Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear Airway Events
RE: Clear Airway Events
Agreed, I am going to try 8-11 tonight.

Again I woke up once or twice with my jaw slacked and cheeks puffed out like a blow fish (tape held it shut).

Should I try a chinstrap or soft collar? Or stay course and see how things progress for a couple weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
CA events are gone now.

Looks like it's mostly hypopnea now. 

My mouth tape gave way and I woke up with a leak out of my mouth around ~5:30am, maybe that's why there was so many hypopneas?

I feel better than normal today, but not as good as the last two days.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
As you adapt to the therapy, it's fine to bring back more EPR to see if you have just moved beyond it. I'd like you to include flow limits in your charts so we can see what is going on. I suspect you had a pretty good increase in FL between 3:20 and 3:50. The pattern of low flow limits through much of the night with periodic or occasional significant increase is typical of a positional issue that restricts airflow. Just be aware you may be chin-tucking during these periods. It's not worth wearing a collar for this, but see what you can do to avoid it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the help.

Please see flow limit chart below.

Post Reply Post Reply
See that? i knew about the flow limits without even seeing them. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice catch! thanks. I agree, I think there is a positional component.

Two more things:

1. My jaw is slacking and my mouth tape isn't holding, so I am waking up with air leaking out of my mouth.  I think it might be worthwhile to try a chin strap or soft collar to keep my jaw from lowering, thoughts?
  2. It seems I consistently wake up at the 54 min-60 min mark in a mild panic and rip off my mask, any thoughts on this? Maybe I am entering a deeper sleep and have a big apnea event? Maybe 02 levels are really dropping?

Appreciate all your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
A soft collar often provides enough pressure on the jaw to keep your mouth closed. I don't like chin straps because the tend to pull back, making apnea worse. It's kind of like a reverse mandibular advancement and this can make "positional" apnea worse. If you can find a strap or device that pulls up, not back, it's fine.

If you zoom in on your flow rate to where you can visualize the individual waves, you will see the flow limitation as flattened or downward sloping tops on the inspiration wave. I can see the top of your flow rate looks chopped off like a cut lawn compared to the shaggy expiration waves. That tells me you have a substantial flow limit, even at times that it is not being marked on the graph. While you're looking at the zoomed chart, take a look at the moments before you awaken in a panic. Your chart shows a steadily declining tidal volume approaching that arousal, so it's plausible you were just under-ventilated and had a shot of adrenaline. I think we need to increase minimum pressure to 9.0 to help with that restriction, and it might also help to increase EPR to 3, but keep a close eye on CA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will try 9.0-11.0 and EPR 3 tonight and report back.

If CA's go up significantly I will drop back down to EPR 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I used a double sided mouth guard to help keep my jaw from dropping, but it felt like I didn't sleep very well even though my AHI looks really good. I was tossing & turning. I only got about 4 hours on the machine and ended up ripping it off and sleeping 2 more hours.

I think I will leave the settings as is tonight and try the soft collar if it arrives today.

Post Reply Post Reply
We can see some issues between 00:45 and 01:30 that would cause sleep disruption. Overall, the period of unstable respiration, flow limitation and leaks was improved considerably from previous charts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 345 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,396 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 235 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.