Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning methods and frequency
Cleaning methods and frequency
Hi

I've been getting conflicting recommendations on how often to clean my CPAP mask, and how to clean it. The technician (salesperson) tells me to clean it "occasionally" with hot water and detergent. I've seen people writing that they clean their masks daily, and the tube once a week . Some use  soap and water, others use special cleaning devices made for the purpose. I'm also being bombarded with ads for various cleaning liquids, and wipes to "freshen up" the mask.

I wash the mask and tube almost daily, using hot water and detergent. 

Can someone help me understand what I actually should be doing? 

If I lived in the States I might try all the methods and see what works for me; where I live, not everything is available, and anything that needs to be shipped internationally costs a fortune these days (very few passenger flights, so most stuff is sent via cargo flights, making the shipping much more expensive).

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning methods and frequency
Benzi

No need to wash the mask daily a quick wipe with an unscented baby wipe or similar will be fine. Weekly wash the mask in soapy water. Monthly wash the hose and replace the machine filter.

At least thats what I do
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2020, 07:31 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Benzi

No need to wash the mask daily a quick wipe with an unscented baby wipe or similar will be fine. Weekly wash the mask in soapy water. Monthly wash the hose and replace the machine filter.

At least thats what I do

Thanks. Trouble is, the mask seems to smell if I don't wash it often. Also, since it's a Resmed N30i, the frame of the mask is actually the tube, so wouldn't it need to be washed as often as the nose piece?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most of us follow the cleaning practices that work best for us individually and there are no hard rules. I rarely clean the P10 mask frame and tube and will usually just clean the nasal cushions with dish soap and water. When I feel the need, I will clean the frame and tube and put the headgear in the laundry. I'm pretty much a daily rinse and dry on the humidifier chamber. If you need more frequent cleaning, do what you need to keep the gear fresh. You certainly don't need exotic or imported cleaners. Avoid chlorine bleach or wipes with fragrance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2020, 09:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think most of us follow the cleaning practices that work best for us individually and there are no hard rules.  I rarely clean the P10 mask frame and tube and will usually just clean the nasal cushions with dish soap and water. When I feel the need, I will clean the frame and tube and put the headgear in the laundry.  I'm pretty much a daily rinse and dry on the humidifier chamber.  If you need more frequent cleaning, do what you need to keep the gear fresh. You certainly don't need exotic or imported cleaners. Avoid chlorine bleach or wipes with fragrance.

The technician told me to top up the humidifier every couple of days.... in which case it will never be dry... Are you saying I need to wash and dry it each day, and add the water at night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash the mask with a mild soap/detergent and a good rinse often enough for you to be happy with the 'freshness'. Detergent in the States usually implies something harsher than is needed thust the modifier of 'mild'. Over here a brand named "Dawn" is often used. It is advertized as being used to clean ducks caught in an oil spill and in the home is used to wash dished in the sink. Anything similar is good and as mentioned above no bleach, no chlorine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Benzi,
Don't make it hard on yourself.  

I personally don't like the practice of just adding water every day.  Every morning, I empty the water, turn over on a paper towel and let air dry.  After awhile, you will know how much water you need.  I fill mine halfway and it lasts the night.  Some folk need more if they used a higher humidity setting.

Wash your mask, headgear and hoses as often as you feel comfortable.  Some here will wash once a week to once a month, and some even longer (Which I don't recommend).

Use a mild soap like Dawn Liquid or even Baby Shampoo.  Rinse well and let dry.

More important than the above, is to make it a habit of changing the air filter at least once a month, especially if you have cats or dogs around or live in a dusty environment.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I empty my water reservoir every morning and wipe it dry with a tissue. I leave the top up to let it air dry as well. If I do find some mineral build-up, some vinegar will take care of that in a flash. Just be sure to rinse out the reservoir after you dump the vinegar out. 

I use some wet wipes on my mask and cushion about every three nights or so. The air hose gets cleaned in hot water and some dish soap about every 10 days or so. I have a hose brush that helps as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a nasal pillow, or any rubber that touches your face, should be cleaned every morning. I use CPAP wipes.
I rinse and dry the humidifier chamber every morning. It might sound like a waste of water, but tap water is cheap.
If you never have condensation, I don't think the hose needs cleaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier chamber can easily be colonized by airborne bacteria (pink slime) that is not pathogenic. The best way to avoid it is to allow it to dry between uses. I use tap or filtered water which has worked fine for many years. Some people prefer distilled water, but I find it is unnecessary.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 168 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,789 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 181 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 605 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.