Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear Airway Events
Clear Airway Events
Hi Everyone,

I have moderate sleep apnea and always wake up fatigued and unrested. My concentration is poor and it's hard to think at times because I am so exhausted.

I've been on CPAP for about 30 days and even sleeping 7-8 hours with it, I still wake up feeling super tired & fatigued. My doctor said CPAP is working and I showed no central sleep apnea during my sleep study, only obstructive. I see these clear airway events, does that mean I might have central sleep apnea?

ResMes Airsense 10
- CPAP 8
- EPR 3
- Pressure relief on
- No Ramp
- Mouth taped shut
- Humidty/heated line on

What machine adjustments should I make to help me feel more rested?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear Airway Events
It would really help to see the full night, but based on what I see here, you should be in Autoset mode not fixed pressure CPAP. This would address the obstructive element of your sleep disordered breathing. Without seeing the full night, it's hard to say if there is any positional element to this, and using a variable pressure would help us to see if there is a relationship to pressure and events. Try minimum 8.0, maximum 12.0, EPR 3 and let's see where that puts you. It may increase centrals, but no way to know without seeing it. Leaks appear chronically high, so I suspect that might be an issue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input, I will try that tonight.

Last night was not great, the mask was on and off a few times and the machine may have been running while it was off my face for some reason.

Thursday (below) IIRC my mask was on for the full duration. Maybe this will paint a better picture, I had it set at CPAP 8.8 (EPR 3/Pressure relief off) this night.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think the variable pressure may help. I guess we will know tomorrow. Please minimize the monthly calendar.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please see below. Correction, I actually had EPR off on Thursday to see if that made me feel better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's another screen shot from Tuesday.

I tried 9.8 this night, on paper everything looks good but felt like crap when I woke up. My events are mostly all CA.

- 12 CA
- 1 H
- 3 OA

Post Reply Post Reply
Your last chart at 9.8 fixed pressure with EPR 3 looks better than without EPR and fixed pressure at 8.8. I'd like you to try these settings:

Mode: Autoset
Minimum pressure: 7.0
Maximum pressure 9.0
EPR: Full-time, Setting 2
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, I really appreciate your help.

I tried the other settings you mentioned last night:
  • Mode: Autoset
  • Minimum pressure: 8.0
  • Maximum pressure: 12.0
  • EPR: Full-time, Setting: 3
  • Mouth taped with Cover-Roll stretch 
And... I feel pretty good this morning. Not 100% but much better than normal. My eye lids are fully open and light, they usually feel heavy and are 20% closed when I wake up. I'd say I feel pretty dang good for only ~6 hours of continuous use. I struggled to fall asleep for the first hour (most likely not CPAP related) so I excluded that from the screen shots.

Please see screen shots below. Any thoughts on this?

When I woke up my jaw was slacked and cheeks were puffed out like a blow fish (tape held it shut). Should I use a chinstrap or soft collar too?

Should I still try these settings tonight given the new info in the screen shots?
  • Minimum pressure: 7.0
  • Maximum pressure: 9.0
  • EPR: Full-time, Setting: 2

Post Reply Post Reply

• Minimum pressure: 7.0

• Maximum pressure: 10.0

• EPR: Full-time, Setting: 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good. It's up to you if you would like to use a higher maximum pressure. Looking a this last chart I think EPR 2 pretty much eliminates the CA events. It seems like you would be better with 8.0 minimum and 11.0 maximum. Hopefully still comfortable. As expected there is an increase in flow limit with EPR 2 vs 3
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 339 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 119 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 235 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.