Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway events after waking and going back to sleep
RE: Clear airway events after waking and going back to sleep
(11-01-2019, 01:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: Flex should work nut never does.  I can manipulate a ResMed into providing 2 cmw worth of pressure support but cannot.  BiLevel in the next level of machine above the APAP and allows a significant difference between inhale and exhale pressures called Pressure Support.  This is effective for treating Hypopneas, Flow, Limitations, RERAs, and snores, and is also useful for treating UARS.  

The first step is to increase pressure to see if you need to, or not get a more capable machine.

RERAs are always bad because by definition they all end in arousal, one of the big things we try to avoid or eliminate.
thanks.  I understand.  Does OSCAR show a graph on the daily view?  I see it on the overview view, but not on the event daily charts.

Meant the say, does OSCAR show RERA's on the daily charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 01:20 PM)bonjour Wrote: The irregularity of the flow rate tends to say that you were likely awake for the bulk of your central apneas.
That's not what caught my eye.
RERAs, which mean Flow Limitations far in excess of the FL events reported, RERAs being significant because they are a series of Flow Limitations ending with arousal.

Please raise your min pressure to 8.  Then another look at your chart,  then maybe another boost.  There is a decent chance that you will need a biLevel with its pressure support to treat this.

Thanks for all your input.  Could sleep position cause any increase in RERA's.  Too high pillow causing neck being bent too much?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible wrong sleep positioning could increase events of any type.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 01:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: Flex should work nut never does.  I can manipulate a ResMed into providing 2 cmw worth of pressure support but cannot.  BiLevel in the next level of machine above the APAP and allows a significant difference between inhale and exhale pressures called Pressure Support.  This is effective for treating Hypopneas, Flow, Limitations, RERAs, and snores, and is also useful for treating UARS.  

The first step is to increase pressure to see if you need to, or not get a more capable machine.

RERAs are always bad because by definition they all end in arousal, one of the big things we try to avoid or eliminate.

Okay, trying to learn.  Woke up at 2:30 for bathroom, fell back asleep with no CA's.  But woke again around 6ish, as sun started brightening and wife got up.  Tried to go back to sleep but kept rousing.  Confirmed with data.  See chart.  Is this just normal SWJ?

Also, got no idea about RERA fluctuations from night to night.  Last night was over 2, night before <0.5

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
What's your diagnostic history? Sleep study?

Sure seems like something consistent with UARS, and per bonjour, a bilevel may better treat that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep study showed apnea with OA, a non-CPAP AHI of 67.  As best I can discern, there were no CA’s observed, but it was a rough night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2019, 08:59 AM)Mpadgett714 Wrote: Sleep study showed apnea with OA, a non-CPAP AHI of 67.  As best I can discern, there were no CA’s observed, but it was a rough night.

Wow.

I'm wondering about RERAs and your RDI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2019, 09:18 AM)slowriter Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:59 AM)Mpadgett714 Wrote: Sleep study showed apnea with OA, a non-CPAP AHI of 67.  As best I can discern, there were no CA’s observed, but it was a rough night.

Wow.

I'm wondering about RERAs and your RDI.

I had 0 RERA’s.  RDI during NREM was 34, during REM was 0 and TST was 28
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with bonjour's previous recommendation for a higher minimum pressure of 8.0, and would not be reluctant to set it as high as 9.0 contingent on comfort. There is sufficient evidence of obstruction and flow limitation in these charts, that higher pressure seems to be indicated, and the Philips is not particularly good at getting there without setting the minimum high enough. This is particularly true when an individual does not snore as we see here. Resmed's Autoset will quickly raise pressure on flow limitation, but Philips will just sit there at minimum pressure.

What Flex setting are you using? Please consider posting a close-up of the chart (2-minute segments) in areas where you are concerned about events. We can actually interpret whether the events are arising from flow restriction or other causes. Also, you mentioned that you may be using a pillow that is too tall causing your neck to flex forward and closing off the airway. This is very common, and you should read the wikis under my signature for Soft Cervical Collar and Optimizing Therapy, with a focus on the section for Positional Apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2019, 09:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I agree with bonjour's previous recommendation for a higher minimum pressure of 8.0, and would not be reluctant to set it as high as 9.0 contingent on comfort. There is sufficient evidence of obstruction and flow limitation in these charts, that higher pressure seems to be indicated, and the Philips is not particularly good at getting there without setting the minimum high enough.  This is particularly true when an individual does not snore as we see here.  Resmed's Autoset will quickly raise pressure on flow limitation, but Philips will just sit there at minimum pressure.  

What Flex setting are you using?  Please consider posting a close-up of the chart (2-minute segments) in areas where you are concerned about events. We can actually interpret whether the events are arising from flow restriction or other causes.  Also, you mentioned that you may be using a pillow that is too tall causing your neck to flex forward and closing off the airway. This is very common, and you should read the wikis under my signature for Soft Cervical Collar and Optimizing Therapy, with a focus on the section for Positional Apnea.

When I look at my pressures when I awake, it is always running at 8.5 or higher.  I will post a chart.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,284 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 182 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 192 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 200 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 166 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 109 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.