Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What type of mask is this?
What type of mask is this?
[Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm a new user and I'm finding the terminology a bit confusing. I'm finding the whole thing confusing and overwhelming honestly but that's another post. Anyways this is what I've got:

Package calls it a "under the nose nasal mask" but I think I've seen it referred to as a nasal pillow elsewhere. But I've also seen the kind with the 2 little prongs that go into your nostrils called a nasal pillow:

But on the wiki for this site that one is referred as a "prong type" I believe? I'm all confused.

Anyways....what am I using here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What type of mask is this?
The top pic is a Phillips Dreamwear nasal cushion, the bottom is a nasal pillow.

The Dreamwear nasal pillow will also fit in the frame of the top pic.

Welcome to AB.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask you're using is technically considered a nasal mask. It's similar to the ResMed N30i nasal hybrid mask I use. 
It's a hybrid in that compared to the traditional nasal mask, it doesn't cover your nose, but rather sits just under it like a cradle. 

The bottom pic with the prongs is considered a nasal pillows mask.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that confuses me is that the replaceable part that fits up against your nose in the mask in the first photo is called a nasal cushion, whereas the replaceable part with prongs is called a nasal pillow.  As if pillows were somehow prongier than cushions!   Too-funny   

Mnemonically, I guess one can use the P in pillow and prongs to remember which is which. 

(Technically a nasal prong mask is yet another type that fits deeper into the nose, but I think those are rare.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Even the people that sale these mask components get the terminology wrong along with there pictures. You should always know part numbers and only buy accordingly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2023, 05:04 PM)Nightynite Wrote: Even the people that sale these mask components get the terminology wrong along with there pictures. You should always know part numbers and only buy accordingly.

You're certainly right about the terminolgy being confusing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 253 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 514 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 418 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,100 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 309 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 452 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question What type of mask should I select on my device? hejohoo 5 589 08-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.