Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clicking feeling in throat as I fall asleep.
Clicking feeling in throat as I fall asleep.
Hi all,

I've used cpap with success for a couple of years but am now encountering this problem. When I have a brief wakeup in the morning, I can feel a clicking sound/feeling deep in my throat on inhale. It wakes me right up and I can't go back to sleep. I use resmed airsense 10 with nasal pillow. Any suggestions? Could my throat be too dry? I use auto to start with a lower pressure but it often guesses wrong and increases pressure while I'm still awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clicking feeling in throat as I fall asleep.
I've experienced this too.

But I have no idea what to advise.

Does changing your sleep position help?
Post Reply Post Reply
What did you do? I reduced my starting and low set pressure, and increased ramp time. It seems like lying on my back helps? (But typically not great for apnea)
Post Reply Post Reply
When you have been asleep for a while, you probably swallow some air.  Late in the cycle, near wake time, you turn over on your left side and find that you're in a natural position to express pent-up pressure in your stomach.  When you begin to slip back into sleep, or even when you begin to relax after turning, your throat opens slightly due to the reduced pressure during inhalation, and your throat loads up with a bit of stomach air, which makes a small clicking sound that is repeated rapidly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting take. So is there any solution to this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 134 Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 12 380 04-16-2024, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 110 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,144 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 74 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 353 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 110 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.