Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide
RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide
(02-23-2019, 02:59 PM)Snoring Bear Wrote: The therapist had told us to empty the water container every morning, let it dry and refill to the first line each night (Resmed 10 Autoset).

Yes, that's exactly whatcha gotta do. Your RT in that case was correct. (A stopped clock is right twice a day.)

Instructions for all of this stuff are in the user's guide provided by the manufacturer of the device or component in question: machine, humidifier, mask, hose. Anything that is not mentioned in those instructions (for instance, essential oils, bleach, hair spray, eye of newt, wing of bat) should not be used unless you're certain that it's harmless, like hydrogen peroxide.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do change the water everyday  Let me tell you that I find it is expensive. But I am afraid of what germs I could inhale if I don't do it. So I think I will go on with my organic dish soap as they say it is very soft even for the hands.

Thank you for your answer. I am at a loss with all there is to know about the therapy .. 
Sabee
Post Reply Post Reply
If you remember to dump the water every day, and let the container dry, it is very unlikely any biological organism could establish a colony (biofilm) or that the evaporation could create mineral deposits. It is only by continuous wetness or evaporation without a change of water that either of those things can happen. No contamination means no need for higher levels of cleaning or disinfection. It is when you neglect to do the prevention that detergents, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, etc come into play.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2019, 04:21 PM)Sabee Wrote: I do change the water everyday  Let me tell you that I find it is expensive. But I am afraid of what germs I could inhale if I don't do it. 

Many people here use tap water instead of distilled water, and they say it works fine. There will eventually be some lime (calcium) buildup in the humidifier tank from the water, just as on shower walls, but that's harmless and it can be removed with diluted vinegar. Just don't use any abrasive scrubber when cleaning the plastic; use a soft cloth only.

Emptying and drying the tank every morning (after letting the humidifier heater cool down for a few minutes) will reduce the lime buildup, and another reason for doing that is to prevent mold forming. When it does form, that can be even worse than bacterial buildup, causing various respiratory problems, etc. ... again similar to bathtub and shower surfaces.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2019, 05:22 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 04:21 PM)Sabee Wrote: I do change the water everyday  Let me tell you that I find it is expensive. But I am afraid of what germs I could inhale if I don't do it. 

Many people here use tap water instead of distilled water, and they say it works fine.  There will eventually be some lime (calcium) buildup in the humidifier tank from the water, just as on shower walls, but that's harmless and it can be removed with diluted vinegar.  Just don't use any abrasive scrubber when cleaning the plastic; use a soft cloth only.

Emptying and drying the tank every morning (after letting the humidifier heater cool down for a few minutes) will reduce the lime buildup, and another reason for doing that is to prevent mold forming.  When it does form, that can be even worse than bacterial buildup, causing various respiratory problems, etc. ... again similar to bathtub and shower surfaces.

Thanks for the additional info on the humidifier tub.   Two additional questions:

1.  What happens if the humidifier runs completely out of water before you wake up... anything bad?

2. You mentioned letting the humidifier warmer cool down for a few minutes before emptying the excess water.  I guess that just means a few minutes after turning the machine off?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, the A10's designers didn't include a water-level sensor triggering an automatic heater shutoff. So with the A10, at least, it's not good to run out of water while the heater is switched on in the settings ("Humidity Level"), because you could get a slightly scorched humidifier tank bottom. I've never seen anything (here or elsewhere) saying that it's hazardous, but people have reported a bad smell from the scorching. I see at least two threads about that:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t-of-water

and

But don't fill the tank past the "MAX" line.

About the cooldown, yes, just a few minutes after stopping the machine should do it, so you don't burn your fingers on the plate on the bottom of the tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have run out of water (my wife and I), either because we forget to fill or refill. Over time, any hard water (calcium) can build up if the tap water we use fully evaporates. It is easily dissolved with vinegar, and I have also used Lime-A-Way which is more aggressive. Either should be rinsed and is no problem and leaves no residue or damage. The humidifier chambers are considered consumables, and insurance replaces them on a 6 month interval. I would suggest not going longer than 2-years because they eventually leak.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2019, 05:44 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Unfortunately, the A10's designers didn't include a water-level sensor triggering an automatic heater shutoff.  So with the A10, at least, it's not good to run out of water while the heater is switched on in the settings ("Humidity Level"), because you could get a slightly scorched humidifier tank bottom.  I've never seen anything (here or elsewhere) saying that it's hazardous, but people have reported a bad smell from the scorching.  I see at least two threads about that:

and

But don't fill the tank past the "MAX" line.

About the cooldown, yes, just a few minutes after stopping the machine should do it, so you don't burn your fingers on the plate on the bottom of the tank.

Thanks FD!  After reading through the two threads you provided, I'm glad I raised the question.  - I'll be careful to not run out of water.  I've started setting humidifier to #4, but think I'll try #3 tonight. I've only had this unit for about four days... Lots to learn. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I quit using distilled water in the reservoir a few months ago. Been using tap water ever since. I empty the reservoir every morning w/o fail. I wipe it dry with tissue and then allow it a couple of hours to air dry further. Once a week or so, I'll use a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe on it The ones I use do not have any bleach in them. 

No signs what-so-ever of any problems or issues. It still looks as clean and shiny as the 1st night I used it.

In regards to the reservoir running out of water, that's never happened to me as of yet. I've got a pretty good feel now as to how much it will use in a night on my particular humidity setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2019, 08:24 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I quit using distilled water in the reservoir a few months ago. Been using tap water ever since. I empty the reservoir every morning w/o fail. I wipe it dry with tissue and then allow it a couple of hours to air dry further. Once a week or so, I'll use a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe on it The ones I use do not have any bleach in them. 

No signs what-so-ever of any problems or issues. It still looks as clean and shiny as the 1st night I used it.

In regards to the reservoir running out of water, that's never happened to me as of yet. I've got a pretty good feel now as to how much it will use in a night on my particular humidity setting.
It sounds like you have things perfectly under control.  Do you boil your tap water?  I've heard of people doing that in lieu of using distilled water. I'm not sure of the difference in doing so.

After I rinse my humidifier tub with hot water in the morning, I just turn it upside down and let it air dry... so far so good!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 610 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 760 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.