Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clicking noise after changing hose, mask, etc.
Clicking noise after changing hose, mask, etc.
Since I have a large supply of spare stuff, yesterday I decided to do a complete refresh. I replaced my old mask, tubing, humidifier chamber and filters with new identical items. Then last night my machine was making a new noise, a single "click" at the start of each inhale and each exhale. It was noticeable enough that my wife mentioned it this morning. I have no idea what caused this. I took a brief nap this afternoon without the humidifier and didn't hear the noise. Has anyone else experienced this? My equipment: DreamStation Auto BiPAPm heated hose, N20 mask. Thanks, Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clicking noise after changing hose, mask, etc.
I get this all too frequently as well. I believe it's the humidifier seal(s). 2 things seem to work for me: 1) forcing myself to take less forceful breaths (when awake); and 2) jiggling / reinserting the humidifier chamber or moving it against the wall if it isn't or vice versa if it is. sometimes I also get a loud whistling sound and the same remedies apply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can the seals for the humidifiers be purchased separately? Seems like a waste to have to buy a whole new humidifier tub just cause a lid seal went bad.  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
My Simplus mask has what appears to be a one-way check valve located where the tubing attaches. It's just a flap of thin plastic-like material. When a drop of moisture gets on that flap I get that clicking noise.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2019, 02:28 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Can the seals for the humidifiers be purchased separately? Seems like a waste to have to buy a whole new humidifier tub just cause a lid seal went bad.  Thinking-about

The seals can be purchased separately. A quick search on Amazon shows they are available for under $10. And there are YouTube videos showing how to replace.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2019, 02:22 PM)sheepless Wrote: I get this all too frequently as well.  I believe it's the humidifier seal(s).  2 things seem to work for me: 1) forcing myself to take less forceful breaths (when awake); and 2) jiggling / reinserting the humidifier chamber or moving it against the wall if it isn't or vice versa if it is.  sometimes I also get a loud whistling sound and the same remedies apply.

Thanks sheepless. I think you are probably right. If it happens again I will try to reposition the chamber and see if that helps, or failing that I can switch to another chamber.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2019, 03:24 PM)bluesboybob Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 02:28 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Can the seals for the humidifiers be purchased separately? Seems like a waste to have to buy a whole new humidifier tub just cause a lid seal went bad.  Thinking-about

The seals can be purchased separately. A quick search on Amazon shows they are available for under $10. And there are YouTube videos showing how to replace.

Okay, thanks and good to know. I'd like to have one or two on hand just in case.

I'll pass though on the YouTube video on how to remove / install. I think I got that much figured out.  Wink

Well darn it.......I checked Amazon and EBAY for that particular water tub lid seal. No luck.  Dont-know

A whole new OEM reservoir can be had for under $20.00 shipped. I have two on hand. I'm good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2019, 04:32 PM)Big Guy Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 03:24 PM)bluesboybob Wrote:

Okay, thanks and good to know. I'd like to have one or two on hand just in case.

I'll pass though on the YouTube video on how to remove / install. I think I got that much figured out.  Wink

Well darn it.......I checked Amazon and EBAY for that particular water tub lid seal. No luck.  Dont-know

A whole new OEM reservoir can be had for under $20.00 shipped. I have two on hand. I'm good.

Sorry, I was looking at parts for a PR DreamStation, which is what I started this thread about. Looks like you're using a different machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2019, 05:09 PM)bluesboybob Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 04:32 PM)Big Guy Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 03:24 PM)bluesboybob Wrote: The seals can be purchased separately. A quick search on Amazon shows they are available for under $10. And there are YouTube videos showing how to replace.

Sorry, I was looking at parts for a PR DreamStation, which is what I started this thread about. Looks like you're using a different machine.

Not a problem. I should have mentioned that I'm using a ResMed machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a follow-up to the original post, last night my machine was making the noise again, a single "click" at the beginning of each inhale and again at the beginning of each exhale. So during the night, I switched back to my old humidifier reservoir and the noise stopped. There is something about the new reservoir that was causing the noise. I am pretty sure that what I was hearing was the reservoir shifting positions with each breath from the pressure or flow difference between inhale and exhale. It was a mechanical click as if the chamber impacted something.

For those unfamiliar with the DreamStation, the humidifier design is a bit of a contraption. To prepare it for use the lid of the humidifier pivots open, and the filled reservoir is placed loosely in a tray. When the lid is closed the reservoir moves forward against the inlet seal, and a seal in the lid contacts the reservoir top to secure the outlet. There are linkages involved, and it's probably more complex than necessary. (As a retired design engineer I am a firm believer that simpler is usually better.) The only thing that keeps the chamber from shifting position during use is the compressive force exerted by the top and inlet seals. Something about my new chamber allowed it to shift, even though it did not appear to be leaking. I couldn't detect any physical difference between the new and old chambers, but they definitely performed differently in the machine.

Anyway, I am done investigating and consider the problem resolved. I just wanted to let anyone know what I found in case they experience a similar issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,273 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.