Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway events
RE: Clear airway events
You should change the vertical axis scale on flow rate. ±180 is too wide. I suggest ±100.
Are the CAs that occur near 04:08 AM just before waking? If so, then ignore.

You do seem to breathe rather shallow -- at least that is my impression. Perhaps when you change scales, it will appear more normal.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a great tutorial on how to post these images: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

I think that CA is definitely one I'd rather not have, but it looks a lot like a hypopnea on the wave form. FYI the little squiggles on the mask pressure are the pressure pulses you machine uses to determine if the airway is open or closed, sort of like a sonar. A slightly larger view would be helpful because we would see if there is recovery breathing at the end of the event, and we could rule out a leak or some other interferences.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since they are decreasing, it sounds like pressure induced central events. Add that to it has only been 4 nights? My advice is to just watch the data and relax. All is well. It is common for folks to have CA events when first starting CPAP use or even when the pressure has been dramatically increased. Leave the pressure alone and just gather data. Get used to the machine, the mask, the entire thing.

As for images and the like:
inserting an attachment: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
inserting an image: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-an-Image
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree it looks like you are adjusting to the treatment. I had CAs in clusters upwards of 8, sometimes in the low teens and AHI over 20 some of the first nights. And it did calm a lot without adjustments, just several days. Personally, I like the flow rate graph at -60 to +60, and if you are breathing shallow, you'll be down around 18 to 20. The flow rate changes in lots of interesting ways throughout the night.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see there's a whole post I missed on learning how to work with the Sleepyhead software. Obviously I need to go there and do some reading.

I am comfortable with the idea that my data represents getting used to the machine particularly since I only had one clear airway event last night. Thanks all for helping me figure that out! Feeling more calm.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think when it says CA of 1 for last night, it means 1 per hour. This would be the normal. If your readings were for the whole night, which I doubt, then all ALL ALL of your 4 nights are good results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fractalice, can you confirm if the numbers in this post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid100847 are for the whole night? If so then you are achieving an excellent result and can ignore the very few apneas you're getting. That 72 second one looks like an anomaly, so unless you get that type of thing frequently I don't think there's a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing, yes, those numbers seem to be for the whole night. My MyAir dashboard for ResMed says I had 0.6 events per hour last night (7 hours total so maybe about 4 events for the night, and SleepyHead says CA 2, H 1, O 2, RERA 3).

MyAir sent me an automated email this morning saying it can take 3 months to start feeling a normal level of sleepiness which was good timing because I was just sitting here thinking, ok, so I'm getting an excellent result, why do I feel so tired? But then I also understand that the machine can't tell how much of those 7 hours I was actually asleep. I think some of my excellent results are due to being awake in bed and therefore not having any events.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No significant Clear Airway (CA) events, but just starting CPAP and still tired..
so, roughly what percentage of your 7 hours do you feel you were awake? Or, how many hours?

was this by choice, or were you having trouble getting to or staying asleep?

is your tiredness getting worse or just not getting better? It is more eyestrain'ish, fuzzy mental concentration, sleepiness or physical exhaustion that you are experiencing?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
QAL, I just started using cpap on Tuesday, and Thursday night I was so distressed by the mask that I took it off after 4 hours. I'm getting to the point where I can make it the whole night, but I take much longer to get to sleep than I'm used to and I wake up 1-2 hours before I would prefer to. Last night was the first night I wasn't wide awake at 4AM. So I'm running on a deficit from the last few nights and still getting probably 2 hours less per night than I need. But I think things are showing signs of improving. This morning I just feel physical exhaustion...I don't need to go back to bed, but I'm dragging.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 3 64 15 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 15 427 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 126 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.