Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear Airway (CA) on SH and CA (Central Apnea) on Dreammapper
Clear Airway (CA) on SH and CA (Central Apnea) on Dreammapper
Are Clear Airway and Central Apneas different titles for the same thing? The figure is the same in both SH and DM. If CA in SH is the same, how can you determine how long each episode is?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear Airway (CA) on SH and CA (Central Apnea) on Dreammapper
(11-11-2015, 08:03 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Are Clear Airway and Central Apneas different titles for the same thing? The figure is the same in both SH and DM. If CA in SH is the same, how can you determine how long each episode is?

On the left side menu, under the calendar where is says detail, click on clear airway and a drop down menu appears with the events listed. The number in parentheses is the length of time the apnea lasted.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 08:03 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Are Clear Airway and Central Apneas different titles for the same thing?

Clear Airway could or could not be the same thing as a Central Apnea. A Central Apnea in layman's terms is defined as an open airway without the effort to breath. It's your brain failing to signal your body to breath. The reason for the 'could or could not' is because the CPAP machine cannot determine if you are making an effort to breath. There are algorithms machines use to guess but it is just that - a guess.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 08:47 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(11-11-2015, 08:03 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Are Clear Airway and Central Apneas different titles for the same thing?

Clear Airway could or could not be the same thing as a Central Apnea. A Central Apnea in layman's terms is defined as an open airway without the effort to breath. It's your brain failing to signal your body to breath. The reason for the 'could or could not' is because the CPAP machine cannot determine if you are making an effort to breath. There are algorithms machines use to guess but it is just that - a guess.

Thank you OpalRose and AlanE. DreamMapper does list them as centrals. I've been reading this forum on all the CA threads I can find trying to gain more knowledge. I have more CA's than OA's, many hypopneas and lots of RERA's--I wonder if I am getting any good sleep! AHI last night was 2.8--I've bren under 2.0 for the past two weeks and below 1.0 several times--that was a high one for me, but only 2 OA's.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 09:06 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Thank you OpalRose and AlanE. DreamMapper does list them as centrals. I've been reading this forum on all the CA threads I can find trying to gain more knowledge. I have more CA's than OA's, many hypopneas and lots of RERA's--I wonder if I am getting any good sleep! AHI last night was 2.8--I've bren under 2.0 for the past two weeks and below 1.0 several times--that was a high one for me, but only 2 OA's.

Well your AHI levels are low enough that they are technically considered "treated". AHI isn't everything, though. When I started APAP treatment my AHI's were very low, but I was feeling like I was still going down hill.

An overnight oxymetry showed that even with APAP treatment my oxygen levels were going quite low for much of the night. When they put me on supplemental oxygen at night, that's when I started getting and feeling better.

How are you feeling? I you feel better and your AHI's are below 5 then it will just be a matter of your body getting used to the higher pressures. If you are feeling worse then there might be something more than your apnea that has to be treated.

CA events are quite common in early stages of therapy. They often get better after a month or so.

So don't panic, but nevertheless be wary. How you *feel* is extremely important.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 06:00 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(11-11-2015, 09:06 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Thank you OpalRose and AlanE. DreamMapper does list them as centrals. I've been reading this forum on all the CA threads I can find trying to gain more knowledge. I have more CA's than OA's, many hypopneas and lots of RERA's--I wonder if I am getting any good sleep! AHI last night was 2.8--I've been under 2.0 for the past two weeks and below 1.0 several times--that was a high one for me, but only 2 OA's.

Well your AHI levels are low enough that they are technically considered "treated". AHI isn't everything, though. When I started APAP treatment my AHI's were very low, but I was feeling like I was still going down hill.

An overnight oxymetry showed that even with APAP treatment my oxygen levels were going quite low for much of the night. When they put me on supplemental oxygen at night, that's when I started getting and feeling better.

How are you feeling? I you feel better and your AHI's are below 5 then it will just be a matter of your body getting used to the higher pressures. If you are feeling worse then there might be something more than your apnea that has to be treated.

CA events are quite common in early stages of therapy. They often get better after a month or so.

So don't panic, but nevertheless be wary. How you *feel* is extremely important.

Thanks, Ed. I have two known heart problems--left branch bundle block and proximal supra-ventricular tachycardia. My CA's and Cheyne-Stokes respiration are of a little concern--trying to get my facts together to ask pointed questions of my sleep and cardio doctors. I am a little worried about my oxygen level--I know my heart rate is in the 40's at times at night (have had several sessions with Holter monitors). I feel some better since starting CPAP, but some mornings I'm a little foggy. At least I can stay awake all day--most of the time!
Post Reply Post Reply
No CPAP machine can truly detect a central apnea. Whether they call them clear airway apneas or central apneas, they're talking about the same thing. The flow rate meter determines that you're not breathing, and pressure pulses determine if the airway is clear. The algorithms used in auto-adjusting machines do not respond to them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
to thosw that too the time to respond, Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to clarify a little more. Technically a central apnea is a cessation of breathing for more than 10 seconds with no effort to breathe.
The PAP machine detects a 10 second or greater cessation of breathing with an open airway. I think that it is a pretty good bet that if you are not breathing and your airway is open it is because your brain has sent no signal to breathe and if there was an effort to breathe and the airway was open you would most probably breathe. We try to be technically correct but the 2 terms are often used interchangeably.

If I have just muddied the water some more I apologize. Maybe I am catching the disease from SuperSleeper.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips DreamMapper - old machine only? p123 6 757 11-19-2023, 04:58 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P SleepStyle - Clear Airway/CentralApnea LookingForACleverHandle 6 781 08-03-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Beach Junky
  How to clear Z1 travel cpap faults? Motorheadrulz 2 2,027 08-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  DreamMapper - Data not transferring from Dream2 gonzalo 1 711 08-01-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: MrMister
  Dreamstation 2 software (Dreammapper) EricDK 9 1,738 05-15-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  DreamStation 2 constantly requiring pairing [with DreamMapper] OldNavyGuy 10 5,916 12-23-2022, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Katman
  Dreammapper Android App won't connect BeachGuy71 4 1,177 09-14-2022, 09:34 AM
Last Post: BeachGuy71

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.