Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning my cpap after exposure to smoke
RE: Cleaning my cpap after exposure to smoke
(02-11-2016, 08:58 PM)archangle Wrote: The SoClean ozone device does NOT treat the blower unit, just the water chamber, hose, and mask. None of the ozone goes into the blower unit.
Thats interesting.
Did you check that yourself or where did you get that info from?
The ozon is feed by the smal hose into the humidifier.
From there it is flowing via the hose to the mask.
The CPAP is not running.
There is no checkvalve between the humidifier and the blower unit.
Why would the ozon flow through the hose only and not thrue the blower unit as well?

Hermann
Post Reply Post Reply
Go look at their own literature.

It's a loop circulation system. Air is sucked in from the chamber that holds mask, and then blown into the humidifier. The air is supposed to flow in a loop. It doesn't suck in outside air, or blow air out into the environment. This is probably both to keep ozone out of the room and to concentrate the ozone by recirculating the ozone.

If it blew air into the blower unit, ozone would come out the back of the blower unit through the air inlet on the back. They make a point of not releasing ozone into the room air. They even have some sort of mechanism to destroy the ozone generated at the end of the cycle.

There's probably a small amount of ozone that goes into the blower unit from diffusion or turbulence, but it doesn't deliberately blow ozone into the blower unit. Or if it does, it has to release ozone into the room, which it's not supposed to do.

(02-13-2016, 08:29 AM)HermannTheGerman Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 08:58 PM)archangle Wrote: The SoClean ozone device does NOT treat the blower unit, just the water chamber, hose, and mask. None of the ozone goes into the blower unit.
Thats interesting.
Did you check that yourself or where did you get that info from?
The ozon is feed by the smal hose into the humidifier.
From there it is flowing via the hose to the mask.
The CPAP is not running.
There is no checkvalve between the humidifier and the blower unit.
Why would the ozon flow through the hose only and not thrue the blower unit as well?

Hermann

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2016, 05:01 PM)archangle Wrote: It's a loop circulation system.

I think I understand. Thank you archangle.

If I got it right,
one could put the cpap into an airtight box with a sealed hole for the cpap hose an lead the ozone into the box.
Circulation loop now includes the blower unit.

Can it work that way?
I am thinking about buying a soclean, but only if I can clean the blower unit as well.
I have been in coma for 4 weeks because of legionella. I am a bit nervous about bakteria in my cpap now.

Hermann
Post Reply Post Reply
There is nothing in the blower compartment that can sustain bacteria. It blows ambient filtered air at a relatively high volume and there is no moisture or surface that would allow organisms to live, multiply or contaminate the air passing through, more than it already is. The humidifier is another story. Good hygiene is necessary to prevent a plaque form forming on the moist surfaces. For the most part, a good rinse and occasional cleaning with soap or detergent is sufficient. I use a dilute sanitizer called Star San, and spray the humidifier chamber and hose to disinfect without leaving any residue or odor. Star San (used in brewing and commercial kitchens to disinfect) is an acid sanitizer that actively kills pathogens and makes surfaces resistant to infection. Lots cheaper and more effective than SoClean.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too was a victim of a craigslist purchase of a Resmed auto-set 10. When I received it , the smoke odor was horrible. I tried cleaning hose exterior all that could be reached from the outside. It was useless. Being mechanically inclined I torn the machine down (taking pics as I went), cleaned all the parts that could be disassembled, soaked every thing in soap and water then white vinegar. Reassembled the machine and had great success. I will still need to replace the tank gasket, hose and mask, but I got lucky. There are companies that will repair machines, but I don't know if they can remove odors. I am also going to try the odor remover that has been discussed to see if I have further success.  Good luck to all if they have this issue. 

ps. If you are going to purchase a machine from anyone other they a reputable company, be SURE to ask if the machine comes from a smoking environment, I know I will !!! Smile 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to ALL !!!
Post Reply Post Reply
hello par301.  I would like to tear down my resmed too.  Could you post your pics?  and any tips? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I just put it back together ! I soaked all (every part I could) in White vinegar and water (2 parts vinegar to 1 part water) for two hours. I then spray all parts with a smoke removal product and washed with warm soap and water afterwards and let air dry. I am now going to place a small dish of smoke removal near the intake and let it run for several hours. I will let you know how well it worked. The only part not accessible to clean was the motor housing which I hope will be cleaned by the intake of the fumes from the smoke removal tray placed by the intake. If it works well enough I will gladly post (take it apart again) pictures for all to see. REMEMBER this is not an easy task and you MUST be mechanically inclined to attempt 
this !!!! I advise taking your own pictures as you go to help in the reassembly of the unit. There are a couple of wire leads that will need to be removed and reattached . Sometimes it is hard to remember these and the unit will not work if you forget.

ps. I cannot and will not be responsible if you attempt this !!!

Sincerely Par301 Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Tubing and the humidifier chamber and gasket are replaceable for minor cost. I would not bother with these used components. Glad you got it done.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Par301   I understand that you can wipe down all of the metal parts if you can get into the crevices to take the smell away.   but plastics absorb the smells into their plasticy substance.  silicone is even worse for absorbing smells.  were you able or could you get replacements for the 2 silicone gaskets that are visible when you remove the humidifier container?  I suspect that the motor has a plastic fan.  Were you able to see the fan?  were there any silicone gaskets that you could see when you disassembled the resmed?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2016, 12:35 PM)HermannTheGerman Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 01:16 AM)Mykidsandi Wrote: I plan to clean the hose tomorriw.  But not sure what to use to really clean it well enough to get it 100% smoke free.
I made a small video some times ago, how I clean my hose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1qr1P_o...e=youtu.be

Hermann

FYI: That video is classified as "private" when I try to look at it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,799 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 612 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 761 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.