Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning the DreamStation Humidifier, etc.
Cleaning the DreamStation Humidifier, etc.
The manual I received for the DreamStation Auto CPAP suggests that there is a separate manual for the DreamStation humidifier (DSXH) that details how to clean it for use with multiple patients. I cannot locate this manual.

Having said that, I want to know how to clean the water tray, hose and mask for my own use.

Where can I get this information?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning the DreamStation Humidifier, etc.
http://incenter.medical.philips.com/docl...d=11410694

(PDF, 16 pages)
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of us wash the components with warm water and a mild detergent like dawn. Sanitizers are usually not necessary. Personally, I rarely clean the hose but occasional soaking in warm water with detergent will keep it clean. Be sure to hang it to drain and dry. There are brushes available to clean hoses. I use distilled water in the humidifier chamber to avoid hard water deposits. I top it of daily and empty it completely and rinse and refill every week to 10 days. If you use tap water and see hard water deposits they can be removed with vinegar. Some see biofilm in the reservoir which is otfen colored and has a slimey feel. It is growth of environmental bacteria which are usually not pathogenic but should be removed. Washing with mild detergent followed by sanitization with drug store hydrogen peroxide will usually remove and control it. I clean my mask weekly with mild detergent. I clean the cusihon daily to remove skin oils. You will find lots of recommendations on cleaning methods and frequencies if you search the forums.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
6.6 CLEANING THE TUBING
1. Clean the reusable tubing before first use and daily.
2. Disconnect the flexible tubing from the device.
3. For the 15 or 22 mm flexible tubing, gently wash the tubing in a solution of warm water and a mild
detergent.
4. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
5. Inspect the tubing for damage or wear (cracking, crazing, tears, punctures, etc.). Discard and
replace if necessary.

7.2 CLEANING THE WATER TANK
Hand washing can be performed daily. Dishwashing can be performed once a week.
1. Turn the humidifier setting off, turn the therapy device off, and allow the heater plate and water to
cool.
2. Open the humidifier lid with the release lever, and remove the water tank from the humidifier.
3. Wash the water tank in a solution of warm water and a mild liquid dishwashing detergent.
4. Rinse with clean water.
5. Wipe completely on the top and bottom and allow the water tank to air dry.

Use a mild liquid dishwashing detergent only for either hand washing or when using a dishwasher.
Empty and clean the water tank daily to prevent mold and bacteria growth.
6. Inspect the water tank for damage. If the water tank show signs of wear or damage, replace the
tank.
7.3 CLEANING THE HUMIDIFIER BASE
1. Clean the humidifier base and heater plate by wiping it with a damp cloth. Allow the platform to air
dry before reconnecting to the therapy device.
2. Inspect the humidifier base for any damage and replace it if necessary.
3. Clean the humidifier outlet port by using a damp bottle brush or a damp cloth. Insert the brush or
cloth approximately 2.75 inches (7 cm) into the outlet opening while cleaning.

heated tubing before each new user.
7.5.1 CLEANING PRIOR TO DISINFECTION
1. Gently wash the items (tank, seal and heated tubing) using Medizyme, or an equivalent enzymatic
detergent, and a soft bristle brush to adequately remove adhering substances.
• Pay close attention to all corners and crevices.
• A brush is not necessary for the inside of the tube of the
heated tubing.
2. Rinse the items separately by immersing each in at least 3 gallons (11.4 liters) of water and agitate
vigorously.
The tank, seal and heated tubing should each use a fresh 3 gallons (11.4 liters) of water and cannot be rinsed together.
3. Remove each item from the water and allow the water to drain from tank, seal and heated tubing.
4. Air dry out of direct sunlight.
5. Visually inspect the tank, seal and heated tubing for cleanliness. Repeat the cleaning if not visually
clean.
CAUTION
Only the hospital and institution cleaning and disinfection procedures listed in this manual
are recommended by Respironics. Use of other cleaning and disinfecting processes, not
specified by Respironics, may affect the performance of the product.
NOTES
• Pay close attention to all corners and crevices.
• A brush is not necessary for the inside of the tube of the
heated tubing.
NOTES
The tank, seal and heated tubing should each use a fresh 3
gallons (11.4 liters) of water and cannot be rinsed together.
1117539, VER. 07 PAGE 7-23
7.5.2 DISINFECTION
The recommended disinfection methods are identified below.
• Thermal Disinfection: Immersion in a (tap) water bath at 75° C ± 2° C for 30 minutes
• Cidex
• Cidex OPA

• Follow all instructions from the manufacturer of the treatment products. Any deviation from
these instructions, the manufacturer’s instructions, or agents not listed in this guide may
impact the performance of the product. Review all applicable instructions for additional
warnings and cautions.A brush is not necessary for the inside of the tube of the heated
tubing.
• Treat the tank, seal and heated tubing as different medical devices when rinsing them with
water. For example, the tank, seal and heated tubing cannot be rinsed in the same volume
of water.
• Use 3 gallons (11.4 liters) as the rinse volume when following the instructions.
7.5.3 AFTER DISINFECTION
1. Inspect the tank, seal and heated tubing for damage or wear (cracking, crazing, tears, or damage,
etc.). Discard and replace if damaged.
2. After the final water rinse described in the chemical disinfection instructions, separately rinse the
tank, seal and heated tubing a minimum of 1 time each in at least 3 gallons (11.4 liters) of water
and air dry out of direct sunlight.

This was the hospital grade version.  I don't the instructions for the mask in your multi-user clinical environment.  This is over kill for the home user.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to thank each and all of you for your replies. It was a very helpful experience for a first-time post. I got the information I needed.

d2bd2b
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always good to see people looking in the equipment manuals for the cleaning instructions, rather than having a brainstorm and deciding that using various bizarre concoctions would be a good idea ... chlorine bleach, abrasives, henbane & eye of newt, etc. I'm just waiting for someone to try bleach and ammonia together and report on the results.

The cleaning recommended by the mfr for home use (as opposed to clinical use where the equipment is shared among patients) is often very simple and doesn't take a lot of time. I have to shake my head at some of the discussions here over the years about how to do it. A new edition of "Hints from Heloise" is what it all amounts to. But less useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2019, 10:43 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:  I'm just waiting for someone to try bleach and ammonia together and report on the results.  DO NOT DO THIS!!!
  What an aweful idea to even put this in print.  On the surface, you are mixing two good cleaning agents you should double your cleaning ability.  WRONG, you will generate CHLORINE GAS which is lethal.

for this reason would a mod please delete both this and Fats previous post.  I know he did not intend malice.  I just don't want anyone to even think this is remotely good.  (A good edit would be sufficient.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most people know better than to mix ammonia based cleaners with chlorine. My chemistry background is nagging me Fred's reaction summary is a lot like calling gasoline "gas". The household versions are dilute aqueous sodium hypochlorite NaOCl 4% (bleach) and ammonium hydroxide 10%. The reaction of these two form a couple species of chloramines (NH2Cl, NHCl2 or NCl3), which is a respiratory irritant and potentially toxic in confined areas. Chloramines are used by water supply companies for disinfection and is useuful in the right hands and applications. For households, it's nasty stuff and you don't want to inhale the fumes. Chlorine gas when inhaled combines with moisture in the lungs and forms hydrochloric acid. There are ways to get free chlorine from bleach, but mixing with ammonium cleanser is not one of them.

Edit: Amusing facts...if someone pees in a chlorine disinfected pool, they create chloramines which must be oxidized by more chlorine to remove from the water. It is the chloramines in pools that irritate your eyes and give swimming pool water a funky smell. Just thought you should know.

I'll go sit in the corner and not bother anyone with further chemistry lectures today, and resume my cleaning routine with Star San.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excuse me SR, I'm still reeling from a user here that didn't understand the difference between "S" mode and "Auto" mode in what I thought were very explicit instructions from both of us.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2019, 11:59 AM)bonjour Wrote: Excuse me SR, I'm still reeling from a user here that didn't understand the difference between "S" mode and "Auto" mode in what I thought were very explicit instructions from both of us.

Fred

I see your point. You can never tell how advise here could be twisted in dangerous ways.

As always Fred, I'll go tip one in your honor at O-beer-thirty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.