Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide
Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide
A while back someone posted a great protocol for cleaning their mask and tube with hydrogen peroxide and water.  I searched some threads but couldn't find it.  I'm hoping that person can post it again here in this dedicated thread, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide
(09-04-2018, 03:48 PM)MrZennie Wrote: A while back someone posted a great protocol for cleaning their mask and tube with hydrogen peroxide and water.  I searched some threads but couldn't find it.  I'm hoping that person can post it again here in this dedicated thread, thanks!

Are you sure it wasn't hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar? This combination (sprayed from separate bottles) makes a very powerful disinfectant. But over-kill IMO as soap and water is fine.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrogen Peroxide is very caustic and I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning your mask or even your wounds (see latest medical literature.) All you need is dish soap and water to keep your equipment clean. Nothing else is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrogen peroxide is only effective for elimination of pathogens if used over the course of several days. Very effective if you have green but not brown algae in your hose (ask me how that happens!), but you have to use it over several days. So, not really effective and certainly doesn't clean anything except blood.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I just have to ask.  How DOES one get green algae in their hose?   Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Mix Yellow and Blue Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrogen peroxide as purchased from the store is about 3-4% concentration. Its foaming action, in addition to being an oxidizer makes it a safe and effective cleaning agent. I use this about once per month in the humidifier chamber, and it cleans places I can't physically reach with other means. By pouring in 1/2 cup and agitating, and brushing, then leaving the solution for a few hours and agitating before rinsing, I get a shiny, spotless result. I don't do microbial swabs, but I would put this method up against most other approaches as being effective and safe.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
...and, as with a solution of sodium or potassium metabisulphite, you don't need a pint of it.  A couple of tablespoons, slosh it around well, let sit, repeat the sloshing, let sit, and then empty and rinse three times or more.  I would think that once a week is lots.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dish soap and water is good enough to get all of those food scraps off your plate, knife, and spoon and keep you from getting Diareahea.  You trust that product enough to put a spoon into your mouth so why not trust t in your cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2018, 05:17 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Mix Yellow and Blue   Big Grin

Graphic designers would be proud. Big Grin
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 608 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 759 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.