Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway is the bulk of my AHI
RE: Clear airway is the bulk of my AHI
The Autoset will only go as high as necessary to satisfy the algorithm objectives for respiratory flow and obstruction, so a higher pressure is not a problem. You are bouncing off the current high setting, however, there is no harm at all in increasing that to 10 or 11 cm. I think raising the minimum pressure to 7.6 or 8.0 will also be helpful. Use your own judgement on what is comfortable for you. Leaks could easily be pressure from your pillow or sleep position. If your mouth feels dry, that can also be a source of leaks if it opens an lets air escape. Sometimes you can pull a corner of your pillow between your shoulder and jaw and solve that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've given the settings a tweak - so lets see how that gets on. On leaks, I've no idea. Its not bothering me (as far as I can tell).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite a bad night in terms of events last night - also loads of leakage from the pillows too. Also some unclassified events, but zooming in they look like CA events possibly. Not really use whats going on. Every time I up the minimum pressure my OA seem to just move up with it?!

Whole night

Zoomed in

I'd welcome some feedback. I didn't feel like I had a bad night last night. Although my mouth was quite dry - so maybe I opened it when I was sleeping? My son is ill, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had a cold coming on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great numbers. I wouldn't even think twice about them.

The UA occured after a mini arousal, the CA you were really tossing round, likely held your breath then settled in
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the same boat. CAs make up 70% of my AHI score which is usually around 1.95. Sometimes it does pop higher. Somewhere I have read that there is such a thing as false CAs that appear as a CPAP user is coming out of REM sleep and starting to awaken. In my case CAs usually appear around 4:30am which typically for me is when I start to awaken. Out of habit I try to go back to sleep so I'll reach that magic (subjective?) 7th hour of machine usage, but I rarely go back into a deep sleep at that point. My sleep lab has mandated a minimum of 4 hours CPAP treatment per night, but I have seen sites that say 5 should be your minimum and even the MyAir app deducts points when you have fewer than 7 hours per night. So last night I tried an experiment. At 4:30 when I awoke as usual, I shut off the machine and unmasked. This gave me 6hr20min for the night. My AHI for the night was 0.79 (0.32 CA, 0.32 Hypo, 0.15 Obstructive). Two questions:

1- Is there an ideal number of hours one should aim for when using CPAP?
2- Is there in fact something called "false CAs" and if so, what is their cause?

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
The most common cause of "false" CAs are holding your breath while tossing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I've been know to do that too!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar issue. CAs often are the bulk of my AHI score,  but they almost always occur around 4:30am. Typically this is when I start to wake up and it is just after 6 hours of sleep. Believing that 7 hours is the ideal amount of time to be hooked up, I'll stay in bed, hooked up, for an extra hour. That extra hour is when the CAs occur. I'll give you a typical example. The other night I was on CPAP for 7hrs and 4min. My AHI for the night was 1.84. Just at the 6hr mark I awoke, unplugged and went to the bathroom. For those 6 hours, my AHI was 0.83 and my CA was 0.17. Went back to bed, and hooked up again for 1hr and 4min. For that period my AHI was 7.5 and my CA was 5.62

I've been on a Resmed Airsense 10 (APAP) since the Fall of 2020. I am an 81 year old male. Pressure range is 8-14, EPR is 3 and fulltime. I use a Dreamwear nasal cushion and mouthtape. Average pressure is just a tick under 10 and leak rate is <1l/min.

My question: What is going on here with my CAs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone else said on here that CA also happen when you change sleeping positions. Often you hold your breath when you move. I suspect that this might be a strong cause. Especially if it's the last bit of sleep near waking and you're restless
Post Reply Post Reply
I almost always inhale directly prior to holding my breath, move, and then exhale. This looks very different than most CAs look like on a flow rate curve.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 122 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 237 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 908 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,898 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.