very well due to age induced stiffness. Apparently that was dead wrong and I am left wondering how to regain that stiffness, if that's what was making it work better. As far as I can tell, there was no difference in how the surface of the cushion felt. I did check that for comparison before donning it. The only difference noticed was as I stated, it felt somewhat stiffer. Comparing it now, there is no difference at all, not even in stiffness.

The stiffness seemed to be throughout the entire cushion and not just on the surface. That's the best way I can describe it so that may be some clue as to how to replicate it.

Best regards, Dude

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been known to clean my mask, really. Wink

But to the original question: If you need to ask, "Should I clean it now?" the answer is almost certainly, "Yes."

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2014, 10:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 07:02 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: http://www.airfitf10.com/airfit-f10-instructions.html

near as I can tell, almost *no one* actually (just) follows the instructions.... if we just go with those, no need for conversation Smile usually it's more than just the instructions that is desired. (besides, that told "how" but not "how often")

Thank you so much for your insight DOCTOR NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should write a book on proper mask Care since you seem to NO it all. I was merely pointing out what the manufacturer recommends for that mask. But apparently YOU NO BEST!!! Have a great day Oh-jeez
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2014, 01:35 PM)Mike1953 Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 10:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote:

Thank you so much for your insight DOCTOR NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should write a book on proper mask Care since you seem to NO it all. I was merely pointing out what the manufacturer recommends for that mask. But apparently YOU NO BEST!!! Have a great day Oh-jeez

nope, don't know it all - just enjoy a conversation Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 173 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 352 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,799 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 612 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.