Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway events
Clear airway events
I just had my fourth night on cpap and I imported my data into Sleepyhead. Of the events I'm having, most of them are "Clear airway events." I have looked that up and I understand that those could be central apnea. What I don't understand is why during my sleep study and titration study I had no central apnea whatsoever, only obstructive. Is there something else it could be?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear airway events
CA events can occur during sleep onset or waking. Unless they are occurring in clusters or as a component of periodic breathing, we tend to ignore them, at least in relatively small numbers. We don't treat CA with higher pressure, and we'd need more information to make any judgements.

It would help if you'd complete your equipment profile as different equipment detects and flags CA a bit differently. You're welcome to post some graphs from Sleepyhead showing your concerns.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fractalice. Yes, clear airway events could be central apneas, but they could also be false positives. Can you post the details of the total number of events (central, obstructive and hypopneas)? And from the charts, are these CA events occurring at any particular time, are they clustered together or scattered through the night?

If you had no centrals in your sleep study, then these are likely to be one of two things: 1. Actual centrals brought on by your body and brain adapting to the pressure and changed oxygen / CO2 balance in your body. These usually occur in patients with fairly high pressures, and they usually go away with time. 2. False positives, which can occur while you're transitioning in and out of sleep, or due to temporary breathing pauses eg while you're changing position in your sleep.

In either case they are probably not of great concern unless there is a large number or if they are very persistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, thank you, I have updated my profile. My machine is set right now to be a cpap, not an apap, though I have requested that it be changed. I was having lung discomfort, though last night went a lot better. So, four nights:
Night 1 (7 hours):
Clear Airway: 7
Hypopnea: 3
Obstructive: 3

Night 2 (8.4 hours):
Clear Airway: 9
Hypopnea: 2
Obstructive: 3
RERA: 1

Night 3, (4.4 hours):
Clear Airway: 6
Hypopnea: 2
Obstructive: 0

Night 4, last night, first time I thought I might survive this (7 hours):
Clear Airway: 1
Hypopnea: 1
Obstructive: 2
RERA: 1

I like the theory that the clear airway events could have been part of my brain getting used to the cpap. I feel like last night I turned a corner and even though I was wide awake after 4 hours I was able to get back to sleep while wearing the mask. And obviously the numbers look good especially since on my sleep study I was having 40 events an hour during REM sleep. What do the numbers mean in the parentheses:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You can request a copy of the Clinician Manual for your machine here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

By getting the manual, you can easily enter the clinical manual and change your setting yourself to Auto mode. You may choose to keep your minimum pressure at 8, or reduce minimum pressure slightly, and let the machine titrate you.

To learn how to share your Sleepyhead data on the forum, check out this tutorial http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the Clinician Manual but since last night I seemed to do ok with the cpap mode I'll wait and talk to the doctor's office. Do the numbers in parentheses mean that's the total amount of time in seconds I spent not breathing? The 72 seems a little alarming. I'll study the imgr instructions when I'm a little more awake, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
The number in parenthesis is time in seconds, but on a CA event, there may be breathing there. In sleepyhead, go to the Daily tab and click on Events (same place you got the table). Click on the event and it will zoom in on the flag and you can see in the wave form data what happened. Do you see a flat line, or is there respiration indicated. CA events can be a bit different from an OA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for using clip again. The second CA is the "72":

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 11:24 AM)fractalice Wrote: Sorry for using clip again. The second CA is the "72":

You're still breathing a bit during that apnea, so it's not as bad as a "complete" apnea. You might look at what your minute vent and tidal volume are during that apnea. A screenshot of all 3 waveforms zoomed out a bit from your last screenshot might help.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to figure out imgr later so I can do this right...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 332 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 118 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 175 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 233 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.