Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clicking noise from CPAP when breathing
Clicking noise from CPAP when breathing
Hello All,

First time poster/new member but I've been following apnea board for quite a while and have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you, I've taken a strong interest in my therapy.

Recently my PR System One had started to make clicking noise every time I inhale and exhale. The clicks are intermittent and I can go for a couple of nights with nothing and other nights I can't get it stop. I can usually stop it by opening and closing the humidifier door by giving it a good slam shut. The clicks appear to be coming from the exhaust port on top of the humidifier (where you plug the hose in.)

I've called my supplier and they have never heard of this problem. They are also checking to see if Philips will cover this on warranty which I've been told they likely will. But I am curious if anyone out there has had a similar issue. I believe there is something loose in the exhaust port. I'm tempted to see if I can take it apart but I realize that would be foolish and would void any warranty. (The machine is 1.5 years old.) Other than this issue, my machine has worked very well for me. My sleep test showed an AHI of 26. In the last year my AHI has dropped to an average of around 1. I'm not tired all the time now, I don't have that hung over feeling and even my co-workers have commented that I look well rested in the morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clicking noise from CPAP when breathing
I had a similar noise from my Resmed. It had one leg sitting on the doily and would rock back and forth. Removed the doily and the machine sits flat on the table.

Problem solved.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fedman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Since your machine is under warranty, you should exchange it for another one.
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Fedman,

I am thinking that by "exhaust port" you mean the port leading to the hose connection. Is this correct?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaytonA,

That's correct. It's the swivel port leading to the hose connection. I notice that when I put pressure on the humidifier door while the machine is on, it stops clicking. When I let go, it starts up again. Has to be something loose that moves every time I inhale and exhale but I can't figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's pretty easy to change out the humidifier seals and exhaust port seal. Supplier #1 sells these parts, and they won't break the bank. Look up the humidifier elbow seal for System One. You can also get the dry box and inlet seals. I just entered the search term "System One Humidifier Seal" on the site and got all the results.

(removed image due to .com watermark)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could it be that the top of the water tank is not completely closed?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the exact same issue . My dreamstation is only 6 months old
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a similar "clicking" with a Philips/Resp BiPAP machine after the 1st few months. There was also an increase in AHI's, and PB's. The supplier wanted me to send it in to them for "diagnosis" stating it was probably fluid in the tubing, position of the machine, ect. I called the manufacturer directly &  they gave me a "work order number" to give the supplier and said the machine needed to be sent back to them. Finally after several months using a temp. replacement we were sent a brand new machine - no  clicking and problems with the new machine. Much improved AHI's.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
My BiPAP is doing the exact same thing.  I've had it for 7 months and it just recently started (and is intermittent, although happening fairly frequently). The clicking is definitely coming from the "hatch" to the humidifier.... because I can make it stop by putting pressure on the cover.  Very annoying and keeps me awake at first and later if I wake up.  It definitely is synched with inhales and exhales, although it doesn't do it on every breath.  I can't discern a pattern. And I can't figure out to make it stop.   Any solutions you've discovered?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,066 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,256 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.