Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Sex: Male

RE: Cleaning?
I just now changed headgear for the first time. The headgear I got rid of was over six months old. I'm kinda "frugal" so I tried everything to shrink it back down and used it longer than I should have. I put the new headgear on and couldn't believe the difference it made in easily maintaining a good mask seal.

I won't wait as long to change to new headgear this time. When you look at the price, headgear really isn't as expensive as most of the other stuff. I've pretty much decided that I'll use mask frames, hoses and humidifier water chambers as long as I possibly can; but, it just doesn't seem to be worth it to try to squeeze too much use out of filters, mask cushions and headgear.
03-13-2013 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

(11-21-2012 01:54 PM)BobF Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 08:10 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  I clean everything in hot soapy water once a week.

I recently got a hose brush which works nicely.

Hi. Where did you get the hose brush and how does it work? Will it work with a 10' hose? Bob.

10' hose? No problem!
I use a gun cleaning cable and pull those anti-bacterial wipes through it. I let it sit for about 15 min and then fill half way with distilled water and agitate briskly. Then I connect it to my hose dryer I made from a Coleman mattress inflater for about 15 minutes.

Done!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
03-14-2013 06:08 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Still haven't changed gear or hose, and it is now 9 months, no problem. Cleaning? Hot water and dish soap. Tube is soaked in and out for around ten minutes, then hung to dry for a while before using a hair dryer to get the inside nice and dry. If the hair dryer is not available, I just hook it up to CPAP, turn of the auto off and remove the card, then let the CPAP run for 20 minutes, and viola, dry as a bone (same for the nose piece). Took some bac swabs of before and after and had the lab run them - clean and cleaner.

Small trick in the morning - if you do turn auto off to off permanently, then after you take off the mask in the morning and hang it up, leaving the machine running, it will dry the hose and mask as well, in about four minutes, reducing bacterial growth factors. Best if your tank is empty for that....
03-14-2013 08:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(03-13-2013 10:29 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote:  I just now changed headgear for the first time. The headgear I got rid of was over six months old.

I don't know how long on average I keep headgear. Unfortunately Velcro and I don't get along very well and that stuff wears out quickly.
03-14-2013 09:32 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I was just in the Sleep Clinic at the Unispital in Zurich, and discussed the cleaning of headgear amongst other things. The consensus from the technicians who must ensure the cleanliness of the gear for patients is that dish soap is usually sufficient for home needs. The main hose rarely needs to be replaced and only seriously needs to be washed out once every few months at most, so long as you keep your water tank clean. The connecting hose should be left on the nose piece (I use a nasal pillow) and either chuck the whole thing in the dish washer or clean with hot water and dish soap. Outside of that, give the nasal insert or mask a regular wipe with either water and dish soap or a disinfectant that won't damage the silicon and clean it off. That's all you need to do - you rarely need to be more vigilant than that.

As for all the attachments for the headgear, it doesn't need to be cleaned all that often, and can be tossed, intact, with the Velcro on, etc, in the cloths washer for a quick clean - just spin it well and make sure it is dry.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 01:18 PM by DocWils.)
03-14-2013 01:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cleaning Dream wear mask Judy1843 3 124 Yesterday 07:13 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,174 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 345 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP cleaning system Tommy C 97 62,391 10-20-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,086 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Question about cleaning/drying air tube RB73 16 1,037 09-25-2016 02:46 PM
Last Post: hegel
  Cleaning Humidifier Resmed autosense s10 chuck6161 5 797 07-22-2016 06:23 PM
Last Post: foss