Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway (central) apnea and alcohol
Clear airway (central) apnea and alcohol
My CPAP machine is showing variable rates of clear airway apneas, varying over a number of nights.
Interestingly, the rate is much higher after having an Alcohol Free Day! After a couple of standard drinks before dinner, it is usually below 5.0 (and often 1.0 to 2.0), but after an AFD, it is usually above 10 and sometimes over 20.
Can I get a Rx for a good Scotch? Smile
Is anyone aware of this "problem"?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear airway (central) apnea and alcohol
Strange. I'm no expert so hopefully some one who is will voice their opinion. I was told that alcohol can increase the number of AHIs because it relaxes the muscles even more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alcohol is a sedative, and sedatives make obstructive apnea worse.

But this is a case of alcohol lowering the number of central apneas.

I suspect that this effect will subside with time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could also be that other factors that happen on AFDs are contributing. Like stress levels would be higher, etc. If you had a good day and went out drinking with friends, you'd have less stress and sleep better. But if an AFD happens during the middle of the week with a lot of stress, then your sleep would be off.

Interesting hypothesis.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The CAs are probably from hyperventilation caused by increased pressure. Alcohol suppresses resperation which in turn could make it less likely that you will hyperventilate. This is just a guess as to what may be happening.

Hyperventilation should go away on its own in time with acclimation to pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 566 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.