Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning?
RE: Cleaning?
I just now changed headgear for the first time. The headgear I got rid of was over six months old. I'm kinda "frugal" so I tried everything to shrink it back down and used it longer than I should have. I put the new headgear on and couldn't believe the difference it made in easily maintaining a good mask seal.

I won't wait as long to change to new headgear this time. When you look at the price, headgear really isn't as expensive as most of the other stuff. I've pretty much decided that I'll use mask frames, hoses and humidifier water chambers as long as I possibly can; but, it just doesn't seem to be worth it to try to squeeze too much use out of filters, mask cushions and headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2012, 01:54 PM)BobF Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 08:10 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I clean everything in hot soapy water once a week.

I recently got a hose brush which works nicely.

Hi. Where did you get the hose brush and how does it work? Will it work with a 10' hose? Bob.

10' hose? No problem!
I use a gun cleaning cable and pull those anti-bacterial wipes through it. I let it sit for about 15 min and then fill half way with distilled water and agitate briskly. Then I connect it to my hose dryer I made from a Coleman mattress inflater for about 15 minutes.

Done!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Still haven't changed gear or hose, and it is now 9 months, no problem. Cleaning? Hot water and dish soap. Tube is soaked in and out for around ten minutes, then hung to dry for a while before using a hair dryer to get the inside nice and dry. If the hair dryer is not available, I just hook it up to CPAP, turn of the auto off and remove the card, then let the CPAP run for 20 minutes, and viola, dry as a bone (same for the nose piece). Took some bac swabs of before and after and had the lab run them - clean and cleaner.

Small trick in the morning - if you do turn auto off to off permanently, then after you take off the mask in the morning and hang it up, leaving the machine running, it will dry the hose and mask as well, in about four minutes, reducing bacterial growth factors. Best if your tank is empty for that....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 10:29 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I just now changed headgear for the first time. The headgear I got rid of was over six months old.

I don't know how long on average I keep headgear. Unfortunately Velcro and I don't get along very well and that stuff wears out quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just in the Sleep Clinic at the Unispital in Zurich, and discussed the cleaning of headgear amongst other things. The consensus from the technicians who must ensure the cleanliness of the gear for patients is that dish soap is usually sufficient for home needs. The main hose rarely needs to be replaced and only seriously needs to be washed out once every few months at most, so long as you keep your water tank clean. The connecting hose should be left on the nose piece (I use a nasal pillow) and either chuck the whole thing in the dish washer or clean with hot water and dish soap. Outside of that, give the nasal insert or mask a regular wipe with either water and dish soap or a disinfectant that won't damage the silicon and clean it off. That's all you need to do - you rarely need to be more vigilant than that.

As for all the attachments for the headgear, it doesn't need to be cleaned all that often, and can be tossed, intact, with the Velcro on, etc, in the cloths washer for a quick clean - just spin it well and make sure it is dry.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,745 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 148 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 227 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,888 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 204 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 403 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 646 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.