Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning of the tubing - how/how often do you do it?
RE: Cleaning of the tubing - how/how often do you do it?
I guess I am really in the minority; I never have cleaned the main hose. I just replaced them once a year. One caveat though, I live in Houston so I only have the humidifier installed in my machine for about 4 months a year. When I remove the humidifier I order a replacement heated hose for the next winter season of use. During the months without the humidifier, I just use the really cheap plain hose and replace it when I move back to using the humidifier.  I have been doing this for over 4 years and nothing weird has crawled out of the hose yet. Both types of hoses are cheap, why bother cleaning them? I know, I am lazy, but I do clean my P10 every morning or at least the pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Next-to-skin items should be washed about once a week.  It's not like underwear, so...…

But, your headgear, just f'rinstance, is going to have facial and hair oils and sebaceous material all over it.  If a pillow case should be replaced every week-ish, shouldn't the headgear be washed as often for the very same reason?

The hose just passes filtered air one way through it.  About the most one should be concerned about is the eventual accumulation of something that manages to get through the filter, and there's lots there if you go looking. If that material is organic, and if the hose never gets quite dry after the ventilation period (RESMED machines vent for several minutes after they are turned off), there's at least an even chance that mold spores will find a place to have a party.  So, I would clean and sterilize my hose at least once every three or four weeks...which is about all I manage.  I use potassium metabisulphite in solution to sterilize the tube and mask.

I wash the mask whenever I think to do it, which now runs about 5-8 days.  Probably not the best...every other day or three should be about the longest stretch.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2019, 08:41 AM)bluesboybob Wrote: I guess I'm in the minority, but I have always considered the tubing to be the most important component to clean frequently. This is because it provides the perfect conditions for bacteria to grow. The humidifier sends moisture into the tubing. Once you turn your machine off there is no air circulation at all. And the inside of the tubing is dark. Dark, moist, stagnant air...perfect conditions for scary stuff to thrive. So I clean my tubing several times a week. It's really very easy to do. In my case, the tubing perfectly fits onto my kitchen faucet so it is simple to flush water through it. I have a spray bottle of a germicidal cleaner I spray into the tubing and let it sit a minute or two, then thoroughly flush it out. Then I hang it over a towel rack in the bathroom that is positioned perfectly over a floor vent so that air blows through it until it is dry. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and the tubing is always clean and fresh. Once a week or so I soak it in warm water with Dawn detergent, along with the mask and humidifier chamber. Years ago when I first started on CPAP I was not very disciplined about cleaning and I ended up with frequent sinus infections. Since I've gotten more serious about the cleaning I've had no problems at all.

Thanks to your post, it made me realize I've been somewhat lax about cleaning the hose as often as it should be. 

So, the hose and most everything else I mentioned previously, is now soaking in hot water and some Dawn dish soap. When I first started SA therapy, I was adamant about cleaning everything frequently. As the months rolled by, it became less of a concern. 

One thing I like very much about keeping the headgear clean, is that when you soak it in hot water, it tightens up the straps. They tend to stretch with months of use. That, and my scalp tends to sweat a bit at times. The hot water and Dawn breaks down the sweat easily enough.

Anyways, I'm now back on track and will remain that way.  Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't remember when I last cleaned my hose. I don't regard the hose as the most likely place for microorganisms to grow. I inspect it weekly and never see anything. I'm not claiming it is free of microorganisms. I know better, but neither is the room air I breath. I do agree that molds could grow if the surface is always damp. Since switching to the heated hose I have never seen any signs of moisture in the hose. There is nothing about darkness that promotes the growth of most microorganisms. Also, most environmental bacteria found in and on our equipment are not scary (at least not too me) because they are not pathogens. I'm not suggesting that anyone not ever clean their hose but think several times a week is unnecessary. The inside surface of the humidifier is the most likely place for molds to grow. I seldom clean it, however. I inspect it daily when I replace the water. I think in a year of use of the same chamber I have seen some small mold colonies once. I removed them with a Q tip, washed the humidifier with Dawn. And treated it with peroxide. I haven't seen anything since.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I clean the hose in my shower.  

I agree the hose takes too long to dry.  Once my insurance paid for a new hose, I started rotating my hoses - when I wash one, I put my other hose on my machine. 

I used to wash my hose once a week... and then once a month... and now maybe once every 4-6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to tighten up on these things myself. I have a heated hose and I never clean it. Just replace it every 9-12 months. I clean my mask every day with a non-alcohol baby wipe. I also never clean the humidifier water chamber or the head gear.

I think I'll get into the habit of cleaning the humidifier water chamber every time I refill it, which is about every 3 days. I don't even replace the water in there daily! Pretty negligent on my part.

In the 5 years I've been on CPAP, I've not had a big problem. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a CPAP hose cleaning brush kit en-route that I bought off EBAY. Both 19 and 22 mm brushes are included in the kit. Got it shipped for $9.00 and it didn't have to come from China.

Once I start using it, I'll feel even better about the hose being clean. I don't mind the CPAP parts cleaning chores, it's just that I tend to forget at times.  

I'm retired and have tons of time on my hands. So I have no excuses.   Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2019, 04:45 AM)Bubba45 Wrote: I need to tighten up on these things myself. I have a heated hose and I never clean it. Just replace it every 9-12 months. I clean my mask every day with a non-alcohol baby wipe. I also never clean the humidifier water chamber or the head gear.

I think I'll get into the habit of cleaning the humidifier water chamber every time I refill it, which is about every 3 days. I don't even replace the water in there daily! Pretty negligent on my part.

In the 5 years I've been on CPAP, I've not had a big problem. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.

For me, I'm concerned the most with the water reservoir. My mask and cushion comes in 2nd place. The water gets emptied every morning like clockwork, and then wiped dry with a tissue. It's left open for a few hours to insure it's completely dry.

My mask and cushion gets wiped down good with a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe at least every other day, but I try for everyday. Same goes for the hose quiet elbow. 

Some might think it's overkill. And, I can see their point. But, it's not a big deal for me to do this, and the peace-of-mind it provides me is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I clean my heated hose every 30 days. The water chamber gets washed weekly. The mask and components are done per manufacturers recommendations.

I'm aiming for clean, not necessarily sterile, hardware.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2019, 11:16 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I use potassium metabisulphite in solution to sterilize the tube and mask.

Hi mesenteria, thanks - do you know what names does potassium metasulfite go commercially? I can't seem to find any cleaning product based on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 185 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 142 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,748 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 326 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 589 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 341 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.